Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 AM

14 posts, read 28,889 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Just looking for some advice from neutral parties on what would be best financially. My fiancee and I purchased a home on Long Island (NY) last spring and earlier this year my company moved to Virginia. I was offered a raise plus moving costs to go. Currently i am able to work from home and there is no concrete deadline date that i need to move by and we have already decided that we want to move.

With the market the way it is it is not looking like i will be able to sell my house and have enough to cover a down payment on the type of house i would want to purchase in VA (a newer, larger house where we can start a family) right away. I would probably come out about $5,000 - $10,000 short of closing costs + down payment on the type of house we are looking for. My fiancee and I want our next house to be one that we will not grow out of in 5 years after we start having children.

This brings me to the dilemma of whether or not to:

1) Rent out my house here (i could get enough in rent to cover the mortgage/taxes/insurance every month) and rent a place there

2) Just sell my house for what i can get and rent there initially.

3) Hold out and try to get what i need right now to go purchase the home we want in VA.

Our house has been on the market for almost two months now, we had one offer but the buyers had offers on multiple houses and chose another one and we have had less and less showings as time has gone on, which to me indicates that we need to drop our list price.

The hope in renting the house here would be that in a year or so, the market around here may come back (at least a little bit) and we would also owe about $1,000 - $2,000 less on mortgage and other bills that would need to be paid out of the home sale price. Obviously the problem is that we would be absentee landlords and still responsible for the house. Also, i received the $8,000 tax credit for being a first time homebuyer which would need to be paid back next April (or April of 2013) if the house is converted to a rental property.

If we were to sell our house here for less and rent for a while, we can probably put aside around $5,000 - $10,000 in a year and be in a position a year from now to go ahead and purchase the house we would like in VA. I would also not have to pay back the tax credit, as i am able to show that i did not turn a profit on the house due to all of the repair work we had done (new roof at $9,000 wiped that out). However, my concern is that if interest rates rise or home prices rise, we may not be able to do so at that time. I love owning my own house and don't want to get into a position where I will be renting for years and years trying to chase another real estate market boom.

Also of note is that by moving, we will be in a much better financial position on a month to month basis (whether we buy or rent). Right now we have very little disposable income between us with no real savings to speak of.

Any advice/insight/tips would be appreciated. This whole thing has been more stressful than buying the house in the first place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 10:49 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,673,474 times
You said: recently married, no kids, moving to an unknown (to you) area, no mention of wifes plans but plans to wait 5 years on a family so I can assume she will be working, move would be an economic advantage, etc. I would go for Option #2. Sell and rent there.

Personally I do not not see home sales prices rising soon. At best I see them leveling thus I do not think you waiting a tear or so to repurchase is an issue.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:53 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,505,374 times
You also have to take into account being an absentee landlord. If something breaks in the home (waterheater, roof, plumbing, etc.) it's coming out of your pocket. If you're not there to pop by the place from time to time you're going to have the added cost of having a management company take care of everything for you.

I have to agree that option #2 sounds better unless you're planning on moving back to LI anytime soon.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
You said: recently married, no kids, moving to an unknown (to you) area, no mention of wifes plans but plans to wait 5 years on a family so I can assume she will be working, move would be an economic advantage, etc. I would go for Option #2. Sell and rent there.

Personally I do not not see home sales prices rising soon. At best I see them leveling thus I do not think you waiting a tear or so to repurchase is an issue.
Thanks, that's actually where I'm leaning towards it's just hard to swallow the thought of losing about 20k - 30k (between closing costs spent last spring and home repairs since then) to go and rent somewhere, but I'm starting to think it's for the best and it will all work out in the end. Just wanted to get some outside opinions to make sure i'm not missing something.

Thanks again!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
You also have to take into account being an absentee landlord. If something breaks in the home (waterheater, roof, plumbing, etc.) it's coming out of your pocket. If you're not there to pop by the place from time to time you're going to have the added cost of having a management company take care of everything for you.

I have to agree that option #2 sounds better unless you're planning on moving back to LI anytime soon.
No plans to move back and we already discussed and agreed that we would stick it out (even if we hated it) for a couple years. I would basically be relying on either of our parents or family members watching the house, but i'm dreading getting that 2 a.m. phone call that there's a flood in the basement or something which is really pushing me away from option 1.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
In all but the most robust markets such as the blip of time called the bubble, it's tough to flip a house in a year's time and break even.

Being on LI, the season is working against you regardless of what you do.

If I were in this situation, I would be inclined to sell it sooner and rent in the new location. Way too many folks have been waiting for a better Spring Market for the past 5 years.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:27 AM

810 posts, read 3,307,924 times
When we moved from Michigan to Georgia this year, we thought about renting out the Michigan house. We did not have enough equity in the Michigan house to buy a house in Georgia and rent out the house in Michigan. We had the down payment for the Georgia house though. So we ended up selling the Michigan house and barely broke even (netted $2,000).

Looking back, I'm glad we sold the Michigan house. This summer there were some severe storms that took out many trees in the neighborhood and flooded many basements. It never happened while we were living there. It's one less thing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate