Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 02:45 PM

12 posts, read 31,571 times

Advertisements

So, I just inked a contract with a seller. The home inspection found an active leak in the roof and a leak in the pool under the concrete deck; plus a laundry list of small things I chose to ignore. The estimate to repair the major items is about $9200 - $9700 depending on the condition of the roof under the shingles. After much negotiating, my R/E agent got the seller to contribute $7000. The appraisal from BoA came back equal to the sale price so I assume the sale price reflects a move in ready house...right?

Question:
Did I give up too much by accepting a $7000 repair amount or should I have walked away from the deal? (According to my agent, I dont think the seller would come off any more. The only other option was to walk. ) Is it the norm for a seller to contribute 100% of the repair items or a fraction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 03:06 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,986,737 times
I would have asked for 100%. What does your contract say? Usually there is a dollar amount set for repairs needed found on the inspection results. I think my inspections always said $500. If it was more, I could get out if I wanted if the seller didn't want to fix it.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:41 PM

we did ask for 100%. the seller would not concede. the contract was an "as is" contingent upon buyers discretion after the home inspection. the home inspection turned up a lot of things, so the repair limit would have been exceeded immediately. seemed like a wise move at the time.

i guess the real question would be, how do you determine a true value when no comps are around to justify it? is my appraisal accurate or conservative since it was done by the lender (BoA)?

Old 07-11-2008, 03:45 PM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times
I would walk!

Old 07-11-2008, 03:48 PM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times
By the way why would you ignore the rest...that doesn't sound very smart. It can cost you a lot later on when you you aren't able to ignore it...I guess you are emotionally to attached already....nice, but many people have experienced that buying a home is also a business deal or it will hunt you later on.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:52 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,228,814 times
Default Forget the appraisal

It all depends on how much of a "deal" you got on the home. If he sold it to you for $20k under market, I could live with a few thousand in repairs.

Now if you paid top dollar, that's a different ball game.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:55 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,889,989 times
I can understsnd you not walking if you really want the place, but if you did, then the seller would have to assume the entire amount of the repair, so he would be better off giving you the full amout. That way he is assured a buyer, where as if you walk, he pays the whole bill, and has to start over looking for a buyer. In today's market, that isn't very wise on the sellers part. Your realtor needs to grow a pair...!

Old 07-11-2008, 04:01 PM

true. according to my shopping research, the house is a good deal. the appraisal threw me for a loop as I was expecting it to be higher. i think BoA was just being conservative.

i tried and tried not to be emotionally involved. it's hard to distance yourself when you find something that hits you just right. hopefully with more experience, i'll be more robotic with my purchases. just hope this one dosen't bite me!

thanks for the input..

Old 07-11-2008, 05:06 PM

786 posts, read 3,926,735 times
3 years ago when we sold our home in a good market, we paid 100% of the things the inspection found that the seller wanted corrected (a radon system and another item in the basement to do with drainage). We did it because it was the right thing to do, even though we weren't aware of the issues and had bought it 2 years prior with no such findings.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:17 PM

15,584 posts, read 40,460,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Your realtor needs to grow a pair...!
I've had clients that loved a home so much that they purchased a home with many significant problems that the seller's refused to fix. I thought they were getting into a money pit, but they really wanted the house.

We can only do so much. The rest is a decision on the part of the buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate