Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 11:23 AM

424 posts, read 1,480,735 times

Advertisements

The seller tells me (in an email) that the earnest deposit can be used for another home within an year if my contract falls through. Without a signed addendum, would this email suffice if we had issues down the road with being able to use our deposit for another home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 11:35 AM

213 posts, read 728,734 times
If the contract ends for any reasons but u walkin away u get the money back

Old 11-23-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind View Post
If the contract ends for any reasons but u walkin away u get the money back
Unfortunately we don't have any financial contingencies on the contract so I am told I would lose it even if my loan falls through for some reason.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:03 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,506,136 times
Why in the world would the seller be telling you that you have to use the EM within a year? Would you be buying a different house from the same seller? Normally, if the deal falls through, and you are going to get your EM back, whoever has the EM just cuts you a check.

Is the seller a builder, and they are already holding the EM?

The short answer to your question is "usually not". Emailed communication is usually treated as just a conversation, in my experience. If they changed their mind and decided to fight you on it, and you had nothing with their signature on it, they would probably win. But if you don't have a contingency, and would otherwise be completely forfeiting your EM, I probably wouldn't push them on it, or they may change their mind now.

Either way, really need more information to give an educated answer.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:07 PM

More research and calling more builders in the area (Northern VA) - it appears as though this builder isn't necessarily unique. Almost all of the, have an Earnest Deposit requirement of 5% of the base price and do NOT have a contingency clause. Meaning, if your loan falls through, you lose the money. As simple as that. This appears a bit strange and bizarre to me in a market that isn't even close to being good (though the houses do seem to sell just fine in the area) but unfortunately that appears to be the case.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:19 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,506,136 times
Ok, so it is a builder.

Are you allowing the contract to be written up on the builder's forms? They are always biased toward the seller. Are you not working with your own agent? If you were using your state approved (board approved, whoever approved) generic forms, they are almost certainly much more balanced.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:36 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,946,677 times
Northern VA? Something does not sound right, at all. How on earth did you get a home built without a mortgage preapproval?

Old 11-23-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Northern VA? Something does not sound right, at all. How on earth did you get a home built without a mortgage preapproval?
Don't follow you. Home is built by the builder. We just signed the contract to purchase it and the contract does not have a financial contingency. Builder just needed an earnest deposit. Understandable, because they stand to gain that money whether or not my loan is approved. This is standard process and no different from how other builders appear to do it, at least in the area.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
Don't follow you. Home is built by the builder. We just signed the contract to purchase it and the contract does not have a financial contingency. Builder just needed an earnest deposit. Understandable, because they stand to gain that money whether or not my loan is approved. This is standard process and no different from how other builders appear to do it, at least in the area.
I'm sorry, but this still doesn't sound right, there has to be more to this story. My market is No. VA and my business is primarily builder referred. Yes, builder's can keep the EMD if you tie up the property for a period of time, have your preferences installed into the home (carpet, tile, cablnets, etc), but no reputable builder is going to sign a contract without a lender letter or their inhouse mortgage company approving the loan. Did you do something to change your financial situation?

Old 11-23-2011, 05:14 PM

I just read your post on the No. VA thread Lender deposit and Financial Contingency

It's not that the builder won't give you a finance contingency, it's that he won't give it to you for the length of time you need, up to a month prior to closing six months from now. It's unreasonable for you to expect a builder to tie up a lot for you with a contingency, to maybe get a mortgage loan next May. I don't know of any builder willing to do that, in fact, most won't even accept a contract without a strong lender letter, which it sounds like something you won't be able to provide, unless it's subject to income.

Builders take a hit when they load the home with your preference items, items another buyer may not want. I can see why he wants a non-refundable deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate