Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,306 times

Advertisements

Can anyone steer me where to go to find information about what lots originally sold for in different communities, and what the asking price is for said lots now? Looking to invest and need to research market first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 03:21 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,996,700 times
That question is very general. Do you have an address or owner name? If so your county's Registrar of Deeds is where you want to start or the local Assessor's office. Beware, though, researching a deed and/or ownership history can become quite involved and you should know what you're doing and what to look for. I do this for my Buyers but only when they are definitely going to make an offer because of the time involved.
Most Buyers want to know this information because they think it will factor into their offer (i.e., if the current owner bought it for $50K, 50 years ago and doesn't owe anything on it, I can buy it for $100K, even though the market value is $300K. Hey! The seller's still making $50K! Right? NOT). Remember, some properties transfer within families for $1 or $100, love and consideration. Look for liens, mortgages, discharges, blah, blah, blah.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:29 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jane B View Post
Can anyone steer me where to go to find information about what lots originally sold for in different communities, and what the asking price is for said lots now? Looking to invest and need to research market first.
Depends. If the builder is also the development company, you may not be able to find the specific "lot sale" price. It will just show the lot + home sale price. If the developer sold the lots off to different builders, then you should be able to go to your county's website and find the info. Many have GIS type info online (aerial satellite maps which show individual parcels which you can click on and get the property info).

Old 09-18-2007, 06:48 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Start w/MLS # and most realtors here can give you history I believe.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:47 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
Jack, different agents belong to different MLS's. We don't have access to all the MLS's in the country, only the ones we are licensed for in our state, and only the ones we have chosen to pay dues to. I can only check on information in my own MLS in Hampton Roads, I have no idea what is going on with Capecodcathy's MLS.

Just an FYI.

shelly

Old 09-18-2007, 08:55 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
Jack, different agents belong to different MLS's. We don't have access to all the MLS's in the country, only the ones we are licensed for in our state, and only the ones we have chosen to pay dues to. I can only check on information in my own MLS in Hampton Roads, I have no idea what is going on with Capecodcathy's MLS.

Just an FYI.

shelly
you're right.

I would check w/housing bubble blogs to that local market. I know SoCal and NJ (just to name a few)each have their own bubble blogs and if you list the MLS, people would gladly give you the skinny on homes you are interested.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate