Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:11 PM

178 posts, read 540,592 times

Advertisements

I suppose you've already checked with your insurance company about having renters?
Actually the best deterrent against vandals entering the home might be getting a renter with one or more really big, irritable dogs...that won't be there during showings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:11 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Live in a nice house for dirt cheap?
Yes, the rent would be cheap. But they'd also have to keep the house in top condition at all times, which would involve daily housework and regular work in the yard. Plus they'd still have to work their normal job and I'd imagine an arrangement like this would deter them from entertaining. And they still have to pay to live there. Then they'd have to go somewhere during showings (a pain) and where do they go once the place sells?

I'm not sure what kind of person you'd find for that position.

As for banning children, I guess if you say you only want one person living there, that would get around that.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:37 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
I have run into this a few times doing home inspections. Each time it has been a single older lady living in the house.
One house it was obvious the furniture was the owners. In another, the house was mostly vacant with just a few pieces of furniture.
I talked to one woman at length about her arrangement. It seems like a good set up for her and the sellers. She was happy, and they had someone living in their house.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Yes, the rent would be cheap. But they'd also have to keep the house in top condition at all times, which would involve daily housework and regular work in the yard. Plus they'd still have to work their normal job and I'd imagine an arrangement like this would deter them from entertaining. And they still have to pay to live there. Then they'd have to go somewhere during showings (a pain) and where do they go once the place sells?

I'm not sure what kind of person you'd find for that position.

As for banning children, I guess if you say you only want one person living there, that would get around that.
There is at least one company that specializes in this. Years ago (before we had kids) and we were looking to rent in a new place and we considered doing this. Honestly I don't remember all the details, but if someone is looking to save some money it isn't a terrible choice. I remember they wanted pictures of all our furniture to make sure it was up to their standards. I think the main reason we didn't do this was because at that time there wasn't a place available that we wanted to live in.

I do remember asking what happens when that house sells. They said the first option would be to move us to another house where they needed people. I think they would also pay for the moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate