Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 9,475 times

Advertisements

ABOUT:
--Not using a buyer's agent (should have, but found out about them after we signed)
--No RE Lawyer yet
--We are using the builder's lender for a 12.5k options discount
--Base price was 335K w/ about 80K options (we gave 10,000 earnest money when signing and another 30,000 because builder required anything over 40,000 options to be paid for)

We're closing next Wednesday and had a purchase contract with the builder at 412K, house appraised for 413K from the lender's own appraiser. There is a similar house built in 2009 with almost the same upgrades as us that is currently selling for 295K that the appraiser did not compare to (our house has walkout basement and his does not). He compared 2 homes in subdivision (no walkout basement) and 4 homes in other parts of the city.

What are our options here? Can we have our own appraisal done? Can we hire a RE Lawyer/Attorney to negotiate for us and have another appraisal run or is that something only buyer's agents do?

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 07:36 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
The lender's appraiser by law must not be directly associated with the lender and under their influence. Usually they are selected by another independent company that coordinates appraisals for lenders. So it is unlikely that the appraiser was biased to provide a particular valuation.

You can try to appeal the appraisal with the lender if you think you can show it was not done correctly, perhaps by paying for a review with another appraiser. However, the lender will not use your appraisal in place of the original appraisal. Even though the other homes he used had no walkout basement like yours, there should have been a price adjustment in the appraisal report to account for the difference. He also can only use homes that have recently sold. Homes currently for sale do not count.

If you thought it was overvalued, why did you agree to the builder's price in the first place? Or did you not see the other house until later?

Old 05-16-2012, 07:44 PM

4 posts, read 9,475 times
Yeah I didn't see the other houses until later (recently listed about 3 months ago during construction of my house) ... I also should have used a buyer's agent so they could have negotiated the price before the contract ... I didn't know the base prices were negotiable since they were giving a 12.5K discount on options, I just went with it. Dumb mistake I know.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neohot View Post
...I didn't know the base prices were negotiable since they were giving a 12.5K discount on options, I just went with it. Dumb mistake I know.
Base prices are difficult to negotiate with builders. They are more flexible on spec homes (already under construction), or as they get to the end of building out their subdivision. They usually will only want to negotiate on options/upgrades.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:53 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quite direct, I know - but you are going thru a serious last minute bout of buyer's remorse. You are paying a premium for new, for having it your way, for untouched carpets and walls, never before used toilets. Warranty and all. It appears there were better comps that a 3 year old home without a walkout basement. rjrcm is right, getting a "fixed" appraisal isn't easy to pull off in today's environment. But if you are really concerned value is not there......1) pay another professional to review the report, then 2) order an appraisal on your own, delay your closing until your new report is in. If your loss is truly more than 10K, walk away.

If your findings do show there was a blatant reach for value, you could come out with your earnest money.....but that's a longshot. I suspect the value of the home you are buying can be supported. If anything, the reports have been coming in on the low side, not the high side. Over 80% of the loans I do are new construction. You will rarely get dollar for dollar of the options and upgrades, unless they are for additional square footage.

Edited to add: by all means consult an attorney, but without hard-core proof, chances are they'll listen politely, maybe even make a phone call or two, but remember, lawyers are about contracts, what were the builder's missteps, not about what's not fair with the sale.

Last edited by SmartMoney; 05-16-2012 at 09:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate