Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:33 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times

Advertisements

Am I remembering your situation correctly in that your house isn't complete? If that is the case, you have to drop the price. I would also have a regular price drop every 30 days, even if it is only $5,000 to show your motivation to prospective buyers.

To the other agents on here, if I remember her situation correctly, since she is out in the middle of nowhere, agents were willing to put it on the MLS for her, but not do showings due to the drive. So she was getting limited service representation anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 AM

115 posts, read 364,012 times
you need to make sure your home is posted on zillow.com . They have a huge following and get a lot of traffic. When I see a home that's FSBO I usually stray away because I know that it is usually overpriced or the pics don't make me want to come see it.. very low quality. However, that's me, and you should do what makes you feel comfortable.. make sure your home is on zillow though.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:17 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Getting back to the original topic question... try raising your price instead of lowering it. The buyer you're looking for today will be dismissive of anything under 750,000 or even a mil.
Don't overlook this advice. I think you should give it a try.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:28 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevionisDream View Post
you need to make sure your home is posted on zillow.com . They have a huge following and get a lot of traffic. When I see a home that's FSBO I usually stray away because I know that it is usually overpriced or the pics don't make me want to come see it.. very low quality. However, that's me, and you should do what makes you feel comfortable.. make sure your home is on zillow though.
Zillow? Really...this is pretty worthless advice. I'm sorry, that was probably rude or too blunt...but it's the truth.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:34 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Zillow? Really...this is pretty worthless advice.
The suggestion underlying the posters words... to be sure that the agent doing the MLS listing (on any
property) makes sure it shows up in all the other search engines (redfin, trulia and even zillow)... has merit.
Lot's and LOT's of merit.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:18 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Am I remembering your situation correctly in that your house isn't complete? If that is the case, you have to drop the price. I would also have a regular price drop every 30 days, even if it is only $5,000 to show your motivation to prospective buyers.

To the other agents on here, if I remember her situation correctly, since she is out in the middle of nowhere, agents were willing to put it on the MLS for her, but not do showings due to the drive. So she was getting limited service representation anyway.
Excellent memory, Silverfall! The house is maybe 90-95% complete. Like the advice to lower the price every 30 days, especially as this is prime season. Yes, we're (still) out in the middle of nowhere and were fortunate to find a broker 4 hours away willing to list the house as FSBO for a flat fee on Realtor.com plus several other websites. He said there have been 556 hits on our listing on Realtor.com since March. We did drop the price to well below $500K. We so want to get the house sold and return to the PNW!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:55 PM

115 posts, read 364,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Zillow? Really...this is pretty worthless advice. I'm sorry, that was probably rude or too blunt...but it's the truth.
Not rude... ignorant. Zillow is a search tool used by thousands of home buyers. It's not rather you like them or not, it's rather your home is going to be seen or not.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:36 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
Have you thought about listing the home in the Robb Report magazine? I don't know anything about their advertising fees or what your house looks like, but you may have to raise the price as others suggested to reach a new level of prospective buyers. I have flipped through the magazine several times while killing time at the bookstore and I always see luxury homes advertised in there. However, it may fall below their standards based on the initial cost to build.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:51 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Keep in mind that there are some house that couldn't even be given away. You may like the location, but the chances are that few other buyers will.

Reduce the price. It does not matter one whit what it cost to build.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:45 PM

61 posts, read 151,316 times
Have you considered getting an appraisal? You may have to call a few appraisers to find one willing and able to do it, but it seems like a better approach then just basing it on construction costs, then reducing price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate