Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 07:10 PM

7 posts, read 24,488 times

Advertisements

** sorry i meant buying washer and dryer from ""Builder"
Seems like i can't edit title..

I recently purchased new constructed home... Closing date is next spring and i am choosing interior colors and options now

Refrigerator, range, microwave and dishwasher are included in home purchase price.. Only thing I need to buy is washer and dryer. And they told me i can choose to buy washer and dryer from them as an option...

GE front load washer and dryer with pedestals are $1500 if i am buying from them...
3.6 cubic ft washer and 7.0 cubic ft dryer...

This is not huge but I will be the only one who lives at that home and probably sometimes my mom stays with me. So i don't think i need super big washer and dryer. and it seems like $1500 is good deal.

Is there any reason you don't wanna buy appliances from home builder? (ex. they are using old model?, hidden fee?) I am almost convinced to buy washer/dryer from my builder tho... Any though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 07:37 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie723 View Post
Is there any reason you don't wanna buy appliances from home builder?
Not often. Especially something that you'll have an almost daily need to use.
The only question is whether the make/model are good. Few aren't.

If you really don't need a model X...
do some shopping for what suits and then ask the builder if they will substitute model Y.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,420,266 times
Just shop around first to make sure that those are the models you want and at the best price.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,894,491 times
after confirming that the models they are offering cannot be purchased at a measurable discount through other avenues, I'd try and figure out if the models they are offering are overkill

on average, $1,500 for the appliances to be rolled into your mortgage will add less than $10 a month to your mortgage, affording you to not have to come out of pocket after closing with a local retailer.. do the math, would take quite some time to break even

Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 PM

166 posts, read 411,962 times
What's it worth to you?? In a word - negotiate. "Option", "Upgrade" or "Premium" = extra profit and margin for a builder.... throw it in with the deal at the price you're thinking of offering; otherwise they don't get your signature...
Compare what the builder is offering with what you can find elsewhere. imo, don't wrap your mind over with people stating "you're paying for them for 30 years".... its not worth your sanity imo, to engage with such discussion.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:55 PM

223 posts, read 515,001 times
I bought a very good maytag he top loader for 400 delivered with ss braided hoses from HD.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,661,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie723 View Post
GE front load washer and dryer with pedestals are $1500 if i am buying from them...
3.6 cubic ft washer and 7.0 cubic ft dryer...
Front load washers are terrible to repair. When they need repairs, and they always do, the repairs are so expensive, its better to just throw them away and get a new one. Many need repairs to the rubber gasket that connects the washer to the door, a feature that top loaders do not have. The issue is soo much labor. Not the parts. I've even had repair companies tell me it will be cheaper for me to throw it away than to hire them to fix.

I've seen so many front load washers fail in less than 5 years, but top loaders go for 25 years without any issues.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:15 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,672,427 times
If only one person then I say go with a basic, inexensive model. Less features and maybe a bit noiser but for one person, more then adequate. Also I say go top load. You can get mid-line GE washer and electric dryer pair for less the $1,000.00 at Lowes. They will deliver and install.

We have had the same basic GE pair in 3 houses for over 12 years. Running as well today as 12 years ago.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
How long is the term of your mortgage going to be? Do you want to be making payments on those appliances for years after the appliances are gone and replaced? If not, don't finance the price of your appliances in your mortgage.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:33 AM

223 posts, read 515,001 times
Paying a lot of money for gadgetry that uses less water doesn't make sense if you live in a condo that covers water, or you have a small family that uses less than your allotment. My water bill is the same for 2000 gallons as 4500. Now, the hot water usage (with electric) can call for more number crunching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate