Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 06:44 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
I have always thought that one of the reasons housing snow-balled in "appreciation" so expotencially over the decades was due to the added costs of commissions that kept raising prices. With people moving every few years, cha-ching.. tack that commission cost on to the price that the buyer eventually pays.

Any thoughts?
That's an interesting theory...but I don't buy it.

As a buyer, I could care less whether or not the Seller pays a commission to a real estate broker. I'm only going to pay what I feel the property is worth. They can inflate their asking price all they want--due to improvements they may have done to the property, or due to their anticipated broker's fee--but they need a Buyer who is willing and able to purchase the property at that inflated price. People do not necessarily recoup the cost of their improvements (it's rare that they ever do) and people do not necessarily recoup the cost of selling through a broker. Despite arguments to the contrary, it is still (predominantly) the Seller who pays the commission. And no only truly NEEDS to pay a commission--they can sell or buy themselves.

Instead, I think the primary cause of rising home prices has been normal inflationary pressures, coupled with increased pressure through simple supply and demand. In more recent years (pre-bubble), I believe that housing prices were primarily driven by the criminal activity of banks and mortgage companies (e.g. creating "mortgage-backed" securities and feeding them with sub-par mortgages), and by developers and builders who put up subdivision after subdivision as if there were no tomorrow. Although all of the real estate industry shares some of the blame, it was primarily the mortgage-induced over-building which led to the bubble bursting. During this time, profits also became more lucrative as builders reduced the quality of their houses (and they've generally been going down anyway, IMO). I had family members who bought a house from CENTEX in 2005, and it is astounding how cheaply it was constructed--in terms of quality of materials, not efficiency!

Again, if I buy a house for $106,000 it's because I valued it as such, and not because the Seller may have paid a $6,000 commission. Same with a FSBO price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 07:50 PM

70 posts, read 120,302 times
You forget that real estate commissions are negotiable between broker and client, so there is not a fixed percentage a seller has to pay to sell his or her home. Blaming house price increases on commissions just doesn't make sense, if you buy a home and you haven't lived there long enough to build up any equity or if home prices went down since you purchased you would have to pay costs out of your own pocket to sell. The home prices will only bring what the market will bear. Putting the blame on real estate brokers just isn't correct.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:02 PM

166 posts, read 411,858 times
Quote:
Any thoughts?
... for as long as there is a person willing to pay what someone is asking..... market value will be found.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
The #1 culprit to the housing collapse was government meddling, plain and simple, as well as Alan Greenspan's incompetence.

Realtor commissions had nothing to do with either the boom or the bust; that can all be laid at the feet of Uncle Sam.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 PM

397 posts, read 613,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The #1 culprit to the housing collapse was government meddling, plain and simple, as well as Alan Greenspan's incompetence.

Realtor commissions had nothing to do with either the boom or the bust; that can all be laid at the feet of Uncle Sam.
Your right Mr. Tea Party, if the banks had more freedom (and less regulations) to peddle their fraudulent mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps, all of this could have been averted.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:48 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
Quote:
I have always thought that one of the reasons housing snow-balled in "appreciation" so expotencially over the decades was due to the added costs of commissions that kept raising prices. With people moving every few years, cha-ching.. tack that commission cost on to the price that the buyer eventually pays.

Any thoughts?

Good question. Here's another one for your perusal. Is nationwide inflation due in part to the part you play, by getting paid for whatever it is you do for a living? tsk. Please, work for free and help us all out.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:

Let us not forget Barney Frank.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/20...-barney-frank/

Old 12-16-2012, 06:39 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:

The only way anyone could believe that would be if they felt that bankers and mortgage brokers bore no responsibility for their criminal actions.

Oh, that's right, I forgot: The government made those upstanding bankers engage in fraudulent mortgage practices.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:26 AM

638 posts, read 1,595,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Good question. Here's another one for your perusal. Is nationwide inflation due in part to the part you play, by getting paid for whatever it is you do for a living? tsk. Please, work for free and help us all out.
Good question also. I don't work, but the majority does. I would think that nationwide inflation would be caused more from our spending habits and an over demand for products vs our salaries. However, that said, when we did quit spending, prices didn't seem to decrease very much.. (esp in relation to the devaluation of real estate markets) And now the gov't has to increase spending to help bail us out of this out of balance economic situation. It's a big mess.

I have a lot of questions about the inefficiencies of our spending habits. This one in particular always bothered me.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:04 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
No. Commissions have been around for ages. That had very little bearing on the bubble.

We all know the real reason for the housing bubble.

1. Wall Street greed/no real oversight on quality of the loans
2. Consumer greed (buying homes they couldn't afford or taking more debt than they could pay back).

It's a combo of 1 and 2 that share the blame.
Looks like you sure bought into the government and occupy mantras, fact is the reason for the housing bubble had as much to do with the government as it did with the consumer greed or the bankers.

Last edited by jwiley; 12-16-2012 at 08:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate