Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 01:43 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,929,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
Not sure, but a second offer was accepted as backup and ours rejected. the first buyers have 48 hours to decide if they want out or not since they have a selling clause.

we ended up losing to people that visited right after us. Like they were in the car waiting when we were leaving. we went straight to the office to draw up a full price offer. We didnt lose on price but on moving date. We put down 5 weeks closing but mentionned we were flexible. The other people visiting were with the broker of the firm with which the house was listed, and put in their offer to close in the end of May, when the sellers wanted to move. if i had that information i would have used it, but i didnt and the listing broker obviously did, so they used it to their advantage. ill know next time to put in flexible in our offer. Bummer
I don't know how to multi-quote.......

In your original post you stated "We sent in our offer 1% below asking....", but above you state you drew up a "full price offer". Doesn't matter I suppose, I just notice stuff like that. Maybe 1% below asking and a full price offer mean the same thing for some people.

I agree that it is a bummer the other people had information that you didn't. I call that part of The Secret Society of Realtors, which enables them to play the game how they see fit. I know, I know they follow all the rules.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,558 times
I always call the listing agent when writing an offer and ask them what do the sellers need.. (not talking about price) but all those other things.. closing date, inclusions/exclusions, etc.. I try my best to find their motivation for selling and then write the offer to cater to those terms (as long as it works my buyers). I have had great success when in multiple offer situations due to this. Don't be afraid to ask your buyer agent to make that call and see what they can find out.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:34 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I don't know how to multi-quote.......

In your original post you stated "We sent in our offer 1% below asking....", but above you state you drew up a "full price offer".
I noticed the same thing. 1% below asking is not full price in my mind. Curious about what actually happened.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 PM

115 posts, read 368,924 times
You guys are right. Asking was 223 and we sent 220 which is not full price. In my head and from my local experience in this market this is effectively giving full price, but I was careless in my second post. Some good advice given by people here. Ill definitely push to get more ancillary details in the future. In previous negotiations closing dates have never been a factor that sellers didnt mention . We would have come up 10k if given the chance

Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
Bidding wars can occur any time that a house is priced below the comparables, which some agents do deliberately to motivate a bidding war, but can also occur in other cases, e.g., when it is hard to determine exactly what the likely market price is (such as when the house is unique). So another piece of advice is to base your offer on comparables rather than on listing prices (or percent above or below) wherever possible.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
You guys are right. Asking was 223 and we sent 220 which is not full price. In my head and from my local experience in this market this is effectively giving full price, but I was careless in my second post. Some good advice given by people here. Ill definitely push to get more ancillary details in the future. In previous negotiations closing dates have never been a factor that sellers didnt mention . We would have come up 10k if given the chance
You still have the chance. I would submit a revised backup offer with flexible closing date and $10,000 more. This should blow out the other backup offers. Then hope something goes wrong with the primary deal. Which happens all the time. It's never too late until the closing takes place. It's like Galaxy Quest. Never give up. Never surrender.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 PM

115 posts, read 368,924 times
Hahaha awesome quote. I'm the only person that likes this movie that I know. That's an idea I've not thought of...a third backup offer.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Now, you know

Quote:
Asking was 223 and we sent 220 which is not full price.
You lost this house for $10/month.
Think about it.
Your market, at least the neighborhood you want to live, is no longer a buyers' market.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You lost this house for $10/month.
Think about it.
Your market, at least the neighborhood you want to live, is no longer a buyers' market.
How do you know either of these is true?

Maybe the winning bid was over asking/listing price. That happens a lot in our metro area (DC). Realtors do not disclose the terms of an offer until after closing.

As noted in my post above, the asking/listing price does not equate to market value. If the seller listed the house at well below market value, even in a buyers' market, multiple bids above asking shouldn't surprise anyone. Similarly, even though inventory is really low here (as in many other places) and it's probably a sellers' market in our community, if we listed our house for sale at 20% over comparables' prices, it would probably sit on the market a long time.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:15 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Interest rates are not going up for the forseeable future, at least through 2016 and possibly later. The Fed is going to make sure housing inflates back up to the bubble peaks.
Interest rates have already gone up. 3.1x in December, 3.375 couple of weeks ago and more than that now for well qualified 30 year.

Inflation is hitting and the Federal government in it's infinite wisdom will use that to lower the deficits.

Interest rates will likely top 4% by this time next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate