Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:09 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,616,189 times

Advertisements

In a recent report Available Here, the Charlotte market continues to fare well amidst a Nation strongly affected by the woes in the housing and credit markets.

Here are the 20 cities covered by the Case-Shiller index, ranked from worst to best:
Detroit, down 9.7%: Tampa, Fla., down 8.8%; San Diego, down 7.8%; Phoenix, down 7.3%; Washington, down 7.2%; Miami, down 6.4%; Las Vegas, Nev., down 6.1%; Los Angeles, down 4.8%; San Francisco, down 4.1%; New York, down 3.8%; Cleveland, down 3.6%; Minneapolis, down 3.4%; Boston, down 3.4%; Denver, down 0.7%; Chicago, down 0.9%; Dallas, up 0.7%; Atlanta, up 1.2%; Portland, Ore., up 3.8%; Charlotte, N.C., up 6%; and Seattle, up 6.9%

Rex Nutting is Washington bureau chief of MarketWatch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 08:39 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,870,356 times
That's great walidm! It's good to hear that not everyone is suffering. I hope you had a hand in that.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,739,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
That's great walidm! It's good to hear that not everyone is suffering. I hope you had a hand in that.
That above is deceptive % has increased because of all the McMansions built which raised the avg. sales price...common for certain realtors or the NAR to promote this to mask the real problems. Talk to any builder in the Charlotte area and I can guarantee you they are suffering....

Charlotte is a buyer's market for sure right now (inventory is high and # of units sold YOY are way down), however if you put it in perspective, it shouldn't get as bad as the popular "bubble" areas...

Old 10-26-2007, 05:56 AM

Fortunately the number is real, the McMansion syndrome commonly touted (and not yet) quantified holds little if no weight, and appears to be the only answer to solid performing markets - "McMansions drive the price up - how many sold, what was the price and or how does this effects the data. Re: talk to a builder, they're suffering" - aren't they all? Nationwide? since they're National Companies? or are they faring better in the Charlotte & Seattle markets?

Theoretically would this hold the same weight in falling markets, since perhaps they can't sell McMansions and are nosediving the price? Homes over the 417K upper limit of FHA haven't fared well since the explosive increase in interest rates and jumbo lenders will tell you this - there has been a slight easing in the market as of late and hopefully this will continue as FHA continues to push for the ability to back more loans.

While I am extremely sympathetic to the National Market, real estate is local and the Charlotte market continues to fare well. I have relocated clients and understand the National market, and I haven't seen a study that shows a drop-off in persons moving to Charlotte.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post

. I have relocated clients and understand the National market, and I haven't seen a study that shows a drop-off in persons moving to Charlotte.

Cmon, stop it w/the NAR propaganda. You list yourself as a realtor. Don't you even know your own data?

NC Association of Realtors

http://www.ncrealtors.com/uploads/Sept07.pdf

The Charlotte market is -16% YOY in # of units sold. Inventory is way up. Builders are throwing incentives left and right at any qualified buyers. Again, what's happening nationally is happening here except on a smaller scale. Charlotte was just late to the party.

People WANT to move to Charlotte but cannot sell their home in NJ, NY, CA or wherever else they are coming from. Also, obv its much, much more difficult to get financing now. And have I mentioned the ARM's that will be resetting in '08?

I'm not saying things are "doom and gloom". This is extremely HEALTHY for our market so the rediculous growth can cool down.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Cmon, stop it w/the NAR propaganda. You list yourself as a realtor. Don't you even know your own data?

NC Association of Realtors

http://www.ncrealtors.com/uploads/Sept07.pdf

The Charlotte market is -16% YOY in # of units sold. Inventory is way up. Builders are throwing incentives left and right at any qualified buyers. Again, what's happening nationally is happening here except on a smaller scale. Charlotte was just late to the party.

People WANT to move to Charlotte but cannot sell their home in NJ, NY, CA or wherever else they are coming from. Also, obv its much, much more difficult to get financing now. And have I mentioned the ARM's that will be resetting in '08?

I'm not saying things are "doom and gloom". This is extremely HEALTHY for our market so the rediculous growth can cool down.
Sorry, I don't look at many reports released to the public...I look at hard data and numbers from the actual system, which BTW is how I know your mansion theory doesn't hold weight. You don't quantify your data and often confuse National data with local figures. I understand it can be difficult to absorb why the Charlotte market is performing well; however, when one doesn't realize that builders have always offered tons of incentives during this time of the year, inventory usually falls during this time of the year, DOM usually increases during this time of the year, numbers of units sold should be down based on the National markets instability, and basing this years data on last years numbers creates a false floor and ceiling. Historically the 80's provide a much better measuring stick (possibly, even the 70's with the interest rates); however, with the globalization of todays marketplace and an understanding of how securities are packaged and sold you may find little comfort in that litmus test as well. I'd be very interested in your data on current inventory as this data would provide some value and possible credibility to your theories.
I will agree with you on one point - Market correction is a good thing

Old 10-26-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I'm also a Member of the Charlotte Chamber.....address the data in question, is there a decrease in folks moving to Charlotte?

Old 10-26-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I don't look at many reports released to the public...I look at hard data and numbers from the actual system,
Ok, give me examples of the "actual system" as you claim vs. the NC association of Realtors in terms of YOY # of units sold for Charlotte (which I've just provided you).

Old 10-26-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
You don't quantify your data and often confuse National data with local figures.
I provided you Charlotte #'s. Not national numbers.

[quote=walidm;1834834]

Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Ok, give me examples of the "actual system" as you claim vs. the NC association of Realtors in terms of YOY # of units sold for Charlotte (which I've just provided you).
Certainly - as soon as you clarify the price of a McMansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate