Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Nice house in a bad neighborhood or bad house in a nice neighborhood?
Nice house, bad neighborhood 4 3.10%
Bad house, nice neighborhood 125 96.90%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:13 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Let's see... High crime, poor schools, people that don't take care of the homes, bad location (either remote, or near a freeway or downwind from a factory) uneducated residents- generally the kinds of places people don't want to live but it's all they could afford and they'd leave in a heartbeat if it was an option.

Another legacy of the housing bubble is millions bought in neighborhoods they didn't like, in a large part because they planned on selling at a profit in a few years and moving somewhere better. People stuck in these areas don't want to stay and they don't care about the community they're wanting to leave. BAD.
here we have a lot of areas with really old homes. its weird because half of them are well-maintained and beautiful, while the other half are dilapidated. its a strange mix of residents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 12:19 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
here we have a lot of areas with really old homes. its weird because half of them are well-maintained and beautiful, while the other half are dilapidated. its a strange mix of residents
Depends on why that's the case. If it's because you have a lot of elderly owners, that's one thing. If it's because 50% of the houses are rentals... well, it then depends on whether ownership is increasing or decreasing. Are more houses being bought and remodeled, or more being let deteriorate over time?

Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Let's see... High crime, poor schools, people that don't take care of the homes, bad location (either remote, or near a freeway or downwind from a factory) uneducated residents- generally the kinds of places people don't want to live but it's all they could afford and they'd leave in a heartbeat if it was an option.

Another legacy of the housing bubble is millions bought in neighborhoods they didn't like, in a large part because they planned on selling at a profit in a few years and moving somewhere better. People stuck in these areas don't want to stay and they don't care about the community they're wanting to leave. BAD.
High crime and poor schools I can say is truly bad. There will always be people who are more vigilant about home maintenance than others. It's unsightly, but I can't quite say that is "bad". To clarify, what is an "uneducated resident"? Someone who doesn't have a degree? A neighborhood is bad if it doesn't have a preponderance of degreed individuals? I'm actually curious.

My definition of bad is high crime and poor schools. People will not put up with feeling unsafe and no parent wants to send their child(ren) to poor performing schools. Everything else is totally subjective..there are people who do not mind having their home located next to a highway.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
High crime and poor schools I can say is truly bad. There will always be people who are more vigilant about home maintenance than others. It's unsightly, but I can't quite say that is "bad". To clarify, what is an "uneducated resident"? Someone who doesn't have a degree? A neighborhood is bad if it doesn't have a preponderance of degreed individuals? I'm actually curious.

My definition of bad is high crime and poor schools. People will not put up with feeling unsafe and no parent wants to send their child(ren) to poor performing schools. Everything else is totally subjective..there are people who do not mind having their home located next to a highway.
Let's use DC as an example. 36% are functionally illiterate, with a MUCH higher % in the eastern district. Degrees don't even register in those neighborhoods. There does however seem to be a large # of people with degrees choosing better neighborhoods when you break it down. Whether it's the degrees making it that way or just self selection is kind of irrelevant.

Most people don't want to live next to a highway or busy road. Ever notice the homes in those areas tend to be more rentals or run down? They're generally undesirable and people factor this in to their purchase decisions. Now you may know of a few people that prefer to breathe in dust and exhaust, and listen to a river of cars go by all night, but it's not normal.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Neighborhoods do change.
Gentrification is not a myth.
Urban pioneers tend to buy better houses in crappy neighborhoods.
Having bought my second house for cash with the profit I made selling my first house — which was a bad house that I rehabilitated in a gentrifying neighborhood — I am proof that this sometimes works. But I would advise looking for a neighborhood that has been designated as an improvement or "renaissance" zone by the local government and public money is available to assist in the gentrification. Funds that are available to small business owners to improve the local establishments, as well as money for home buyers.

I was able to get a low-interest loan sponsored by my city with only 5% down on the house. I had a very thorough inspection of the house before I signed, to make sure I was aware of all the repairs that would be required. And I had cash (what would have been the rest of my down-payment had I gotten a conventional mortgage) that I could use to start the rehab.

In the current economy, I suspect that these situations are few and far between as local governments are against the ropes. But if you can find one, and are willing to do some hard work, it can be financially advantageous.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
I think the poll at this point has answered the question!

Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I think the poll at this point has answered the question!
Maybe it should have been "A nice house in a neighborhood you never gave much thought to" which seems to be the case for a lot of people who fall in love with a place and regret it.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:37 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
"Bad" is subjective. What is a "bad" neighborhood? For some people, "bad" is a neighborhood that doesn't look like Wisteria Lane, or has people making less than 100K, or lots of blue collar families, etc. I see the word "bad" bandied around frequently concerning neighborhoods and when you evaluate them by such things as crime statistics and location, they are in fact not bad at all.
I was just going to ask the same question.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,922 times
Leave your mom's opinion out of it. Do what you want to do and live where you want to live. If I had listened to my mother I wouldn't be successful today. Show her the house AFTER you have made the purchase. Unless she's paying for it, she doesn't get a say.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:53 PM

115 posts, read 368,924 times
this is the most conclusive poll ive ever seen on an online forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate