Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:52 PM

397 posts, read 613,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.de View Post
I don't think there are any legal issues since it's my house but does it seem creepy to use the baby video cameras we have to watch/listen as people go through our house? This would help us figure out what people don't like in order to fix it, almost like they do on those tv shows.
It is probably illegal. Even in one party consent states, if you are recording people without being present it is illegal, especially if you stand to gain a financial advantage in a business transaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
The reason people might consider this option is because many Realtors fail to realize that their job includes passing along negative/positive showing comments to the seller. Meanwhile, the seller sits for months on a home, not realizing that the wallpaper in the living room and the worn carpet in the master bedroom are major turn-offs for potential buyers

(Just examples, but, I've sold homes where my own Realtor has shown the property numerous times and never come-up with any meaningful feedback. ... Either they are not asking the right questions or are so busy pointing-out the obvious (... and here we have the kitchen cabinets) .. or trying to sell the 'stunning backyard view', instead of actually LISTENING to what lookers are saying.)

Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
If you ask your Realtor what you should change to make the house sell faster, they will undoubtedly have suggestions for you. They will have listened to lots of feedback from different people over the years.

Here are a couple of things that were a turn-off when we were house hunting: It was too cold in one of the houses. The house was a good size, good neighborhood, met most of my requirements. It was only about 40 degrees in the house though and it just felt so uncomfortable and unwelcoming that we only spent five minutes looking.

Another house had an entire wall of crosses hanging up.

And another house had a little wooden frame with a noose hanging from it in the back yard.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I don't think it's creepy.

Bunch of strangers walking around your personal property.

What else in the world do you sell without being present?
Nothing!!!

Old 04-04-2013, 06:29 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE Skeptic View Post
It is probably illegal. Even in one party consent states, if you are recording people without being present it is illegal, especially if you stand to gain a financial advantage in a business transaction.
Nothing I record on my property is illegal.
I don't see how you can make that argument, especially if you have signs posted that you have video surveillance (many alarm companies post this).

Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 PM

238 posts, read 590,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't think it's creepy.

Bunch of strangers walking around your personal property.

What else in the world do you sell without being present?
Nothing!!!

Apples to oranges !

In the case of a house, you have HIRED a realtor to sell it for you.

If not , THEN it would be apples to apples .

Old 04-04-2013, 06:44 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,735,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.de View Post
I don't think there are any legal issues since it's my house but does it seem creepy to use the baby video cameras we have to watch/listen as people go through our house? This would help us figure out what people don't like in order to fix it, almost like they do on those tv shows.
I had my house on the market 7 years ago. I have a 24/7 video surveillance system installed. There is a quite large sign saying so posted all the time. It only bothers those who have bad intentions, good folks are hardly upset about it.

That said; your intentions are all the wrong reasons for using such surveillance in my opinion.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Quote:
I don't see how you can make that argument, especially if you have signs posted that you have video surveillance (many alarm companies post this).
Expectation of privacy. You are agreeing to vacate the home for a private showing of your property. Also, depending on state, you may not be able to record a conversation that others are having if you aren't party to the conversation.

There is an exception for minor children of course.

In Oregon, you can videotape, but not record conversations unless you are a part of the conversation.

Check your state laws.

Creepy.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 PM

397 posts, read 613,972 times
Quote:
Use your imagination, I am sure you can think of a few things that would be illegal to “record” on your property.

Quote:
I was responding to the OP who made no mention of a posted sign indicating that there was video. He was referring to his baby cam. Even if this was posted it would not cover the “listening” (audio) portion of the recording.

In many states, if you record a conversation without consent, it is illegal. It is not my argument, just the law. OTH, if your state allows it, then it is your right to record.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
As a general rule, it will be illegal under federal and most state laws. Even in those states with One-Party consent, you have to be a Party to the conversation. The way around this is to have the real estate agent showing the place agree to the recording as one of the parties and accompany the potential buyers where they are where recording occur.

In California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington, you MUST have the consent of all parties to the conversation.

Now, this pertains to clandestine recordings and can be preempted with consent via personal or implied consent. Personal consent is signing a form saying it’s alright whereas implied consent is entering the area where recordings are occurring after passing a conspicuous posted sign advising the person they are being recorded and by entering it constitutes consent.

It's a big and potentially costly mistake, to assume that just because it’s your house you can record. There have been cases where "hired help" have sued and won due to being recording without any consent. Most new nanny work agreements have the recording clause in. In addition, as parent/guardians of a minor, you can give consent on behalf of that minor satisfying one-party consent legalities.

Most will probably get away with it and never be caught, or nobody will really care. Those who do get caught probably wished they did it right to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate