Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times

Advertisements

And starting to feel the frustration, but still trying to stay positive. We listed our house two weeks ago and honestly I think it more the trying to keep everything perfect that is driving us nuts. We have two small kids and I feel like we are chasing them around all the time so the house doesn't get too trashed before another showing. I suppose its an adjustment we'll have to get used to until we sell. We have had about ten showings now and one mystery showing that just showed up (agent forgot to call us). Feedback has been pretty positive so we are hoping for an offer.

Our negative feedback has been - priced a bit high, not enough baths and the house is too small. Is it common that people come and look at houses when they already know that there aren't as many baths as they would like? Thats been one of the frustrating parts - the listing clearly says 1.5 baths and 2,000 square feet so I guess I am not sure why people are coming to look at it if they already know its missing another full bath? I understand the square footage as 2000 feet in one house isn't neccessarily the same in another house depending on layout, etc, but I guess the bath thing is throwing me off.

Well, hoping for an offer this week. We had a second showing yesterday so we know at least one couple like it! Good luck to anyone else out there who is listed and trying to sell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 08:39 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Amazing but true fact

Question: How can people who are obviously illiterate have enough money to buy a house?
Answer: I have no idea.

We had our 3-bedroom, 2500 sqft house on the market. A family with 2 parents and 4 kids came to look at it. Seriously?? What a waste of everyone's time.

With the 1.5 baths, they:
1. did not read the description.
2. are hoping that the 1/2 bath sits right next to the giant empty space that you were too incompetent to expand into and they can easily have 2 baths.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:53 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
Thats funny - the family that commented that our house was too small had 2 adults and 5 kids...7 people in 2,000 square feet and 1.5 baths....yeah, that one was a waste of everyones time.

In our house someone could actually turn the half bath into a full bath if they are willing to sacrifice a pantry area and put in a tub or they could do a shower and keep about half the pantry space. You could also technically add a smaller full bath to our largest bedroom (its 12x24) and turn it into the "master". We looked into this and it would back into our current full bath so running plumbing lines would be minimal and you would sacrifice the end of the bedroom for the bath, but the spacing could work. I'm sure no one wants to do the work, but I wish they would consider everyones time when they schedule a showing. Good luck Dave...

Old 04-29-2013, 08:56 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
You could also technically add a smaller full bath to our largest bedroom...
get a real professional estimate with drawings.
lower the asking price by that amount.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:05 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
Inventory is low. Buyers have a wish list and a price point that may not be possible. So the agent stretches and hopes the buyer will love so many other aspects about your house that they can overcome the 1/2 bath issue.

I don't know your market. Here if the house is near the average price range and it doesn't have offers in 2 weeks it is probably overpriced. Different story for very high priced houses.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,423 times
If there is room for another full bath in the house, especially if it can be built above or adjacent to the existing plumbing stack, then you want to show a floor plan in your listing. I will look at listings with less than two baths, but if there is no floor plan or if there is not suitable room for expansion then I will move on without visiting the home.

Of course, if your home is priced at the same level as others with two baths or more, then you are overpriced. And in our area, I don't want to see a listing that already has sky-high taxes and know that they will be raised even further when an additional bath is installed. Hope this feedback is helpful.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:14 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Mr Rational makes an excellent point

Get a professional estimate for the "master bath".

Ask your agent how much MORE the house would sell for if it was a 2.5-bath house.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
You are getting the lookey lookers....people who look at every house as a form of recreation. Yes, they might buy something some day, but not likely in your lifetime.

It will calm down and develop into a steady flow of 'sort-of' buyers after a month or so. You'll get the in-laws wanting to live neaer the grandkids, the 'i might upgrade crowd', the 'i rent but wish i owned '(who have no down payment), and the 'we really like your house so much that we are going to list ours' bunch.

Eventaully a buyer will come along who is serious, qualified, and ready to pull the trigger. The first one or two will fall apart for some reason, but then when you think you can't stand it any longer, a deal will come together.

Just hang in there. It can be a mean process. Do what you can to live in your house and keep it ready for showings. Tell the realtors you need four hours, or some reaosnable lead time, and you will get into a routine where the house can be prepped in a couple of hours, the kids piled into the buggy, and the place ready to show.

DONT Get involved in all the dreamers wanting to move a wall, add a bathroom, put a second story on, etc. Once they buy it they can do whatever they wish. Until then, it is what it is.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:52 AM

115 posts, read 368,873 times
I wouldn't dismiss anyone if I were op. you can't tell who's a tire kicker and make assumptions because of their family size. Sometimes you need to see in person and you can accept a compromise of a smaller bathroom. There's people coming to potentially purchase your house. Don't take that for granted and take their criticism in stride. They might not like something else about it and feel the need to give an excuse for not being interested instead of being direct.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,190 times
I think others are right that some buyers were trying to see if there is any chance that a bath could be expanded or one added. If you can put floor plans online, that may help you find better "matching" buyers.

Years ago we owned a house that did not have a basement because of sewer/water problems in the neighborhood, but it had a huge, tall attic that was easy to access (and could have been finished into a third floor living space). Can't tell you how many "lookers" offered feedback to our agent that the house's lacking a basement was a fatal flaw for them. At one time our agent said he wanted to tell them, "Well, I'm not going to go out there and dig you a basement!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate