Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 AM

10 posts, read 22,585 times

Advertisements

Hello and thank you for reading. Any help is greatly appreciated. I did a fast sale with a construction firm to buy my home as is in a really up and coming neighborhood. Everything on the contract says as-is except a clause that says termite damage is the responsibility of the seller. I close at the end of June and am getting another termite inspection done this week. (The last one two years ago was fine).

My question is this, it appears as if the buyer doesn't care to do any inspections on his own before closing and is happy to get it as-is. My worry is that will they be able to come in AFTER closing and try to hit me for termite damages they may find (real or imagined)?? Does not the burden fall on them to inspect before closing so that we can negotiate? Once we've closed am I free and clear or do I have to sweat it out for a few months???

Also, if my inspection comes back clean again, would that protect me regardless?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castricv View Post
My worry is that will they be able to come in AFTER closing...
How exactly does the contract describe the termite contingency?
It should be based on the right to have a pre-purchase inspection.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
A termite/ pest inspection is usually good for 30 days. Try to time yours so that it falls in that time period before closing ,- i.e. 30 days before closing date.

Submit a copy of the report to the buyer and keep a copy for yourself. You should be fine .He can't sue you if he finds termites after closing. At that point, it's his house.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the response Mr. Rational and Willow Wind ---

Here is what the contract says (remember the whole doc is all of three pages and notorized)

11) Termite Inspection - Buyer will furnish a current inspection report issued by a licensed and bonded pest control company. Repairs and treatment, if any, shall be at the expense of seller.

This is immediately followed by 12....

12) Seller hereby gives, and Buyer hereby accepts, a disclaimer regarding said property, that Buyer is purchasing said property "as is", that is, with no warranties or representations whatsoever. Seller and Buyer both acknowledge the giving and acceptance of said disclaimer.

Again it's being sold in a booming area of Nashville that the construction company almost certainly wants for the lot. However, I need to cover my basis. They have never seen the inside nor have requested to inspect the inside at any point. In the contract they are paying cash and have waived appraisal and inspection otherwise. Thanks a lot guys!!!

Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 AM

I guess the main thing left that I'm wondering is given their lack of wanting to even see the home or do any inspections, if I get a report and then simply not turn it in or not get one in the first place, once the home is closed can they come after me. It seems like an open and shut as-is purchase and then tear down. The only reason I'm concerned is that they might rent for a bit or attempt a complete remodel (lot of work) and then try to scrooge a lot of money out of me. This site is great.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:41 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
1. You can never completely protect yourself from baseless lawsuits.

2. Your main liability when selling a house comes from hidden defects that you know about AND that you do not communicate to the seller.

3. I think you worry too much. Relax.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
FWIW, if a developer is buying it, and the site is great, I wonder if they will tear it down and build on your site. If so, they don't care about condition.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:45 AM

I suppose I am unduly worried rational1. It's my first home sale and this whole process has been way too easy. Perhaps I just got lucky to sell at the right time. Still knowing as much as I can would be great.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:47 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
What a horrible contract. 2 completely contradictory terms and conditions.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:03 PM

Indeed DMenscha, that why I'm wondering if I'm in the clear easily and worrying too much about nothing or if this is something more shady and I need to cover my azd just in case with as much info as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate