Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 05:36 PM

79 posts, read 355,969 times

Advertisements

Hello Forum,

I hope to get some perspective on possible scenarios to deal with a permitting issue that I most recently ran into with my bonus room. I most recently finished the construction of my bonus room. I bought my three story town home with a un-finished bonus room on the first floor of the home with the intention on finishing it myself. In 2009 I bought a permit, had the town in to inspect the space pre-drywall. Well, from that point it took me 3 years to finish due to unexpected financial and life events. During that time, the permit went stale and the code changed to require R-15 insulation in the walls. Under the old code, and what is in my walls, I have R-13 in the walls.

When I finished the room this past month I had the inspector in from the town. I failed because of the incorrect insulation. To pass inspection, I need to replace the insulation to be R-15 which would require me to take the walls down.

My question to all the real estate experts out there is, what would be the impact on the sale of my home if I just let this latest permit expire and sold the home with the room, as is, finished without a permit? Is it a large negative to have a finished un-permitted space at the time of sale?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 05:54 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Huge negative for a lot of people. I think a lot of buyers would demand you get it corrected as part of the agreement. Isn't the inspector going to follow up now that the town knows about the issue?

Old 06-20-2013, 06:27 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,227 times
It would likely appear when the appraisal is done, to wit you would likely need to get it up to code before the bank would lend on it.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,618,128 times
Can you cut holes and spray in the insulation?

Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Huge negative for a lot of people. I think a lot of buyers would demand you get it corrected as part of the agreement. Isn't the inspector going to follow up now that the town knows about the issue?
I am working with the town to see what I need to get done to finish the space, and am also brining in an insulation company to go over costs of what it would take to fix the issue. My plan is to bite the financial bullet and chalk it up to a major lesson learned on building codes.

Anyone else have suggestions or comments?

Old 06-20-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Can you cut holes and spray in the insulation?
I asked the town if that was an option, and they said no. Their reasoning was that by taking that approach they would not be able to confirm that all the spaces have been filled and that there was a consistant R-Value rating throughout the wall.

I am really researching ever avenue and path for solution, but all of them lead me to getting the room up to code.

The only silver lining in this all is that I have no intent in selling the house for at least 2 years, and that is even a stretch. I have also considered renting out the property, that that is a discussion for another forum

Old 06-20-2013, 10:59 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,618,128 times
How about insulation panels on top of the current wall or is the wall piece in between a factor for the town?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:11 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Had you sold with a incomplete/open permit the space probably wouldn't have counted as anything but an unfinsihed space. Now, you have a building code violation needing to be corrected. It went from something the buyer may have an issue with, to something the buyers will have an issue with.

Example 1: Basement has an open permit for the finished space.

Example 2: Basement is not up to code and failed building department inspection.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:15 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
All you had to do was renew the permit before it expired, and your job would probably been grandfathered in under the previous code. In my town, as long as there is consistent work going on, the permit remains in force.

You need to stop looking for a workaround and do this right to save yourself a LOT of hassle and possibly fines in the future.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:45 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,036,844 times
How about another layer of sheetrock? Sheetrock must have R-2 worth of insulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate