Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 06:56 AM

571 posts, read 1,201,641 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of selling our home. The title insurance company has asked us to get a new deed notarized. Here's the background:

State: AZ
Home was purchased two years ago. It was a foreclosure purchased from a bank.
Home was purchased by my parents, in their name.
We purchased home from my parents two months later, had a deed notarized, filed with county clerk.
Now that we are selling, title ins. co. wants a new deed notarized.
When my parents purchased the home from the bank, it came with title insurance (I have all the paperwork).

My question is this: is another deed necessary? Will it be a problem for me down the road that there are two deeds on this home? They both say the same thing (my parents selling the home to me - so the deed is signed by them and by me). No one has been able to explain to me why there need to be two deeds. Additionally, will the new deed, which would carry a current date, make it seem like the title/sale happened now, instead of two years ago? I don't mind going through the motion, but I just don't want any negative repercussions (affecting taxes paid on the home, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,118,086 times
You need to ask the title company why they are requesting a new deed. Perhaps there was some issue with the signatures but that's pure speculation on my part.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:10 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
First of all, a Deed is merely the written instrument used to convey title. With an older house, there are usually multiple Deeds recorded to show changes of ownership--the chain of title.

In some cases, the wording on a Deed may be deficient in some manner. Another Deed--often a Quit Claim Deed--can be used to clear up those deficiencies.

You simply need to ask the title company why they feel that a new Deed is needed.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
We are in the process of selling our home. The title insurance company has asked us to get a new deed notarized.
Are you sure they're not just asking you to execute a new Deed to the purchaser?

Last edited by jackmichigan; 07-18-2013 at 09:24 AM..

Old 07-18-2013, 10:48 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,178,942 times
Definitely need more information. Why is the title company asking for a new deed? Was there a problem with the deed you used to transfer from your parents to you? Was it a Quit Claim Deed? Was it properly executed? Are they asking for a correction?

From my experience with title companies, they can usually execute a Quit Claim Deed and the new Warranty Deed (for the sale of the home to the new owners) back to back at closing to correct the title chain. It should be no big deal, unless you cannot get your parents to sign the corrected deed, again.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 PM

571 posts, read 1,201,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Definitely need more information. Why is the title company asking for a new deed? Was there a problem with the deed you used to transfer from your parents to you? Was it a Quit Claim Deed? Was it properly executed? Are they asking for a correction?

From my experience with title companies, they can usually execute a Quit Claim Deed and the new Warranty Deed (for the sale of the home to the new owners) back to back at closing to correct the title chain. It should be no big deal, unless you cannot get your parents to sign the corrected deed, again.
Yes, this is probably it. Yes, I can get my parents to sign the corrected deed, no problem.

I'm glad to hear that it is not that rare and no big deal.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:07 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
Yes, this is probably it. Yes, I can get my parents to sign the corrected deed, no problem.

I'm glad to hear that it is not that rare and no big deal.
Just curious--do you know what the issue was with the old Deed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate