Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:00 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I live in a house built in 1956. When we moved in, everything was original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why remodel if you don't have to? The only thing I would update on an older home is the electric and wiring if it needed it and I would install central air conditioning. Other than that I doubt I would do anything to update it.
There's a big difference between "original" and "original condition". I doubt too many appliances, flooring, window coverings, carpeting, door knobs, anything mechanical is in decent working condition (let alone not scratched, stained or faded) 60 years after they were installed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 06:41 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
I think the house looks trashy, too. Really, cardboard in the street? What good will that do at this point? It seems unusual to see oil stains anymore since most newer cars don't leak oil. And doesn't the community ever repave the streets, or I guess those are fresh oil stains, huh. The Beemer wagon was a surprise next to the El Camino, but the truck parked on the lawn just screams "too lazy to car-jockey". There's obviously room behind the other cars. Landscaping doesn't look too well-tended either.

Oh, but back to the original question, my 1960 house (bought 3 years ago) had the original pink bathroom in (I thought) very good condition. I wanted to keep it, as well as any other "mid-century modern" touches. However, once we started using the bathroom for daily showers, the soap dish pulled out of the wall and oh well, I just decided to re-do it. As well as the kitchen, which looked like it had had a 70's update. I did keep the panelled basement, just "went with it" and decorated with 70's colors to blend with the wood (or whatever it is).

Last edited by Avalon08; 08-16-2013 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 08-16-2013, 07:25 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
There's a big difference between "original" and "original condition". I doubt too many appliances, flooring, window coverings, carpeting, door knobs, anything mechanical is in decent working condition (let alone not scratched, stained or faded) 60 years after they were installed.
Well, of course the appliances and window coverings didn't come with the house and I wouldn't consider those things the "original house" because they aren't part of the actual structure of the house. The door knobs and switch plates and light coverings were definitely original and in fine condition, but looked old fashioned. The wood floors had been covered with carpeting but we pulled that up and had the floors refinished. And the floors wouldn't be considered remodeling; it is just upkeep, isn't it? I would consider remodeling to be tearing out the floors and putting in new ones.

It still had the original air conditioner and it was HUGE but it worked great. When we called an AC guy out to service it, he almost worshipped it. Said the new ones sure are not made like that one. It was a Mayfair and he just loved that it was still going. A few years later we needed to replace the furnace so we replaced both the furnace and the AC.

When I said that my husband updated, it wasn't because anything was in bad condition, but more just to update the looks of things, and also to finish the basement. But as I said, in retrospect it would have been better if he'd just left it original.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:26 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I think the house looks trashy, too. Really, cardboard in the street? What good will that do at this point? It seems unusual to see oil stains anymore since most newer cars don't leak oil. And doesn't the community ever repave the streets, or I guess those are fresh oil stains, huh. The Beemer wagon was a surprise next to the El Camino, but the truck parked on the lawn just screams "too lazy to car-jockey". There's obviously room behind the other cars. Landscaping doesn't look too well-tended either.

Oh, but back to the original question, my 1960 house (bought 3 years ago) had the original pink bathroom in (I thought) very good condition. I wanted to keep it, as well as any other "mid-century modern" touches. However, once we started using the bathroom for daily showers, the soap dish pulled out of the wall and oh well, I just decided to re-do it. As well as the kitchen, which looked like it had had a 70's update. I did keep the panelled basement, just "went with it" and decorated with 70's colors to blend with the wood (or whatever it is).
About the paneling, we had some paneling that we painted "antique white" and it really looked very nice painted!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
About the paneling, we had some paneling that we painted "antique white" and it really looked very nice painted!
I know, I could have done that but I didn't feel like tackling it myself or paying someone else to do it, and the panelling actually doesn't bother me that much. Might be a detriment when I sell (which I'm doing next month), but oh well.

I did take up the wall-to-wall carpet and found nice hardwood underneath. Apparently hardwood is very common in these 60's homes. It's not a high-quality wood, just narrow planks nailed to the floor, but it looks fine, especially with a couple strategic area rugs.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:

It still had the original air conditioner and it was HUGE but it worked great. When we called an AC guy out to service it, he almost worshipped it. Said the new ones sure are not made like that one. It was a Mayfair and he just loved that it was still going.
Now this really sounds bizarre. New air conditioners are MUCH better than old ones. Even air conditioners in the late 1990s were maybe 10 or so SEER; now they're 16 SEER. I shudder to think of the efficiency of 1960s ACs, maybe 6 SEER???

Old 08-16-2013, 08:43 PM

118 posts, read 487,926 times
YES!!!!! I might want to make things more energy efficient(stove, fridge, AC, etc)... but that's so lovely... especially from that era.

Well, now that I think of it... maybe I wouldn't change a thing. That's when appliances were getting COOL!!!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:05 PM

41,941 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Door knobs? LMAO ...

Old 08-16-2013, 10:13 PM

176 posts, read 520,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
How can people live in a house without making any updates for all those years? Is this common in the houses you see from this era? Would you consider buying a house that looked the same as it did in the 1950s?
Some people are satisfied with their house if things are working well, clean, and can be maintained economically. What's wrong with that? Maybe they spent their money on vacations, their childrens' education, a big retirement account, or gambling. Whatever, it was their choice.

At the same time, it is a buyer's choice to NOT BUY if they are looking for the most modern of appliances, countertops, etc. But they will probably pay more money for that type of house.

I think someone who is satisfied with what they have (if it is well maintained and functional) probably enjoys a certain PEACE OF MIND, more so than those who scramble for the newest model (and the payments that come with it!).

I'd certainly buy a nice house that was built in the 1950. And if I wanted to update something later on, I would.

[Qualifier: I am assuming that the older house is well maintained, and not overly priced for what it is.]

Last edited by Tom2020; 08-16-2013 at 10:24 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2020 View Post
Some people are satisfied with their house if things are working well, clean, and can be maintained economically.
I think someone who is satisfied with what they have (if it is well maintained and functional) probably enjoys a certain PEACE OF MIND, more so than those who scramble for the newest model (and the payments that come with it!).

Yes, and most of those people are over 80 years old.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate