Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 02:56 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,618,080 times

Advertisements

I am planing on purchase a multi family property in upstate New York. The houses I am interested in are all pretty old houses. Built in 1910 - 1938. I realized that houses this old perhaps need a lot of repair in the future.

I plan on purchasing a home owner repair insurance. Maybe in the long run, the insurance will save me a lot of $$$. Just wondering if any of you home owners purchased this kind of insurance? Is it even worth it?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 03:48 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,906,392 times
Unless your home is worth less than your car, you would be cray to not purchase homeowners. Just get a plan with a really high deductible, if you are really confident.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Are you talking about a home warranty?

You HAVE to have homeowners' insurance, but a home warranty is different.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Yeah, a home warranty.

The new property would be my second rental property, my first rental out of state.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:05 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Although homeowners' insurance is highly recommended, you don't HAVE to have it unless you have a mortgage. If you own your house outright, you can self-insure if want to take the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I plan on purchasing a home owner repair insurance. Maybe in the long run, the insurance will save me a lot of $$$. Just wondering if any of you home owners purchased this kind of insurance? Is it even worth it?

Thank you in advance.
I bought a 20-yr-old house in 2010 with all original appliances and HVAC systems. I had never had a home warranty policy before, but the seller paid for a one-year policy for me as part of the purchase agreement. During the course of that year, our combination convection/microwave/double wall oven malfunctioned and only one of the ovens would heat properly. Since parts were no longer available for the oven, the home warranty company cut us a check for a little over $2,700 for us to use to purchase a replacement. That was a lot more than I expected for a 20-yr-old appliance.

Since that worked out so well, we've continued to renew the policy annually. Just this summer, I've had a new garbage disposal installed, a thermostat for the refrigerator, a new motor for the built-in wine cooler, and a logic board for the garage door opener. I also received a new toilet last year, as well as having the HVAC units serviced as necessary. All-in-all, I've been very happy with our policy and our warranty company.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:03 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,267,293 times
Quote:
I am planing on purchase a multi family property in upstate New York. The houses I am interested in are all pretty old houses. Built in 1910 - 1938. I realized that houses this old perhaps need a lot of repair in the future.

Thank you in advance.
Lily, I started buying these things for my rentals and a nice advantage they have is the tenant can call the warranty company directly and arrange the service call themselves. There is a copay that you can have the tenant pay and deduct it from the rent or, what I do, arrange to pay the copay yourself (so you don't have to burden the tenant).

If the warranty company won't cover it because it is from neglect, it will be pretty easy to show it is the tenant's responsibility. After all, they are likely there with the service man when he makes that determination.

So, bottom line, you let the tenant handle the call themselves scheduling a time when they can be there etc. But the tenant is not burdened finding the proper repair man or paying for the repair. They are happy.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:27 PM

118 posts, read 488,134 times
A family member of mine bought a home warranty when he first got his house... I think after the first year or two he quit renewing it... well, during a very hot summer here in florida his AC broke.

He was so miserable because of the heat, and he had to save up some money to pay for the repair... and he told me.. 'If you buy a house, buy a home warranty, and after it runs out, buy another one"(I think he meant renew).

Those words have always stuck with me.

Just this summer my dad's AC broke... he spent about 1K to fix it... it broke AGAIN.... I forgot exactly how the story went, but for a couple K more he could have a brand new AC with new ducts..everything. He opted for that... and then guess what? THAT broke too. --I have no idea what had happened... but they are older and I know he doesn't work the AC that much.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Since that worked out so well, we've continued to renew the policy annually. Just this summer, I've had a new garbage disposal installed, a thermostat for the refrigerator, a new motor for the built-in wine cooler, and a logic board for the garage door opener. I also received a new toilet last year, as well as having the HVAC units serviced as necessary. All-in-all, I've been very happy with our policy and our warranty company.
Hi, thank you so much for responding. I hope this is not an intrusive question, if you are okay with my question, could you let me know which warranty company you guys are using? Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Lily, I started buying these things for my rentals and a nice advantage they have is the tenant can call the warranty company directly and arrange the service call themselves. There is a copay that you can have the tenant pay and deduct it from the rent or, what I do, arrange to pay the copay yourself (so you don't have to burden the tenant).

If the warranty company won't cover it because it is from neglect, it will be pretty easy to show it is the tenant's responsibility. After all, they are likely there with the service man when he makes that determination.

So, bottom line, you let the tenant handle the call themselves scheduling a time when they can be there etc. But the tenant is not burdened finding the proper repair man or paying for the repair. They are happy
Thank you so much for responding. I am 100% convinced that I need a home owner warranty insurance. In the long run, I perhaps can save a lot of money. Plus, I want to be a responsible home owner. I want to give my tenant the reassurance that I take care of them, so they can renew their lease with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness8t5 View Post
A family member of mine bought a home warranty when he first got his house... I think after the first year or two he quit renewing it... well, during a very hot summer here in florida his AC broke.

He was so miserable because of the heat, and he had to save up some money to pay for the repair... and he told me.. 'If you buy a house, buy a home warranty, and after it runs out, buy another one"(I think he meant renew).

Those words have always stuck with me.

Just this summer my dad's AC broke... he spent about 1K to fix it... it broke AGAIN.... I forgot exactly how the story went, but for a couple K more he could have a brand new AC with new ducts..everything. He opted for that... and then guess what? THAT broke too. --I have no idea what had happened... but they are older and I know he doesn't work the AC that much.
Those words stuck with me too!

Thank you all for your responses. Exactly the answer I was looking for.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:35 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Hi, thank you so much for responding. I hope this is not an intrusive question, if you are okay with my question, could you let me know which warranty company you guys are using? Thank you
Not intrusive at all. The company is Old Republic.

Old Republic Home Protection - Home Warranty Service

Old 08-17-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Not intrusive at all. The company is Old Republic.

Old Republic Home Protection - Home Warranty Service
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate