Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:09 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,199,051 times

Advertisements

Stick to your guns. Do not close with the tenant still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 01:40 PM

494 posts, read 817,626 times
I agree with the others that you do not want to close until the upstairs tenant is gone and that you see what condition it is in.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:47 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,219,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
If seller was an ethical person he would have told tenant far in advance that he was going to put the house on the market, and that buyer might need it to be vacant.

Then when he accepted the offer he would have told the tenant that the move is for sure.

Beware of doing deals with unethical people. Get very, very sound legal advice if you need to deal with them.

That was complete BS and an attempt to intimidate the buyer. Seller is a real a$$haberdasher.

Buyer needs to do a walk through before closing, to verify that tenant is out, place is clean and in good repair, etc. There should be a clause in the contract that allows for new inspections at that time if buyer feels the desire for them.

Personally, given the BS so far, I would also ask to speak with the now-ex tenant myself before closing, to verify that they are not holding this all against me, planning to burn the place down, etc. I mean, I would not ask that directly but would assess their attitude and listen carefully to how they talk.

Also make sure the closing docs include a copy of ex-tenant's rental agreement showing deposits paid, and proof they were refunded. You don't want ex-tenant expecting you to refund some huge deposit.
Absolutely follow the advice above!!!

Old 08-23-2013, 02:31 PM

912 posts, read 1,527,906 times
Does the second floor tenant have a lease with the seller? I assume you would've discovered this by now, and my guess is after 20+ years, probably not, but I'm not able to see where you specifically said there is no lease in effect. That would change things, if so.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:02 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,010,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
$50,000? You are insane, that would be a one in a million eviction. I think you have watched Pacific heights one too many times.
Locally: $1000-2000 for court fees, $5000-10000 for mortgage payments (3-6 months), $38000 for willful damage is not unusual.

No, we do not live in Pacific Heights .

Old 08-23-2013, 07:06 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,010,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon01 View Post
Another thing to mention is a fact, that Seller's attorney is an old date man, and with all respect to him, I cannot believe how people confusing places, dates, tenants, clients etc. can work at places where high attention to detail is so crucial. He calls my attorney and confirms that the unit at 1st floor is already vacant - What?? This is not true and it was never requested. In fact, we spoke with the tenant and confirmed that they stay there. He also suggests that we can move in there temporary before we set everything up the 2nd floor unit. Next time he claims that there is no issue and the tenant in 2nd floor unit is out - which we know it is not true. How to deal with such incompetency? Where does it end?

Ohhhhh.... yes this is problem. Doe he have a secretary? Your attorney may have better luck having the two secretaries talk to each other. That's who probably runs his business IRL, sounds like.

Quote:
Seeing how communication between -ex tenant and Buyer is harsh, because the tenant is not happy about moving out, I do not expect any dialog between the two. However, I don't think the tenant would get any further. Worst he can do is not to move out at all even after the Sept. 30th, and then all this deal can turn into real court nightmare.

I just don't see us going for the closing knowing there will be no closing.
Well you sure as heck can't close until this is ALL squared away.

Have you talked to the tenant yourself, face to face? If your lawyer ok's it, I would advise it. Or bring lawyer with you. Either way, bring beer and/or cookies.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 PM

502 posts, read 897,866 times
Absolutely do not close until the tenant is out. Whatever you might lose so far is nothing compared to the headache you could have ahead of you!

Keep us posted.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,513,144 times
Quit displacing tenants and everyone is happy.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,513,144 times
Quote:
Ohhhhh.... yes this is problem. Doe he have a secretary? Your attorney may have better luck having the two secretaries talk to each other. That's who probably runs his business IRL, sounds like.

Well you sure as heck can't close until this is ALL squared away.

Have you talked to the tenant yourself, face to face? If your lawyer ok's it, I would advise it. Or bring lawyer with you. Either way, bring beer and/or cookies.

Beer, cookies, and money tend to have good results. (Some suggest giving a tenant a financial incentive to vacate is sometimes a good idea.) Talking certainly has potential to clear up things and open up possible solutions. In this sort of situation, tenants may have financial constraints which hinder moving, e.g. might not be sufficiently liquid to afford move-in costs, or if their current rent is below market, might not be able to afford prevailing rent levels. If pressed, tenants in this position will tell you, but most won't volunteer such info.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:40 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,674,840 times
Quote:
Locally: $1000-2000 for court fees, $5000-10000 for mortgage payments (3-6 months), $38000 for willful damage is not unusual.

No, we do not live in Pacific Heights .
Where do you live that it is $1000-$2000 in court costs?
I am assuming you are talking a high end property if you assume $5000-$10,000 in mortgage payments which would mean a higher security deposit is being held and the tenant will generally have some money to go after or at least a good job to pay off a judgment.
$38,000 in damage is not unusual? I shouldn't have bothered replying at all when I saw this, you are obviously talking about the one in a million foreclosure I mentioned earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate