Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 07:54 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Example:

You engage me to list your home for sale.
We agree to list at $400,000.
You tell me that you would accept $380,000.

3 months later, you ask me to cancel the listing, and I do.
I cannot capriciously blab to others that you would have accepted less than list price.
That is my duty to you, and it survives termination.

However, in another 3 months, you list your home at $400,000 with Agent X at another firm.
And now I have another client, a buyer who is interested in your house.
At that time, I must tell my buyer client that you had indicated you would accept $380,000.
That's a very good argument for engaging the services of a buyer's agent rather than trying to save a few bucks by contacting the listing agent directly and getting her to concede some commission since she's getting both sides. The more involved your buyer's agent is in the market you're buying, the more likely he is to know something like this and be able to use it to get you a better deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 08:00 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Absolutely! Because the millions of people who buy condos and houses every year should always consult an attorney before submitting to the seller their pre-printed, boilerplate, purchase offer with the the blank spaces for the price and a couple of other variables filled in. Legal advice is absolutely, positively needed in all of these routine transactions. And of course, the sellers of the property should absolutely, positively, have an attorney review the buyers' pre-printed, boilerplate, purchase offer with the the blank spaces for the price and a couple of other variables filled in before they countersign the contract. Not to mention that during the negotiating process, each time a price or other change is proposed, both parties should consult with their respective attorneys before initialing said contract.

Let's not reserve the use of attorneys for complex and/or difficult real estate transactions. Instead, we should just advise everyone who is contemplating buying or selling a residence to always hire an attorney to review every aspect of every routine transaction.

Sounds like an excellent recommendation!
This was awesome.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:58 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
That's a very good argument for engaging the services of a buyer's agent rather than trying to save a few bucks by contacting the listing agent directly and getting her to concede some commission since she's getting both sides. The more involved your buyer's agent is in the market you're buying, the more likely he is to know something like this and be able to use it to get you a better deal.
That is a pretty weak selling point for using a buyers agent. Maybe by a big coincidence, the agent may have listed a house you want to buy and have some relevant inside information.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Bound View Post
Our agent heard from the listing agent that the seller is going to sign the release and we will be getting all our money back.
As expected. You risked the cost of the home inspection. The seller risked the cost of septic and well inspection.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:49 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,935,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
As expected. You risked the cost of the home inspection. The seller risked the cost of septic and well inspection.
And the seller's risk wasn't really much of a risk; he's going to have to test the well & septic for any buyer. This test is likely acceptable for at least the next 60 days.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:15 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
That is a pretty weak selling point for using a buyers agent. Maybe by a big coincidence, the agent may have listed a house you want to buy and have some relevant inside information.
It isn't just that he may have listed it previously. He may have negotiated unsuccessfully for another buyer. He may have heard something from a neighbor, another agent, co-worker, etc. One thing you can be sure of; the listing agent is prohibited from assisting you getting a better deal. Your buyer's agent is mandated to advocate for you. If there is only a 1 in 100 chance that he has knowledge that will help, it beats zero chances all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate