Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 10,121 times

Advertisements

I own a condo in East Orange, NJ for a year now, pets were allowed and there were no fees. Yesterday, I received a notice in the mail that the Board is instituting an annual pet policy fee effective this month. My question is can they do this? This wasnt effective when I bought the property, and I own not rent. Can they enforce this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 10:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Depends on the by-laws. This document will spell out the protocol for changes in rules.

Owners who do not attend association meetings and/ or read the minutes of same, tend to get surprised when changes occur.

It is not uncommon for associations to " grandfather" owners who bought before a new rule. This most likely happens when there is a sufficient number of owners who take an active interest in the association and oppose the rule.

It might be interesting to find out why this charge was imposed. Is the association attempting to discourage pets or perhaps it reflects the cost of cleaning up after pets.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,181,397 times
ditto

Old 08-13-2009, 10:25 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times
The HOA did not arbitrarily decide to add this new rule regarding pets. Aparently, a number of the more active homeowners lobbied the board and got it on the calender for a vote. All homeowners should have been notified in writing that this was on the agenda to allow the opposition to mount a defense to this new rule.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 10,121 times
Thanks, it's not in the by laws and they said they are doing this due to the cost of cleaning up after pets. I'm trying to find out if this is enforceable.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonshon View Post
Thanks, it's not in the by laws and they said they are doing this due to the cost of cleaning up after pets. I'm trying to find out if this is enforceable.
The association implemented a surcharge to cover the cost of removing pet waste and possibly periodic replacemnt of the lawn and/or shrubs damaged by urine.

Your by-laws will likely tell you if the board has the authority to do this or if a majority of owners are, by vote, required to make such a change.

When living within an association, "them" is you. Board members are elected by homeowners to represent the best interests of all homeowners and property values.

If the grounds are mess and/or the landscape is deteriorating because of pet output, it is in the best interests of all homeowners for the board to address it.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,869 times
My HOA board has a nepotistic relationship with the local plumbing company. This company has an unsaid contract with the condo association. I have a plumbing leak. What are my rights to secure repair services outside of this company to get fair unbiased assessment and repairs. And if I choose a different company will my HOA still be responsible for payment?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:46 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,916,530 times
Necropost! And not even in a place that makes sense.

"unsaid contract"??

Old 01-27-2014, 08:06 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,901,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka76 View Post
My HOA board has a nepotistic relationship with the local plumbing company. This company has an unsaid contract with the condo association. I have a plumbing leak. What are my rights to secure repair services outside of this company to get fair unbiased assessment and repairs. And if I choose a different company will my HOA still be responsible for payment?
What has this got to do with "Pet Fees"??

If you have a leak in YOUR plumbing, you can have what ever licensed plumber fix the problem (at your cost of course). Why would you think the HOA would pick up the tab even if you used their recommended plumber?
If the leak is in the general service lines or drains, even though in might be inside one of your walls, generally that is the HOA's responsibility to fix AND their responsibility to pick the contractor. As been mentioned MANY, MANY times, if you do not like the direction/choices your HOA is making (REMEMBER the HOA is YOU!!) attend the meetings, let your voice be heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate