Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 12:22 PM

494 posts, read 849,968 times

Advertisements

Have you ever been to Detroit? There are some nice areas and some very bad areas. This is the typical stereotype. Everyone thinks it's crap all over when it isn't. And 5 miles makes a huge difference in every major city I've been to. New York, DC, LA, New Orleans, Chicago....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 12:37 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,989 times
5 miles may as well be 500 miles in Baltimore as far as property valuation is concerned.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:08 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoKramer View Post
Please enlighten me.
I doubt that's your goal, since you tried to stir up the Detroit forum with the exact same post.

Nonetheless, location is everything. There are some pricey neighborhoods in Detroit (where prices still pale in comparison to some cities) and there are some downright rotten areas, just like in most big American cities. Our urban areas certainly have suffered due to decades of government policies which have fostered urban neglect and promoted urban sprawl. What else would you expect?

Old 03-27-2014, 04:32 PM

180 posts, read 261,778 times
Broken into every month? Really? I highly doubt that. I've never been to Detroit (other than for layovers) and I cringe at such hyperbole. People say similar things about certain neighborhoods here in KC, as if traveling east of some magic line puts one directly in the literal line of fire.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:10 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveTransplant View Post
Broken into every month? Really? I highly doubt that. I've never been to Detroit (other than for layovers) and I cringe at such hyperbole. People say similar things about certain neighborhoods here in KC, as if traveling east of some magic line puts one directly in the literal line of fire.
No, what they say is very possible. Detriot was bad when I visited there a few times in the mid-70's. There are towns in the MI and IN area which were bad when I was a kid in the 60's and unless you know these towns and the areas intimately, you just stay clear. Now, was your layover in the bus or train station? I was at both for extended amounts of time in the 70's. MI is not KS or MO. (20 years in MI, 16 years in KS)

Old 03-28-2014, 07:20 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoKramer View Post
Exhibit A) $250 house 6215 Helen St, Detroit, MI 48211 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Exhibit B) $549,000 condo 200 River Place Dr Apt 8, Detroit, MI 48207 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Can anyone explain to me the ridiculous price difference between the 2 listings? The obvious is that the $250 house needs a lot of work to be done, but it still doesn't account for such a vast price difference. Don't tell me the $549k condo is located in a better neighborhood. These 2 buildings are located about 5 miles apart. For the life of me, I can't fathom how such an expensive condo exists in a city with the highest murder rate in America and the largest municipal bankruptcy in history (not to mention the high property taxes and car insurance rates).

Please enlighten me.
Do you troll much?

Old 03-28-2014, 09:07 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveTransplant View Post
Broken into every month? Really? I highly doubt that.
There are many neighborhoods in Detroit the police wont go to. If you call the police at night to report a burglary, its likely they will show up in the daylight the next day, or just tell you to come down to the police station. Its simply not safe, even for them. The criminals can do whatever they want.

So if you have anything of value, yes, you will be broken into on a regular basis, until those valuables are gone. Many of the people in these neighborhoods are unemployed, so they simply watch you and figure out your schedule.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
There are many neighborhoods in Detroit the police wont go to.
That's ridiculous. For lesser crimes, they oftentimes don't show up regardless of the time of day. They're short-staffed and it has nothing to do with the particular neighborhood.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:24 AM

400 posts, read 575,955 times
We have the same situation going on in Buffalo NY, 5 miles is a huge distance when it comes to neighborhoods. The new condos are very expensive because they are class A housing which has been lacking in the area for years. The houses for $500 are in areas that were abandoned when workers left for employment elsewhere. Our low priced houses sell for about $1,500 at the city auction now. The cheap areas are usually home to the elderly, low income, unemployed and have many social problems. Investors are not going to go buy up the neighborhoods and rebuild so they create high end housing elsewhere.

I know one thing for sure, Detroit must be really bad off because recently we have been getting LOTS of younger families relocating from there. And they are moving into neighborhoods that our locals consider unsafe yet they are happy.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:38 AM

155 posts, read 556,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Even just 5 miles can make a huge difference in a lot of cities. I live in St. Louis which suffers from problems similar to Detroit, and you can be in an amazing area one minute, and then head a couple of miles in the wrong direction and you're looking at a completely different world.

As others have said though, the problem with a lot of the super cheap properties is that they may have years of back taxes owing on them, which becomes the responsibility of the new owner. Also, without seeing inside, the house may well be a full gut job, or it may have structural issues and be a tear down.
yes its correct. same here in Jersey City NJ.
Its a huge difference between New Port area in Jersey city and Journal Square area in Jersey City which is less than 5 miles between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate