Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,485 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am on the lookout for a good realtor in the San Francisco Bay Area, and willing to offer a buyer rebate. Although RedFin offers these rebates, I've found their agents to be overloaded and not willing to give me the time I need. On top of that, most realtors seem to get offended and take it as a personal affront when I ask about it. Any recommendations on how to good realtors willing to offer rebates, or tips on how to approach this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:24 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,508 times
You find them the same way you would any other agent. Look them up, interview them and ASK if they will offer the terms you wish. Keep looking until you find the one you want.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:33 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Think about what you are saying for a minute. In order to rebate money, you have to be willing to give up some of your money which goes towards business expenses, salary, and clients expenses like marketing. In order to cut your salary you need to make that up in volume. So...if you want an agent to give you the time you need, you need to pay for that time so they can give it to you exclusively. Otherwise it has to be like Redfin agents where they do a lot of volume to make up the difference.

So if you want someone who is good, chances are they value their time. Why would a good agent rebate for you, when they can find clients that will pay for their services without a rebate? I know real estate is expensive in SF which means there are a lot of commission dollars in play, but so is the cost of living. Unless you want to spend inordinate amounts of time interviewing and asking agent to rebate, I'd decide what is more valuable to you: rebate or agent's time. It will be time consuming to try and find both.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:43 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Find a home, negotiate the contract and put me down as your agent.

I'll give you half.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:33 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default You are confused

San Francisco is a sellers' market.
So, why would a buyer's agent (who gets to do all the work) give you a kickback?

As a seller, in San Francisco, you could probably negotiate a lower commission. After all, if the house sells in 1 day and for over list price, then giving up a percent is probably OK.

As a buyer, in Cleveland, you could probably get a kickback as you can find many suitable houses on your own and then ask the agent to arrange for viewings. You are doing most of the work.

Negotiating from weakness is not a viable tactic.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:39 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,660,143 times
Realtors that offer rebates will not give you any type of good service. Why would they? You are taking their income. If you were asked to give up part of your income, for doing the same job. What would you say?

There is one realtor I deal with that gives up half his commission, BUT the buyer is on their own in all aspects of the deal.
You get what you pay for.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:55 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
So, ... it sounds like you are a potential Buyer who is attempting to find a Seller's Realtor (whom the seller is paying), to give you a kickback for buying a house ... in a Seller's market (??) -- (Are you hoping to raise your down payment via this scheme ... or something else?)

Even if you could find such a Realtor willing to compromise their client and ethics, what would make you think you could trust them? ... or them, you?

Wouldn't you accomplish the same thing by simply seeking a price reduction on the home purchase?

Old 04-05-2014, 02:20 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,169 times
So you want someone really good that's willing to work for a discount. Why would the good ones say yes? You will find someone desperate for your business. Then you would have to ask why that person is so desperate.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:41 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
So you want someone really good that's willing to work for a discount. Why would the good ones say yes? You will find someone desperate for your business. Then you would have to ask why that person is so desperate.
I agree. The best is not cheap.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:53 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,500 times

I always want to know what people like this DO for a living! Would they go to work for another company for less if they had the chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.