Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:09 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
There was a wave of school consolidations in the midwest in the 1950's-60's... there were a host of school buildings left behind in the smaller townships, and even in the bigger towns, that were replaced by modern buildings that could handle larger number of kids.

With schools at least, each project like this is a one-of-a-kind endeavor depending on community dynamics... or that's my perception... I doubt if anyone could really successfully create a system for redeveloping these or shop these without getting to know the individual history, the economics and needs, and demographics of each community... since people in the communities see them as historic, you will have to win over the residents and the planning commissions to be able to get a project done. If you prefer to be more involved in design rather than implementation, that would be something a consultant would have to do for you is take care of the local consensus-building, and I'm sure there are consultancy firms that specialize in just that. That's something I've contemplated doing as a service offering.

Magellan, I'd love to find out more about the project pics you posted... I'm only a couple hours south of you and that would make a fascinating road trip. That high school is amazing... I'm imagining living there would be quite a feeling... is that a gym building on the right/back of the property?
Yes, it was the original gymnasium that was split up into 2 and 3 story lofts. I believe they also took the old auditorium and split up into separate units. It's really fascinating to go through it, as most of the condos have at least some part of the old school left in them, like old chalkboards, lockers, desks, chairs, old wooden floors, signs, fire extinguishers and places where people carved their names into the wood going all the way back to the early 1900's.

You can see a photo gallery here (click on "Building" toward the bottom):

http://www.unionsquaregr.com/new_gal...show=&ok=1#615

They still have 10 (?) of the 250 or so condos still for sale, and they have open houses every Sunday.

http://www.unionsquaregr.com/index.htm#

The same development company is also doing The Boardwalk, which is a residential conversion of the old Berkey & Gay Furniture Co. factory. Not quite as fascinating as the school, but still a cool project and HUGE (500,000 square feet):

http://boardwalkgr.com/

Shoot me a Direct Message if you need directions or more info.

Last edited by magellan; 12-21-2007 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,983 times
These properties are available everywhere. I have looked at firehouses, schools and churches. Usually they are less money than a regular house because they require a lot of work. I live in a converted church which has been an unbelievable amount of work but worth it.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:49 PM

421 posts, read 3,224,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lologroh View Post
These properties are available everywhere. I have looked at firehouses, schools and churches. Usually they are less money than a regular house because they require a lot of work. I live in a converted church which has been an unbelievable amount of work but worth it.
What city do you live in? did you use a regular realtor to find the properties or did you find it on your own?

All the commercial buildings I've seen are super expensive especially if they are made of brick or could be made into lofts, then you can fegetabout it since the developers are all over it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate