Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 06:17 PM

419 posts, read 847,312 times

Advertisements

When I bought my home, I made an all cash offer. The process was so much easier. No bank involvement, no appraisal. Offer was accepted and we closed in two weeks.

When/IF I move, I am thinking I should sell my home first before making any offers. I could find a temporary place to stay, even if it's renting a motel and P.O. Box. Why don't more people sell their home first instead of making offers contingent on the sale of their home first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 06:29 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,666,898 times
Most people have families and are not single. Its hard to understand if you dont have a family.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:54 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,236,176 times
Not to mention the stuff... I'm semi-doing this next month and I already can't stand the thought. I have two in diapers plus a dog, it would be easy if it was just me.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:08 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,147,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
When I bought my home, I made an all cash offer. The process was so much easier. No bank involvement, no appraisal. Offer was accepted and we closed in two weeks.
11 days for me. I was living in a RV and my stuff was in storage. I threw in an extra $10K just as a preemptive strike against my competition to ensure there was no bidding war. It worked. It was worth $10K to me to get out of the trailer after 2 years of house hunting.

Cash IS king. Nothing beats cash except a significantly larger offer with a solid pre-qual and no contingencies.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:54 PM

174 posts, read 397,118 times
Quote:

When/IF I move, I am thinking I should sell my home first before making any offers. I could find a temporary place to stay, even if it's renting a motel and P.O. Box. Why don't more people sell their home first instead of making offers contingent on the sale of their home first?
They truth is I don't think most buyers understand how WEAK a contingency offer really is. In the area I live, with the market how it is. Virtually no contingency offer is considered, unless you are buying a real estate agents personal home that is listed. I think the reason people do it is because they don't understand what their up against and the truth is with an accepted contingency there is no guarantee the home would sell.

Trent

Old 06-15-2014, 09:10 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,460,279 times
Because many people don't know how long it will take them to find a home they want, and they don't want the hassle/expense of moving twice. Where I live apts are extremely expensive and many restrict or forbid pets, so even for home sellers without kids, moving into a rental is a huge risk/pain.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:26 PM

265 posts, read 405,451 times
Quote:

That's assuming after you sell your house, you make enough to buy another house outright. Not very common in my experience unless it's older folks who've been in their house forever.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:24 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,179,732 times
Quote:
Quote:
Why don't more people sell their home first instead of making offers contingent on the sale of their home first?
These are two different things?! I think both of those sentiments are generally correct...but they aren't related. A person selling their home first has little to do with being able to make an all-cash offer on the next home. Unless they're moving to a much cheaper market, downsizing to a much cheaper property, or they've paid off their mortgage...which aren't terribly common situations.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:51 AM

830 posts, read 1,540,557 times
I, as a seller, would never accept an offer contingent on the buyer selling their own house. It might seem tempting in a slow market when it's the only offer after months, but then I imagine the buyer would be taking just as long to sell... perhaps accepting a home sale contingency from their buyer... and so on.

But projectmaximus has it right. How many people these days are making enough from their sale to pay cash on another house? Most people who financed a house anytime in the last 15 years will probably not be getting that much back, unless they put down a big down payment to begin with, made double payments on the mortgage, or live in a super-hot market. Lots of houses sold years before the market peaked are still not worth their original sale price. After commission and taxes are paid, we're looking at a check of about 11% of the new sale price. Not enough to buy anything, barely enough for a small down payment on a new house in the same price range. And we're in a much better position than many people.

But yes, we're selling first, not because "cash is king," but because we're in a position to do so and it makes everything much less stressful, and allows us to submit cleaner offers when we buy again.

We will be renting, and it's expensive, as someone else said it can be hard to accommodate pets, and there just aren't many good rental options in my area. I can't imagine having to find rental housing for a whole family. Prices on rental houses in my area are insane compared to what you'd pay monthly if you bought it today.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:53 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
These are two different things?! I think both of those sentiments are generally correct...but they aren't related. A person selling their home first has little to do with being able to make an all-cash offer on the next home. Unless they're moving to a much cheaper market, downsizing to a much cheaper property, or they've paid off their mortgage...which aren't terribly common situations.
I think this is the most usual case. Most people buying homes are only trading one mortgage for another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate