Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 03:38 PM

167 posts, read 359,217 times

Advertisements

1) I think I could live in 500 sq feet if it was just my husband and I.
When we were first married we lived in 600 sq foot apartment with our daughter for several years. It was fine. I could have used a few more cupboards in the kitchen, but the living area was a nice size.
We lived in a 935 sq ft house when we had our 2nd child. We lived there for 5 years. It had very small bedrooms and I would have loved to have a 2nd bathroom, but we managed.

2) My current house is 1680 sq feet and I don't think I would live in anything bigger. It feels large to me (even after 13 years here). My oldest has left home so it is just 3 of us. We don't use the spare bedroom or main floor office at all, so they just feel like wasted space to me. I certainly would not want a larger area to clean.

3) I think 1000 sq feet would feel comfortable. I love the area I live in so much that I probably will end up staying in my current home. There aren't many smaller homes in this neighbourhood.

4) 1680 sq feet.

5) I live in Canada. My sister lives in Houston Texas, my experience is that houses are much, much bigger there than they are where I live.

6) I live with my husband and 1 teenager.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 04:00 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
I would have to have at least 2500 sq feet heated with lots of porches. I have never lived in a small home, and it is just me right now, but that is about to change. Then, it will be my husband and me.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:05 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
1) What the smallest square footage you would be comfortable living in?
1200 sq. ft.

Quote:
2) What the largest square footage you would be comfortable living in (ignore affordability)?
maybe 1500 sq. ft.

Quote:
3) What what would be the ideal square footage for you (and any others you live with)?
1500 sq. ft.

Quote:
4) How big is your current dwelling?
1200 sq. ft.

Quote:
5) Where region of the country do you live in?
PNW

Quote:
6) How many people do you live with?
family of four - two parents, two teenagers, two indoor-only cats, no dogs or other pets

My current home is almost perfect in every way with regard to size/floorplan. [1200 sq. ft. 3 bedrooms 2 bath huge attached garage high ceilings open kitchen/dining/family/living areas] The only thing I wish we had was a separate room for a home office. Of course once one of the kids moves out, we can turn one of their bedrooms into a home office which will be fine.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:38 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
I only noticed 1 poster mentioned a basement. You can not compare with/without basement. Same with a garage. Also an attic.

Without a basement means everything has to be in living space. 2500 sq ft isn't much when everything has to be in that space. 1500 with a full basement and attic gives you 4500 sq ft living and storage. That is enough for most people.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
My daughter and her husband and their 3 year old grandchild all showed up as a surprise and spent the night.

We are thinking of downsizing. We think 126 square feet would be about right.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:55 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times

When I first met my boyfriend he was in an apartment that was about 750 square feet. I could have imagined myself living there temporarily, but I can't imagine going any smaller than that except in a case of dire need.

2) What the largest square footage you would be comfortable living in (ignore affordability)?

Anything over about 3,000 square feet would seem a bit absurd with my current lifestyle. However, if money was absolutely no object there are some gorgeous hundred-plus-year-old mansions along the Mississippi that I would be hard pressed to turn down.

3) What what would be the ideal square footage for you (and any others you live with)?

I would say 2,000-2,500 square feet would be about ideal.

About 2,500 square feet.

Minneapolis/St. Paul area (as evidenced by my username)

I live with my partner and our two cats. The house is bigger than we would need right now, but I don't intend to move again for a VERY long time and I wanted to have room to grow into the house as opposed to outgrowing it.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:33 PM

863 posts, read 1,196,301 times

I've lived in 500 sq ft cabin in the woods........that's about as small as I'd want to go.

If affordability and cleaning chores were off the table - I'd take an entire floor of an office building with an open floor plan. 30 or 40 thousand sq feet, the bigger the better. A place to let your imagination run wild.

Ideally, 1,500 sq feet as long as it's laid out the right way

We have about 1100 sq feet right now

The Northeast

One other person and 3 cats

Old 07-25-2014, 06:56 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times
Smallest? 1,200 sq ft.

Largest? 50,000 sq ft.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:31 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times

Comfortable, I would need 800-850 square feet. However, I could squeeze down to about 600 square feet. If properly shaped, I would be happy with a 2500 square foot lot.

If I had the staff, I would be comfortable living in Downton Abbey. If it were just me, and I was unable to hear if a window on the far side of the house was being broken, I probably wouldn't go beyond 1600 square spread over two floors of 800 square feet each.

Probably 1200. I think I would like to have an extra half bath, and an additional, but small bedroom for office (and junk) purposes.

1000 square feet. 5000 square foot lot. I have no desire for a larger lot.

San Diego

Just me.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:18 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
We've been considering moving out of our current house, in part because we feel it may be too small--or at least the space is too hard to use. This got me thinking about the regional and personal differences in living space people are comfortable with. So my questions are these:

Answers:

1. 2800-2900
2. 4000 sq ft
3. 3500-4000
4. 5211 sq ft.
5. Central Texas (Austin area)
6. 3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate