Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 02:38 PM

421 posts, read 556,903 times

Advertisements

This is a long way off, about a year we plan to move and buy another house (still dont have a location but are very serious about relocation in this time frame). My spouse uses a wheelchair and can't walk. In Houston house hunting was easy because we looked at single story homes only, and there are no basements. However we will likely at least buy a single story with a basement walkout, if not a two or three story. After we buy will will add an elevator and ramps as needed.

I'm just wondering if it would be appropriate to find a realtor that is willing to help pull the wheelchair up and down stairs? Clearly we cant buy a house without him seeing all of it, he is the money maker. It isn't a huge feet to pull him, don't need to be a muscle man.

I think it might be with in the range of "ok" to ask. Our budget will be 500k to 1 mil depending on the next job and location, so it might be worth it for the realtor, commission wise (plus I do most of my own foot work and narrow down homes to a small handful, our last guy only had to show us 3 homes. I really know what I want).

So what do y'all think? Also, on adding an elevator as its a must, has anyone had experience with this situation? Do you get the floor plans for the prospective home to give to the elevator installers, or do they come to the home?

Also one more question, how common is "elevator closets" (closet stacked that can accommodate a future elevator) in new builds? Older builds?

Thanks, lots of questions

Old 08-18-2014, 03:06 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,851,637 times
In the first place, why would you be looking at a 2-3 story house where it was necessary to "pull the wheelchair up and down the stairs?" My wife has 'only' had a knee replacement and would not even consider a multi-story home (although, we do live in an upscale multi-story Condo that, of course, has elevators).

IMO, you should provide the Realtor with a pretty specific list of 'handicap accessible' requirements. At the very least, you should start with wheelchair-sized door widths and limited stair-transitions. Modifying a home and adding a 'stair lift' or even an elevator, will cost a significant amount of money, even in a home that otherwise includes certain basic requirements.

A major factor to consider, when spending big sums for very narrow-market modifications, is resale value. Why not look for someone who has already dealt with 'the wheelchair issue' in the home they are selling?

Old 08-18-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
In the first place, why would you be looking at a 2-3 story house where it was necessary to "pull the wheelchair up and down the stairs?" My wife has 'only' had a knee replacement and would not even consider a multi-story home (although, we do live in an upscale multi-story Condo that, of course, has elevators).

IMO, you should provide the Realtor with a pretty specific list of 'handicap accessible' requirements. At the very least, you should start with wheelchair-sized door widths and limited stair-transitions. Modifying a home and adding a 'stair lift' or even an elevator, will cost a significant amount of money, even in a home that otherwise includes certain basic requirements.

A major factor to consider, when spending big sums for very narrow-market modifications, is resale value. Why not look for someone who has already dealt with 'the wheelchair issue' in the home they are selling?
Well this is why we will have an elevator. A main floor master. A 0 entry front door. Attached garage with little to no ramp to enter.

We understand the cost of an elevator. We hope to stay at the next home for a very long time so we aren't concerned about resale.

We want specifics, such as size and bedrooms (we have kids, plus adult kids who will be visiting). We don't need grab bars or ugly accommodations, my husband avoids them like the plague.

In the areas we are looking, basements are common. And for the size of the house we want, its likely it will be more then one story.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:20 PM

We also don't want to be limited to a home where updates for accessibility has been already been done. Not only do they not usually meet our needs (ie the accessible bathroom is in a mil suite), but there is so much more important things.

Plus we would rather have a new elevator with all the newer safety features.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:31 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,884,744 times
Maybe look for a house that already has the elevator? I know in our area those are certainly not common, but not unheard of, either. At least, not in the upper end of your budget.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Maybe look for a house that already has the elevator? I know in our area those are certainly not common, but not unheard of, either. At least, not in the upper end of your budget.
Still, school districts, house lay put, location, features are more important. If we found a house that fit in those and had an elevator, score. But very few houses in our range have them. Its like, you can always install an elevator, but you cant change your location.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:36 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,247,380 times
I'm not a realtor but generally speaking, I would not agree to move someone's wheelchair up and down stairs. I would be concerned about hurting myself or dropping or bumping the chair and hurting your husband. I would look to hire a health aide or some other person qualified to assist with wheelchair mobility, make sure they are good with getting the chair up and down steps and then have them accompany you on house visits.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm not a realtor but generally speaking, I would not agree to move someone's wheelchair up and down stairs. I would be concerned about hurting myself or dropping or bumping the chair and hurting your husband. I would look to hire a health aide or some other person qualified to assist with wheelchair mobility, make sure they are good with getting the chair up and down steps and then have them accompany you on house visits.
Strangers volunteer to do it all the time. We don't use home health aides. His 75 year old father even does it. Our teenage kids did it all the time. I don't think its the big deal people are assuming.

Its a two person job, I cant do the back part well anymore because of a back injury.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:20 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,884,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
Strangers volunteer to do it all the time. We don't use home health aides. His 75 year old father even does it. Our teenage kids did it all the time. I don't think its the big deal people are assuming.

Its a two person job, I cant do the back part well anymore because of a back injury.
If you don't think it's that big a deal, then why did you ask the question in the first place?

Bring the 75 year old father, or the teenage kids when you visit homes.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If you don't think it's that big a deal, then why did you ask the question in the first place?

Bring the 75 year old father, or the teenage kids when you visit homes.
Seriously? Its a valid question I posed to real estate agents. Might we wait and see if someone with experience with this could chime in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate