Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 05:19 PM

173 posts, read 2,152,653 times

Advertisements

This what Zillow announced just over a week ago

Potential Upcoming Changes to your Zestimate

Zillow regularly refines the Zestimate algorithm to take advantage of new data sources and improved technology in order to deliver as accurate a valuation as possible. Over the next few days, we are rolling out our latest updates, including a better method for handling missing home data, improvements to the use of comparable sales and inclusion of additional data. These changes may result in significant changes to individual Zestimates and Zestimate histories, but improve the overall accuracy and stability of the Zestimate.

Reading subsequent homeowner comments it seems yet another major Zillow flop with substantial drops in Zestimates for no apparent reason, well other than fundamental flaws in the algorithm and how it captures and processes 3rd party data. Interesting that Zillow claims "improve the overall accuracy and stability of the Zestimate" but with No facts to support such a claim.

Zillow has been publishing erroneous Zestimates for 8 years and accuracy is as bad as when they started despite numerous algorithm revisions like the recent one to improve accuracy. The time has come for the FTC to demand Zillow establish a DoNotZestimate opt out for homeowners as Zillow cannot be trusted to act fairly towards homeowners when obvious inaccurate Zestimates are brought to Zillows attention. It is unacceptable in any fair minded society that greedy executives like those at Zillow impose misery and potential financial damage on homeowners by imposing nonsense valuations on their homes purely to make themselves very rich by using flawed information to generate advertizing revenues.

Potential Upcoming Changes to your Zestimate - Zillow Real Estate Advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 05:34 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbiton View Post
The time has come for the FTC to demand Zillow establish a DoNotZestimate opt out for homeowners as Zillow cannot be trusted to act fairly towards homeowners when obvious inaccurate Zestimates are brought to Zillows attention.
Is there like a fantasy real estate league that uses the Zillow estimates as scores or something? I don't understand why this is an issue.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:50 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Zestimates are crap.
Will always be crap.
Zillow lacks enough data for an accurate estimate.

Zillow has my house (1/2 of a duplex) sitting in the middle of the street on my block. LOL.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:01 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Zestimates are crap.
Will always be crap.
Zillow lacks enough data for an accurate estimate.
Maybe it's too much data. Some of the houses in my street have been swinging up and down by 50% or more in a year.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:04 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,003,728 times
Good for neighborhood averages.

Perhaps their new algorithm includes hacking our PCs so they can use the camera to look into our houses. That would be required for a remotely accurate estimate.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,929,260 times
Nobody...no one.....zip...zilch....nada.....zero.....none, as in knock, knock, knock, anybody home, no one pays attention to Zillow, let alone hang out there with any seriousness. It is well known within the industry to be inaccurate. It's free enterprise, they have the legal disclaimers in place.

Do yourself a favor and block the site from youself. Your reaction gives them too much power over you.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:12 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,231,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Nobody...no one.....zip...zilch....nada.....zero.....none, as in knock, knock, knock, anybody home, no one pays attention to Zillow, let alone hang out there with any seriousness. It is well known within the industry to be inaccurate. It's free enterprise, they have the legal disclaimers in place.

Do yourself a favor and block the site from youself. Your reaction gives them too much power over you.
We are not paying attention to the tune of about 36,000,000 page views a month right now in slow season. The more controversy the more traffic. "There is no such thing as bad publicity." P.T. Barnum

Knock knock, no one =

Old 09-09-2014, 09:18 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,676,278 times
Default but no one is looking at the Zestimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
We are not paying attention to the tune of about 36,000,000 page views a month right now in slow season. The more controversy the more traffic. "There is no such thing as bad publicity." P.T. Barnum

Knock knock, no one =
Yeah, maybe. But how many of those 36,000,000 are visiting Zillow for the Zestimates? I surf by there regularly for details about properties on the market. The Zestimates are purely for laughs.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:18 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbiton View Post
[/i]Reading subsequent homeowner comments it seems yet another major Zillow flop with substantial drops in Zestimates for no apparent reason, well other than fundamental flaws in the algorithm and how it captures and processes 3rd party data. Interesting that Zillow claims "improve the overall accuracy and stability of the Zestimate" but with No facts to support such a claim.
I think it's time for you to seek employment at Zillow so you can fix everything (and maybe find some peace of mind).

Old 09-10-2014, 03:30 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,319,080 times
So, every time the name Zillow comes up, I feel obligated to go see what they "zestimate" my home is worth. I'm crushed today, they say it lost $37K in value last MONTH down to $197K.

Damn, I should have sold it last month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate