Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 12:11 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1985 View Post
Another few years, we can make a few grand from selling the home.
You need to sell this house ASAP. You will not be able to afford it. I shudder when I think of you renting it out...you apparently have no clue how a house rental can cost you, instead you just see $$$ flowing into your hands. "A few grand" will not miraculously flow into your bank account. Do you have iron-clad proof that the market will be the same in "another few years"? Do you have a realtor who guarantees that?

You are flying on a wing and a prayer, about to lose one income when your child is born. You should have seen the writing on the wall when your sister decided not to move your Mom in with you. You should have gotten that in writing before you signed any paperwork. Now you are going to dig a deeper hole...

Get out now, while you can. Soon it may cost you to get out, and you'll have one less income to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 12:17 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
No sites are accurate. You need an appraisal.
One could make the argument that a market analysis from a trustworthy and skilled real estate agent has the potential to be more accurate than an appraisal.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:42 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1985 View Post
What do you think is best option? What things are we not thinking of?
Reduce your expenses. Switch your iphone to prepaid phone, switch from cable tv to netflix, etc.

Many parents must work two jobs these days. Its just how it is. Your idea of not working to raise kids may not be possible.

Remember even if you find a place to rent, rents will continue to rise. Your mortgage payment will not.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:52 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Sell even if you break even. Financially and mentally imo you are not ready to be a LL

Old 10-05-2014, 02:00 PM

82 posts, read 178,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You need to sell this house ASAP. You won't be able to afford it. I shudder when I think of you renting it out...you apparently have no clue how a house rental can cost you, instead you just see $$$ flowing into your hands. "A few grand" will not miraculously flow into your bank account. Do you have iron-clad proof that the market will be the same in "another few years"? Do you have a realtor who guarantees that?

You are flying on a wing and a prayer, about to lose one income when your child is born. You should have seen the writing on the wall when your sister decided not to move your Mom in with you. You should have gotten that in writing before you signed any paperwork. Now you are going to dig a deeper hole...

Get out now, while you can. Soon it may cost you to get out, and you'll have one less income to do so.

I meant that if we rented it out, the mortgage would be paid down. Once we would sell, we could potentially make some money from it. Also, still owning this home allows us to deduct when filing taxes. I know that we would have to still put money into it. I had a home in Detroit that i rented out while i was in Alabama. After a few years, even in Detroit economy, I was able to get my mortgage down, and sell for a profit. I sunk 4k into it, but made 10 when I sold. That was a gamble to me, but didn't have a choice. We had to get out of that neighborhood and towards better jobs. The market here in this city in Alabama has not changed much. The home prices have increased since we bought the home and continue to do so. Again, we did meet with 3 realtors last year so we feel confident about that.

We are weighing all options. We appreciate everyone's input. Please continue to point out things we are overlooking. thanks!

Old 10-05-2014, 02:03 PM

82 posts, read 178,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Reduce your expenses. Switch your iphone to prepaid phone, switch from cable tv to netflix, etc.

Many parents must work two jobs these days. Its just how it is. Your idea of not working to raise kids may not be possible.

Remember even if you find a place to rent, rents will continue to rise. Your mortgage payment will not.
Thinking about that too. With child care being expensive, I would have to work weekends while husband is at home. That is also another option combined with refinancing. We don't have family here so it makes things a bit different.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:59 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
If you decide to rent the house and move,I hope you will have enough money to pay for your own rent, plus the mortgage on the house. Renters leave, they destroy property, they will call you all the time for anything from a plugged up toilet to a leak in the roof. Be prepared to either fix it yourself, or pay for someone to do it.

I would never ever rent out a house, especially if I didnt live close driving distance to it so I could keep an eye on it. Long distance landlording could cost you a LOT of money.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:38 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Sell the house then rent your next home. If you think your home is too much upkeep when you live there maintaining it as a rental will be worse.

Research realtors in your area, invite 3 to look at your home and prepare a marketing plan including listing price. With regard to listing price take a long look at the comps they present. If all seem appropriate then pick the middle $. Then look to see who has the most effective marketing plan and who has the best record of selling in your area. Choose that agent.

Develop a moving plan, sell/dispose of things you won't need, pack what you can. Keep an eye on rentals in your area but do not sign a lease until you have an offer in hand.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:05 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
Having a baby will change *everything*. Truly, EVERYTHING. If you think being a homeowner is hard, being a landlord will really drive you nuts. There is so much risk, and it can be extremely complicated. Simply your life however you can. I was a stay at home mom for years, best decision I ever made for our family but it came with sacrifices. Don't over think this, you already know what you should do.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:33 PM

404 posts, read 827,041 times
Sell. Being a landlord is a headache, totally not worth it for $75/mo. Refi fees are not worth it to save you $100/mo over the couple years you think you'll be there. Also, when you do go to move out of state it is good to be nimble and ready to bounce without the headache of owning a house. We just moved across the country and DH got job he HAD to take. So he left me and the kid to pack up and move ourselves. Selling our house in the dead of winter the week before christmas. He was at the new location for 3 months without us before everything was said and done with the house. And I had to do it all alone. If we had been renting it would have been SO MUCH EASIER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate