Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 03:52 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,886 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the comment; I had a couple call me right after it rented and they offered me $200 more. I was assuming I would have similar opportunities in the future. It was incidental they were LGBT and I apologize and can see how this was interpreted. I am sorry and deserve the criticism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 03:32 PM

Oh she's at it again. We repaired the tap in the water tank and fixed the leak (it's an indirect tank off the boiler) and she is accusing me of putting her and her kid at risk somehow, like she was going to blow up. Now she wants me to make unspecified repairs to the electrical system. She asked me how the water heater (gas indirect) off the water heater would effect her electrical costs and I said they are not related. Calls me a liar, insists I put her in danger and asks me "how low can you be?" My attorney says do not engage her when she taunts me, etc. But she is nuts. She had no idea that an electrical receptacle had a switch on the wall and thought the outlet was broken. When I told her to flip the switch, she said that was 'substandard' and wanted to know if the house would pass a 'home inspection'. ???????

So I am going to enforce the lease by requesting that all repair requests be sent to me certified mail (she just rattles off emails - that is no longer going to work), that I get a copy of her tenant's insurance (required) and ask her to do an inspection with me to point out any items she is concerned about and that I respond to reasonable requests (the house is in very good to excellent condition throughout).

Overall though my attorney said that 1. Evictions are costly and difficult 2. Enforce the lease. 3. Don't renew. 4. Hope she pays the rent. 5. Learn to ignore her ad hominem attacks; consider the source.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:57 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post

Overall though my attorney said that 1. Evictions are costly and difficult 2. Enforce the lease. 3. Don't renew. 4. Hope she pays the rent. 5. Learn to ignore her ad hominem attacks; consider the source.
Sounds like your attorney gave you some excellent advice.

The certified letter seems like a smart move.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:24 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
...and ask her to do an inspection with me to point out any items she is concerned about ...

Why are you going to open that can of worms? It's opposite of getting certified mail requests in writing. I cannot imagine how long her complaint list will be during the inspection. You'll subjecting yourself to her long winded crazy complaints, in person. Why?

Old 11-15-2014, 10:30 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
^^^ This, exactly!

Old 11-15-2014, 01:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Why are you going to open that can of worms? It's opposite of getting certified mail requests in writing. I cannot imagine how long her complaint list will be during the inspection. You'll subjecting yourself to her long winded crazy complaints, in person. Why?
I have to agree. If anything, get a professional home inspections and let THAT determine what repairs you make, and tell her that's it.

But your attorney's advice is best. Don 't feed the energy creature.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:43 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I have to agree. If anything, get a professional home inspections and let THAT determine what repairs you make, and tell her that's it.

But your attorney's advice is best. Don 't feed the energy creature.
Adding to this, require her to be vacant from the property during the inspection, or at least tell her SHE cannot speak to the inspector. And make sure you follow the inspector around! And for the inspector's sake pick the inspector up somewhere so she cannot see inspector's vehicle if the inspector's company information is on the vehicle. And if you dare give her a copy of the inspector's report black out all of the contact information so she can't contact the inspector.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:37 AM

Thanks everyone - all good advice.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:57 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
I've got her vacating the property while an inspector is there.

But I'm not sure why you would do this. You will be spending several hundred dollars so that you can say, "Well, the inspector said it was just fine."

I'll bet you good money that will not slow down the complaints.

The certified letter business might slow it down some. I think that's a good move.

It sounds as if this woman is struggling with some mental health issues. Telling her that your inspector found nothing wrong will not change her belief that she is living in a dangerous house. It's just not that easy to change a delusion.

You may want to ride it through the holidays as this is often a difficult time to get new tenants. '

When you are ready to part company with her, let her know that you certainly understand if she would like to move into a home that she feels is safer and that in any case, you will not be renewing the lease.

Not sure what advice to give you when a new landlord calls for references.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:49 PM

Well, the GFI on the bath light/fan triggered, now she's decided to tell me about it as an indicator of an "unconventional" electrical system that needs to be replaced. She won't let me in to fix it and won't press the 'reset' button because she'll get a shock (she says) - all my fault (no pun intended) since I did not explain to her what a GFI does. On top of that she is asking for her security deposit back, claiming she's been harmed and the security deposit would be ample compensation for all she's been through. Says she'd been breathing in natural gas since she moved in. She asked me for a detailed explanation as to why I should keep her security deposit. It's Dec. 1 and she hasn't paid the rent. According to MA law, she can't withhold rent without written cause and a specific 'cure' such as repairing a roof, water heater, etc when accompanied by citation from the local Board Of Health which enforces the MA Sanitary Code. She's done none of that. She is very very confused about many things but she can be certain: We'll be evicting her. I guess I will take my lumps on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting