Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:50 PM

144 posts, read 520,560 times

Advertisements

Mortgage applications up...
MBA: Mortgage applications jumped in holiday week - Jan. 9, 2008 (broken link)

Hope this means a busy market this Spring for all concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 01:27 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,143,650 times
Mortgage apps go up an down like the weather or the stock market. Rates dropped pretty good, so refi. apps are up. I wouldn't look for a spring boom based on this.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:30 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,731,709 times
A sign of what??

Did you mention that there were sharp declines in applications for the previous 3 weeks prior to this?

Did you also mention that applications jumped over 16% this time last year because of the volatility of the index?

I understand realtors are grasping for any type of encouraging news, but it does no one any good by providing false hope.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:45 PM

I guess I should have noted that I was actually being sarcastic. Sorry.

The point I would rather make is if buyers and sellers are listening to and believing everything they hear and read about the houseing market, maybe there is hope that they will read these types of reports and begin to believe them.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:13 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,717,638 times
Unfortunately, the problems with the market have nothing to do with buyers and sellers reading and believing bad news. There are fundamental problems with the economics of the real estate and credit markets right now, and reading a positive news article won't fix that.

But in any case, is there any way to tell what % of the applications were denied compared to previous years? It'd be interesting to know if the number of mortgage apps had to go up because people were getting turned down in much higher numbers than before.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Unfortunately, the problems with the market have nothing to do with buyers and sellers reading and believing bad news. There are fundamental problems with the economics of the real estate and credit markets right now, and reading a positive news article won't fix that.

But in any case, is there any way to tell what % of the applications were denied compared to previous years? It'd be interesting to know if the number of mortgage apps had to go up because people were getting turned down in much higher numbers than before.
I whole heartedly agree. Many of the statistics are misleading and I was hoping some mortgage brokers would chime in about what they are seeing as their own experience.

I for one can say that in my own experience, mortgage companies are requiring much more up to date documentation than before. 6 months ago, we got a mortgage on a $660+ house with our fantastic credit score and not much documentation.

We are now in the process of buying a townhouse in Apex as part of a 1031 Exchange which you would think would make it easier since the funds from the previous investment sale are socked away with the exchange company. We have been required to provide every piece of documentation regarding our salaries, other mortgages, bank statements, hud1's from the other sales, and yes our credit is still excellent.

I find this an amazing change from just a short time ago and especially since the exchanged property could be purchased in cash if we wanted to.

I think that many of the mortgage companies are taking a really hard look at borrowers and making sure they are solid. Has anyone had a different experience recently that would prove this to be untrue?

Old 01-15-2008, 10:50 AM

99 posts, read 408,749 times
Quote:

I disagree with the all-encompassing "nothing to do with...". I agree that there are fundamental issues (not just problems), but I do think the media reports affect mindsets of both buyers and sellers and thus the market as well.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:38 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,717,638 times
OK, "nothing to do with" might be slightly overstating things. But the media is just reporting a trend that started before they started reporting on it, kind of by definition.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:08 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
Two holiday-interrupted weeks. A lot of people were out until after New Year's Day. I think the apps just got bunched into the second week to be processed.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:29 AM

99 posts, read 408,749 times
Quote:
OK, "nothing to do with" might be slightly overstating things. But the media is just reporting a trend that started before they started reporting on it, kind of by definition.
But that's my point - I don't think the media is "just reporting". I think the current state of things is in part due to the reporting that goes on.

My area is a perfect example - talk to most people here, and they would tell you prices have fallen dramatically, may even claiming price drops of "50% or more!". The statistics, however do not show that at all. Volume has dropped significantly, but even that is not down 50%. Prices overall actually continued to increase here, albeit much less than at the peak of the boom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate