Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 03:45 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,981 times

Advertisements

We are looking for some commercial property for our small business. I recently came across a small industrial condo that is in our price range.

We'd rather have a free-standing bldg but I dont think we can afford that. I wanted to get some information on the pros and cons of an Industrial condo.

This complex has about 30 units, in 3 bldgs. The units vary in size & prize, but average about $300 per sq ft. I assume there are also some sort of 'association' fees, too, like when you buy a residential condo to cover the bldg itself, common areas, etc.

Also curious about resale, and how easy these units would be to resell later.

Anyone have any input, as a realtor/owner/buyer of an industrial unit?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 06:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,306,022 times
I represented the first office condo in the state of Washington back in the early '80's and I think it's an outstanding way for small business to go about operating their business.

They work exactly as residential condos do, you own the space and the common areas are subject to HOA dues.

Resale is no different than a residential condo either, except the demand for such space may be less subject to the whims of the real estate market.

Sounds like a winner.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:30 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,981 times
Thanks for the info.

I think an office condo would be an easier decision. We are looking at an industrial condo - basically a large space with cement floors and a restroom, roll up door. No office or anything. I guess I am worried most about resale, because who knows who else will be in the complex. Since they are industrial units, it could be anything! At least in an office condo bldg, you have 'offices'.

We are going to need a mix of warehouse & office, so an industrial unit is best for us. I am just worried that when we outgrow it we wont be able to sell. I guess we could wait and see who else moves in. Industrial zoning in our area allows for just about anything!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:54 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,306,022 times
Your other options are leasing a space to suit your needs now. Leasing is 100% deductible of course. If you buy the condo as a separate investment entity (set up an LLC) to rent it to company you will gain the tax befits and equity build-up inherent in investment real estate.

The factors that mitigate your decision to buy are;

Will you outgrow the space in a short period of time?
When it comes time to sell, where will the business cycle and real estate market be?

When you do outgrow the space you need to remember that there ought to be other business that are in the same situation as you are in now. Even if you find yourself outgrowing it as a business, you also have the advantage of leasing it to the next business rather than selling it, which becomes a tax decision more than a business one.

I survived the early '80's real estate bust by doing commercial leasing. It was much less subject to the vagaries presented by 18% interest rates. I think your investment in the condo is more prudent than you realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate