Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 04:02 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,954 times

Advertisements

Remove, it creeps some people out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 04:06 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
Yep. I'm with the majority: remove it.

When I've buried pets, I dug a deep, deep hole and then filled it in a bit and then planted an appropriate bush for the yard. That way, I didn't have to worry about someone raking up the bones in a shallow grave.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:08 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,922 times
I wouldn't bother me a bit.....and you could leave the fencing. I don't care for statues.

My church buries its cats in the front garden. As you walk to the front door.. to the side of the path you can read the little headstones of the dearly departed.

We had a memorial garden in our backyard. My father designed it. It's gone now......but if you use google satellite.......you can tell something was there. It was designed with 12 plots. I used 4.....my sister used a couple as well.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:50 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
We are selling our house on 2.5 acres that are partially wooded.

We have a pet cemetery in the backyard not visible from the street or even the house.

It is small with a low plastic fence and a few statues.

The plan is to take the headstones when we move.

Here is the dilemma-I want to remove the fencing and statues and rake over the area to its natural state. This could easily be done and no one would know.

Wife disagrees and says we should simply leave as is after removing the headstones. I think this will be a detriment to selling.

Thoughts?
My thought is your wife is dead wrong.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:58 PM

986 posts, read 1,864,996 times
Remove the statues and fencing. Will impact resale for sure. Maybe plant a few bushes there as others have suggested to prevent someone from digging in the area.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:28 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Remove, it creeps some people out!
Yep. Remove it. I had a client that was supposed to remove it before the first showing and then I got the "hey, what are the white crosses in the backyard" call.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:39 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,772 times
Like another poster said , I too am one that would take over the cemetery until it was my time to go or I moved but again like the other poster that's just me.. plus for some reason I just get VERY emotional at pet cemetery's , not at human cemeteries even seeing my parents . I could be that I am actually AT human cemeteries more being a findagrave contributor. IDK .

Old 01-02-2016, 07:14 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
Death is natural and neither the cemetery or someone dying in a house would bother me.

But other people are NOT all in agreement. As you can see here, some people are every bit as squeamish about dead pets as dead people. If you want to remove barriers to selling, do as others have said; get rid of the fence and plant something (maybe a low spreading bush) over the pets' remains so no one will accidentally dig them up.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:31 PM

14,461 posts, read 12,090,641 times
I have three horses, a goat and three dogs buried here. The previous owner buried at least one horse. There will be more before we're done here.

All beloved old pets. I rescue horses and dogs, so, I've had my fair share of oldies in our time here.
They are a year or two apart, perfectly legally buried well away from our well... and all were sufficiently deep that they should not be found accidentally. It's a big piece of property.

I'll probably remove the markers when we sell. Don't cause issues that just don't need to be there.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:37 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,616,978 times
We have only had personal care over small pets.

When we moved in our previous house the previous owners pointed out where they had buried a few pets. Words like "yuk" and "so sad" came to our minds at that time.

Our next door neighbor, a great animal lover, buried and prayed over a few pets in their side yard. They cared greatly but never planned to take them with them when they moved.

We have always had our pets who died cremated and put in nice little containers. Personally, we could never see burying them on private property and moving on. It just didn't compute for us. A cemetery, okay, but not a house yard that would belong to someone else someday.

We put their little boxes inside very pretty larger boxes with their mementos, leashes, etc. and cards, texts and email condolences and take them with us as we move.

At any rate, my opinion on the topic at hand would be....take them...how awful, or at least disconcerting, to find boxes or jars or skulls and skeletons as one plants or digs for some reason and to have to dispose of them. (That said, I'm not averse to artifacts...but fairly recent small pets....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate