Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 07:51 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,425,578 times

Advertisements

I held out with XP for as long as I could, but luckily 10 was a month away when it finally died. I still have my Service Pack 1 disk.

As for the court of public opinion, like all tools, it can be used for good and bad purposes. Just wish we could get both sides of the story rather than who can get to internet first. If there is some long, charged thread issue, I usually read the first page to get a basis, then jump to the last page to find the corrections and clarifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 07:55 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Seems like a lot of the coverage has been sensationalized and making a case for rent control without providing details.

Eviction is the culmination of what tends to be a long legal process where the Court has ordered the tenant(s) to leave and will back it up with the Sheriff if necessary...

Old 02-26-2016, 09:48 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
'Where am I going to go?': Cancer sufferer, 97, is being evicted from the small home she has rented for 66 YEARS so landlord can cash in on booming million-dollar California property prices

The community of Burlingame, California is rallying around a 97-year-old cancer patient who faces eviction from the home she has lived in for nearly seven decades.
Marie Hatch, 97, says she first moved into her home 66 years ago when her friend Vivian Kruse owned the cozy cottage.

Hatch claims Kruse gave her a verbal promise that she could live in the home until she died - a promise that was guaranteed by Kruse's daughter and then granddaughter.
But after Kruse's granddaughter died in 2006, her husband took control of the home and now he is pushing to sell the property.

Hatch and her 85-year-old roommate Georgia Rothrock were served with eviction papers on February 11, giving them 60 days to vacate the property.

Read more:
Marie Hatch aged 97 faces eviction from California home she's rented for 66 YEARS | Daily Mail Online
I'm sorry, but no one here has touched upon what I think is the most important point:

Why would a woman in 1950 tell her 31 year old friend that she could live there for life? Was Marie Hatch blackmailing her friend? Were they secret lovers? Was it payment for some nefarious deed long ago committed?

Or did Vivian Cruse tell her friend one day "stay as long as you like, I don't need the money anyway" and this turned into a contract in Marie Hatch's eyes, which she guilted 2 generations of descendants into following?

I'm sure we will never know.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:03 AM

My Great Aunt lived in Newark and rented one side of a Duplex with the owner living in the other side.

It was 1960 when she moved in... she had just lost her husband and was downsizing.

In 1985 the owner became ill and for 5 years my Aunt was his caretaker...

He put in his will that she could continue to live in the home for the rest of her life with no rent increase effective 1990 when he passed.

She lived there for 6 more years before going to a retirement community...

Some people and some families still show their appreciation.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:10 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I'm sorry, but no one here has touched upon what I think is the most important point:

Why would a woman in 1950 tell her 31 year old friend that she could live there for life? Was Marie Hatch blackmailing her friend? Were they secret lovers? Was it payment for some nefarious deed long ago committed?

Or did Vivian Cruse tell her friend one day "stay as long as you like, I don't need the money anyway" and this turned into a contract in Marie Hatch's eyes, which she guilted 2 generations of descendants into following?

I'm sure we will never know.
The bold part is probably what happened if this story is actually true.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:19 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My Great Aunt lived in Newark and rented one side of a Duplex with the owner living in the other side.

It was 1960 when she moved in... she had just lost her husband and was downsizing.

He put in his will that she could continue to live in the home for the rest of her life with no rent increase effective 1990 when he passed.

And thank goodness for that!

I'm not sure how this relates to a woman expecting her friend's granddaughter's widower to fulfill a supposed verbal promise of which there is no record, instead of selling the property for the benefit of that long-deceased friend's great-grandchildren.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
And thank goodness for that!

I'm not sure how this relates to a woman expecting her friend's granddaughter's widower to fulfill a supposed verbal promise of which there is no record, instead of selling the property for the benefit of that long-deceased friend's great-grandchildren.
The rest of the story is the man's 70 year old niece inherited the duplex as he had no living children... his son died in WWII

The 70 year old niece passed away so it was the grand nephew was now my Great Aunt's Landlord...

He really didn't know her but said he would abide by his great uncle's wishes.

Who know... Great Aunt lived another 7 years in a retirement home... it could certainly have stretched out...

The grand nephew put the property up for sale when she moved... he did get a nice little windfall... he did have to wait for it...

There was no trust involved or minor children.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:30 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

It can be done, but it has to be in writing and part of an actual will. None of this verbal nonsense. There could also be financial issues with things like this.

We went through that with my FIL's will. He let his daughter live in the house for a year. Nothing was said about paying rent or any of the bills so they just kept accumulating because the executor didn't want anyone to pay for anything. That's great, but that's not how the real world works. They ended up having to sell off items to pay for some bills. Taxes come due and they won't wait years for an estate to be settled.

The whole thing turned into a HUGE mess. The executor came to the children at one point and wanted hundreds of dollars from each of them every month until the estate was settled. We didn't have it and I was not about to pay bills so someone could live for free. Join us in the real world! The estate got settled quickly after the children said no they weren't paying the bills. There was a house that could be sold!

Old 02-26-2016, 10:33 AM

Funny things happen when people die and have assets...

I really believe all involved know this is a long-shot and this is why it is in the court of public opinion...

No where do I know does it state a property has to be vacant to sell... of course any unresolved encumbrance will have a negative affect on value.

I bet you people would line up to buy the property at half a million dollars with the understanding the existing tenant has a life estate under the current rental structure.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:48 AM

160 posts, read 148,593 times
Can someone explain why people are calling this an eviction? Seems to me like it's a failure to renew a lease.

It would only be an eviction if she stopped paying her rent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate