Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How to respond to an outrageous low ball (40% below market for an updated property in a good area) o
Don’t respond? 55 46.22%
Respond with listing price restated? 35 29.41%
Counter with lowest price & terms you would accept? 21 17.65%
Counter with price higher than listing? 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 10:43 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,361,909 times

Advertisements

How would you respond to a ridiculous offer (the property is wonderful and priced appropriately in the market, the market is kind of sluggish but not seriously a problem)

Don’t respond at all
Simply counter with something you would accept
Restate the listing price?
Counter with a price above asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 10:48 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,503,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
How would you respond to a ridiculous offer (the property is wonderful and priced appropriately in the market, the market is kind of sluggish but not seriously a problem)

Don’t respond at all
Simply counter with something you would accept
Restate the listing price?
Counter with a price above asking?
This is all incredibly subjective.

What is list price, what is offer price, how are comps priced?

Take the personal feelings out of it and give us the numbers; only then can any response/advice be given that would be at all worthwhile

Old 07-24-2019, 10:58 AM

201 posts, read 199,801 times
As a seller, I love lowball offer because I can "use" them. Usually other buyers come and ask: Do you have an offer now? My agent is advised to say: YES, we have multiple offers. I can't tell you the price. But deadline is XYZ.

Use them to your advantage.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
This is all incredibly subjective.

What is list price, what is offer price, how are comps priced?

Take the personal feelings out of it and give us the numbers; only then can any response/advice be given that would be at all worthwhile
Not asking for opinion on the listing price. I’ve been in this game for 40 years. Just wondering how others would respond to a low ball offer. Assume its properly priced and the offer is outrageously low ball. WWYD?

Old 07-24-2019, 11:04 AM

6,487 posts, read 10,363,068 times
I would counter with an offer at a lesser price, but not your absolute lowest acceptable price. That option was not listed in your poll. I have never heard of a seller choosing your 4th option, but maybe you mis-typed that one.

Just my opinion, but there may be more information about the property that has not been shared entirely. Did the buyer have an inspection done on the property ?

Never show your cards in a poker game to your opponents until the game is over.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I would counter with an offer at a lesser price, but not your absolute lowest acceptable price. That option was not listed in your poll. I have never heard of a seller choosing your 4th option, but maybe you mis-typed that one.

Just my opinion, but there may be more information about the property that has not been shared entirely. Did the buyer have an inspection done on the property ?

Never show your cards in a poker game to your opponents until the game is over.
Oh, you’re right, I should have offered the option to respond like it was a normal offer.......

Option 4 is a spite response.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:22 AM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
You respond like it is a normal offer and counteroffer like you would. You come down off of list price slightly if that is what you would do with a non-lowball, non-full price offer.

There are some people that just need to throw out the lowball to see if you are desperate to take it and then engage in normal negotiations once you counter back that you aren't. Number 4 is an immature response, in my opinion.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:46 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,659,486 times
I would not respond at all. If the agent or broker followed up, I would tell them that was a ridiculous offer and if they wanted to submit a legitimate offer to please do so. Of course, if you are an agent representing someone, you must PRESENT the offer to them - but the seller gets to decide how to respond (or not).

Old 07-24-2019, 11:54 AM

6,487 posts, read 10,363,068 times
The seller has no obligation to respond to the buyer and should consult their Realtor to determine the best response.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:03 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,822,323 times
I would respond. We were offered 10% below asking on our properly priced home, which is also the lowest priced home in our neighborhood. It's in the mountains, so the homes are not selling super fast, but not terribly slowly either. The offer came in about 5 weeks after we put it on the market. I countered back at full price but they had wanted closing costs paid, so we agreed to that. We were 2 weeks from closing when the buyers backed out over something they felt was a deal breaker. It was an easy fix and was completed within days, but their agent had freaked them out. So we are back on the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate