Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 01:32 PM

329 posts, read 471,121 times

Advertisements

At this point we are not sure exactly where we want to retire.. We did a week trip to Oregon and loved it and just got back last night from week tour of Washington..
I drove by towns that I had saved some homes I saw on Zillow to see that area..
So we will be back this summer to spend a week in Oregon and week in Washington..
So how does it work when we are not sure what area we want to move to?
If we see a house we want to see inside and then find another house hour or two, or four or six away, then what??
I mean what distance would a realtor cover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 01:35 PM

991 posts, read 1,521,219 times
First narrow down the areas you want to focus on. Then find a good Realtor in each of those areas.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:20 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
At this point we are not sure exactly where we want to retire...
Then make that decision.
That decision should NOT depend on any specific house.

When you ARE ready to look in City X vs City Y... the look for an agent there.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:14 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,236,445 times
In western states it's pretty common for agents to cover very broad areas. But it would probably be hard to find an agent licensed in multiple states, just due to state regulation hassles.

You could try to work with a large agency like Coldwell Banker who would have agents in both states, and form a team of multiple agents covering the territory you are interested in. It would simplify communications and scheduling for you at least.

But I don't think you'll be happy with the results if you don't narrow your focus a little bit more. Spend some more times getting to know the area. No two places are alike, anywhere in the world. Just because you saw some cute places on Zillow doesn't mean the neighborhoods are the same, or the local civic life is the same, or even the climate is the same (in the mountains especially it can vary considerably, north facing vs south facing mountainside, valley vs foothills, town vs outskirts).

Once you've thought about it some more, you will probably end up where most people start their searches--you will have a primary search area with a larger secondary area that you may consider because they meet most but not all of your criteria. And then you will most likely have eliminated the need for multiple agents.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:04 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
It depends! If you want to look for days or weeks in each area, I would get a realtor who lives and knows each area. If you're coming up for one short trip over a few days to see them all, I would find one realtor that doesn't mind driving.

By way of example, I usually cover Thurston Lewis and Mason counties in the SW part of WA state... and we just did a 500+ mile tour over 3 days covering much of Western Washington. We did Thurston and Lewis Counties, plus a long trip up to see Kitsap and Snohomish Counties also! Ordinarily I don't venture that far, but our client, like you, was from out of the state and didn't know what part of the state she wanted to be in until she could explore it.... and see the homes available... and the prices in each. So we went!

Our client ended up really liking a place that is only a few miles from our place down here. The closest of the bunch. That's how it goes. They close in a few weeks. ~fingers crossed~

Old 01-29-2017, 07:02 PM

My husband can work part time in either Eugene ,Portland or Olympia/Tacoma ..
So the areas we have seen that we love are Eugene and Silverton areas, and then in WA we love Olympia areas( wll most of Thurston county) as well as the Puget Sound areas ..
We will be ready to move this summer and we know what we are looking for as far as homes and towns..
They are both amazing states with great towns, so honestly will come down to finding the right home because we will only look in the towns we went and saw and fell in love with..
I hope to do most the leg work by looking on Zillow..
But Diana you answered my question, thank you.. I will contact you when we come out to WA because I am happy to see you did not mind going out of the areas you cover..♥ Right now we are leaning more towards WA.. just got back and still on my vacation high.. ha ha

Old 01-29-2017, 08:55 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
You're welcome and we're happy to help. :-)

Old 01-30-2017, 06:08 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post

My husband can work part time in either Eugene ,Portland or Olympia/Tacoma ..
So the areas we have seen that we love are Eugene and Silverton areas,
and then in WA we love Olympia areas as well as the Puget Sound areas ..
On this basis I suggest that you shouldn't BUY anywhere.
Pick a mid point location that suits well enough... and RENT something nice enough.

Over the next year or two take your time to explore these MANY and quite varied areas.
Make some friends and get settled in with the new job too.

THEN start looking more critically at the several locations
and experience them at several times of the year with an eye toward a purchase.

Don't force it and don't rush it.
And it's still a far too large of an area to consider as one.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it okay to use more than one realtor when looking around the state?-pnw.png  

Last edited by MrRational; 01-30-2017 at 06:56 AM..

Old 01-30-2017, 07:16 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,302,429 times
We did that during our first house hunt when we lived in Queens. We used a Queens realtor to look in the area near where we already were. Then when we looked in Larchmont, NY we used a Westchester realtor. Then we used Bergen County realtor. Then we used an Essex County realtor - but since Essex County is pretty spread out, we used one realtor for the western/southern part of Essex, and another realtor for the eastern/northern part. In all we saw 70+ homes all around the entire NYC area before finding "the one."

At the time we knew we wanted to stay around NYC, but we were flexible on WHERE around NYC we lived. Thus the use of different realtors for each area in which we looked.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
On this basis I suggest that you shouldn't BUY anywhere.
Pick a mid point location that suits well enough... and RENT something nice enough.

Over the next year or two take your time to explore these MANY and quite varied areas.
Make some friends and get settled in with the new job too.

THEN start looking more critically at the several locations
and experience them at several times of the year with an eye toward a purchase.

Don't force it and don't rush it.
And it's still a far too large of an area to consider as one.
MrRational, I love your name and your advice is spot on.. We been told that from friends and family to rent first.. However we are bringing a small zoo with us, 2 German Shepard's, 2 cats and 2 bunnies.. ♥♥
So I think the chances of finding a rental would be slim from what I have read.. .. and bummer is that none of of friends and family are able to help us out with the pets because they all have theirs..
We could possibly just swing renting a month, maybe 2 and leave our 21 yr daughter here to take care of them here at home before she moves up with us..
Right now we think we are leaning more towards Washington so may focus more towards there..
looks like the areas I loved are all within hour distance to each other.
We will be semi retired.. My husband will only work 2 days a week..
Thanks again for wonderful advice..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate