Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 06:03 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
We had a good hundred people show up at our open house.
Then you are in the catbird's seat here.

Though you don't want to go through the whole showing thing again, with that much interest you and your buyers both know there will be another offer along soon enough.

So you offered $8K to offset needed repairs. They want $20K discount. Figure out what you are willing to knock off for repairs and counteroffer. $10K? $12K?

I would also include that you will continue to show the property and take back-up offers. Otherwise, you could fuss around with these folks all summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 06:08 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
sounds like they are picky and want perfection....for free/cheap.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:09 AM

1,640 posts, read 794,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
Maybe you're not as naïve as you say.
Maybe it's that my purchasing experience is only with short sales. There is no repair negotiations. There is low balling and I was waiting for that, but my buyers didn't do it. So it's a bit of a different animal I guess. Hopefully another 1k will get me out of my house!

Old 05-03-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Then you are in the catbird's seat here.

Though you don't want to go through the whole showing thing again, with that much interest you and your buyers both know there will be another offer along soon enough.

So you offered $8K to offset needed repairs. They want $20K discount. Figure out what you are willing to knock off for repairs and counteroffer. $10K? $12K?

I would also include that you will continue to show the property and take back-up offers. Otherwise, you could fuss around with these folks all summer.
Thank you. This is good advice. I'm going to call my agent with it.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:14 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
My gut says you're sitting on a hot buy. Well within HomeReady pricing (3% down) range. I think you have a bottom feeder. I would tell your buyers (via agent) the home inspection is not to renegotiate the contract, but to make sure they can handle defects not readily seen. Now, most buyers try to make it a second chance negotiation, but your agent is who controls the offers you entertain. They could easily say, "sellers will entertain closing cost assistance, but the home inspection needs to be for informational purposes only" (buyer can still walk, but don't come back to the seller for more money).

Your biggest mistake was the Realtor you hired. In a limited market of firt-time buyer homes, anyone can list and sell one. A good agent is the gatekeeper of what comes in.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
sounds like they are picky and want perfection....for free/cheap.
There is new construction on my block if they want perfection for 700k+. That was another thing- the asking price was supposed to reflect needed small repairs.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
My gut says you're sitting on a hot buy. Well within HomeReady pricing (3% down) range. I think you have a bottom feeder. I would tell your buyers (via agent) the home inspection is not to renegotiate the contract, but to make sure they can handle defects not readily seen. Now, most buyers try to make it a second chance negotiation, but your agent is who controls the offers you entertain. They could easily say, "sellers will entertain closing cost assistance, but the home inspection needs to be for informational purposes only" (buyer can still walk, but don't come back to the seller for more money).

Your biggest mistake was the Realtor you hired. In a limited market of firt-time buyer homes, anyone can list and sell one. A good agent is the gatekeeper of what comes in.
Yes, that's exactly what it was supposed to be. I went with her because she was my buyers agent for my current home. I've also reached out to her over the years for advice and she has always made herself available to me. So, I had some earnedloyalty, which is probably a poor business decision. I'm no business woman. She did say exactly what you said here, so I'm not sure how we ended up with the negotiation dance. But, I did not shop around for an agent like I should have. With that said, she spoke with the buyers agent last night and the buyers will buy with these 1k repairs. So they say right now

What is homeready?

Old 05-03-2016, 06:55 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
HomeReady is a 3% down loan program up to 417K, reduced rates, reduced mortgage insurance. Each area has its own income cap (down to the block).

Old 05-03-2016, 04:31 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
There is new construction on my block if they want perfection for 700k+. That was another thing- the asking price was supposed to reflect needed small repairs.
Then stick with your asking price with the $8K allowance.

Have your agent explain that the asking price and $8k was to reflect that this was an older home that would need some repairs, but that you had a lot of interest at your Open House and you're not ready to drop the price $20K quite yet.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:59 PM

Thanks again for all the advice. The update is that we're doing about 1k in repairs. We're fixing up some flashing and pointing on the chimneys and for the ungrounded outlets we'll ground what can be ground, put GFIC or two prong outlets on what cannot be ground, and give them the 2k estimate to run ground wire. That seems to be ok with them...for now. We're set to got to P&S on Tuesday. I've been so stressed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate