Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 5,519 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning on buying a small house or townhouse in Florida later this summer. I'm planning on buying without an agent and cash upfront. Any advice would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 03:48 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
Agents don't cost you anything, The buyer pays there commission.

Why would you not want to have the experience of an Agent on your "side"? (Keep in mind "your" agent get paid by the buyer, but there goal if for you to get best house so they make a commission from the transaction, They blow you off, or take you to place that are not what you defined as "In Range" you can drop that agent and get a new one to work with you.)

The buyer does not saving anything by you not using an Agent, In Fact the selling agent make a bigger commission, since it does not need to be shared.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:51 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times
Why is this in the Denver forum?

Old 03-20-2017, 03:57 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Agents don't cost you anything, The buyer pays there commission.

Why would you not want to have the experience of an Agent on your "side"? (Keep in mind "your" agent get paid by the buyer, but there goal if for you to get best house so they make a commission from the transaction, They blow you off, or take you to place that are not what you defined as "In Range" you can drop that agent and get a new one to work with you.)

The buyer does not saving anything by you not using an Agent, In Fact the selling agent make a bigger commission, since it does not need to be shared.
I think you mean the seller pays the commission.

Sometimes the selling agent will "rebate" back a percentage of their commission (1-2%) to the buyer. That being said, as a buyer, a good agent will be worth more than that 1-2% saved though. They should know the area, what to look for, know the market, have experience with real estate contracts that most homeowners don't have, etc.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:00 PM

7 posts, read 5,519 times
Thanks, sorry I wasn't sure where to post... I just joined this site. I live in Denver so I went with that! It was my understanding if you don't get an agent you could negotiate lower on the price of the house since the buyer isn't paying an agent is this true??

Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacrose88 View Post
Thanks, sorry I wasn't sure where to post... I just joined this site. I live in Denver so I went with that! It was my understanding if you don't get an agent you could negotiate lower on the price of the house since the buyer isn't paying an agent is this true??
It sounds like you don't have much experience buying a house on your own. In that case, an agent would certainly be of benefit to you because they will make sure that everything is done properly and in your best interest. There are many things about home buying that you don't want to miss, including getting the house inspected before purchase.

City-Data has more than just forums for states and cities. Go to the blue strip at the top of the page (below the City-Data.com banner) and click on "U.S. Forums". Scroll down and you will find a Real Estate forum that may be useful to you and a Travel forum. Also, clicking on US Forums will help you find forums in Florida to help you find your new place.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:26 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,925,972 times
Maybe take a community college course about Florida real estate processes? Or read some books from the library?

Just make sure you are learning about Florida, things differ between states.

The idea is to learn as much as an experienced real estate agent.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:27 PM

14,492 posts, read 12,128,212 times
The total commission is set by the listing agreement. If a share is not paid to your agent, it all goes to the listing agent. There is no assumption that the listing side will lower the total commission because a buyer is unrepresented. They may in fact argue that by having to manage the paperwork for both sides, they have to do twice the work. And that argument has merit.

So you won't save anything, necessarily. And you'll be signing contracts prepared by the seller, by someone with loyalty to only the seller. You will not be advised of special considerations, addendum and terms which would be beneficial to you, but are not required.

Get a local broker to prepare the offer for you, and walk you through the process.

As a buyer, there is absolutely no benefit to not having an agent.

My two cents.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 03-20-2017 at 05:36 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 05:57 PM

251 posts, read 376,296 times
Real estate is local. Seeing how you are from Denver and buying in Florida you should definitely get a buyer's agent who knows the area and knows what to look out for to protect your interest. I'm an agent myself but if I were to try to buy in another state I would hire a local agent to help me.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:52 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,177,644 times
Fooling yourself into believing you don't need an agent is like believing that you outsmarted the car salesman. They know how much they can/want to sell it for and thinking you are going "hornswoggle" the seller is folly. The listing agent knows the local market, probably better than you and he/she has their scripts memorized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate