Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 07:25 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,536,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoe View Post
Isn't it funny how we get attached to homes? I still have the occasional dream about a house I owned 20 years ago. The theme is always the same..that I visit it and sneak inside only to be sad about the changes made and the state of disrepair.

A lot of lip service is given to the phrase "great neighborhood" but in my case it's true. This subdivision has been the best I've ever lived in. It has great balance between friendly but not too friendly. Everyone helps each other out if needed but you don't have the gossip or cliques that form when people are too familiar. Every lot having an acre gives people their privacy but a feeling of belonging. In prior houses sometimes I never knew my neighbors even a few doors day. People just went to work and came home.
Sounds like a wonderful neighborhood to live in, and it has grown in your heart. How do you get this message across to buyers? As far as price, what's your bottom line? If you have to sell because of a job you probably don't have time to wait for the fair market price, you've got to price to sell. Do you have any equity? Do you need equity for your next move? The problem is that your area hasn't recovered from the real estate bust, I have a similar problem in eastern CT. It's a tough situation, best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 08:10 AM

182 posts, read 240,100 times
Orlando area but closer to Lake Mary. We noticed houses are hot down there so we will rent till the market cools a bit but even the hot houses seem like a deal with 2500 a year taxes.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:13 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,814,064 times
Good luck, what a beautiful home, that would cost over a million is many areas. I don't ever recall seeing a home with a 4 car garage, that's a selling point right there.

The thing that's bad about your pics is too many angles of the same room and you don't have pictures of all the bedrooms and all the bathrooms and of the basement and sauna.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 06-13-2016 at 08:37 AM..

Old 06-13-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Sounds like a wonderful neighborhood to live in, and it has grown in your heart. How do you get this message across to buyers? As far as price, what's your bottom line? If you have to sell because of a job you probably don't have time to wait for the fair market price, you've got to price to sell. Do you have any equity? Do you need equity for your next move? The problem is that your area hasn't recovered from the real estate bust, I have a similar problem in eastern CT. It's a tough situation, best of luck to you!
We aren't underwater which is good but we would be lucky to walk away with 6 grand after taxes, real estate commission and other closing cost. In Illinois taxes are paid in arrears so at closing I need to pay all of 2015 and 2016 for the time I lived here. The big chunk of equity we once had just disappeared when the market crashed. We suddenly went house poor.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:41 AM

18,524 posts, read 9,206,389 times
And in other news, buying a house in a sellers market also sucks.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:59 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,536,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
yeah, I watch those shows on TV where the buyers have about $350K to spend, but have to stay in the low $300's because they have to expect a bidding war. I can't imagine!

Old 06-13-2016, 11:48 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,355,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Those are crazy taxes. I wouldn't be willing to run in head first either with taxes like that.
It all depends on what you're used to I guess. Their taxes are about 20% less than mine, their house is 25% bigger on a much larger piece of property.

To the OP, good luck, it sounds like price is your big problem here due to the market, unless the listing is missing some major positive

Old 06-13-2016, 12:57 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,166,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You can't get a HELOC when your home is for sale.
Depends on who your banker is.
I do it for good bank customers on a regular basis.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I can't even imagine the panic that a buyer must feel at the prospect of being locked out of the housing market. Especially when you know the homes are way over valued but you just want a place to call your own. After this experience of losing value I'm reluctant to buy again. At one point a company wanted us to relocate to the Boston area and when I looked at houses I died inside. The cost for a 60 year old house with 1100 sq foot was sobering.

I think the downside of home ownership isn't stressed as much and it should be.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Depends on who your banker is.
I do it for good bank customers on a regular basis.
I don't have a banker unless you count chase. I envy people that have personal relationships with bankers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate