Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 01:28 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,544,686 times

Advertisements

Hi, just needing some opinions here, and I hope this is the right forum because it's also a "personal finance" issue I guess.

My older relative plans to leave me some property. It's in Shasta County outside of Redding, which is not an expensive area. The property has a very old 2 bedroom, 1 bath mobile home on it, and he rents it out to a low income lady. He lives across the street in his house right now. The neighborhood is not far from town, but it's all septic tank.

He suggested replacing the mobile home, or building a small house. (The area has a mix of both) He said if the house were bigger, (like a 3 bedroom, 2 bath) we'd need a new septic tank.

If we chose a mobile or a new build it would most likely be a rental at least for quite a while, but we'd be hiring a property manager because we live 500 miles away.

Any thoughts which would be more efficient to manage from a distance? Pros and cons? This is all new to me.

BTW, he's going to make it so the land has to stay in the family and "can't be sold" so that's not an option.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 01:34 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Why not allow a renter to bring their own mobile home on a yearly lease? That way you only need to provide water. The renter will pump the septic tank every couple of years. You will essentially charge only lot rent, although you will still be responsible for environmental protection--so be careful who you rent to. I have no idea how you deal with kicking the person off the land if they do not follow your lease/rules, though.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:19 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Why not just continue with the current renter?

Putting another home on it will be costly and it will be years before you recover the costs.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi, just needing some opinions here, and I hope this is the right forum because it's also a "personal finance" issue I guess.

My older relative plans to leave me some property. It's in Shasta County outside of Redding, which is not an expensive area. The property has a very old 2 bedroom, 1 bath mobile home on it, and he rents it out to a low income lady. He lives across the street in his house right now. The neighborhood is not far from town, but it's all septic tank.

He suggested replacing the mobile home, or building a small house. (The area has a mix of both) He said if the house were bigger, (like a 3 bedroom, 2 bath) we'd need a new septic tank.

If we chose a mobile or a new build it would most likely be a rental at least for quite a while, but we'd be hiring a property manager because we live 500 miles away.

Any thoughts which would be more efficient to manage from a distance? Pros and cons? This is all new to me.

BTW, he's going to make it so the land has to stay in the family and "can't be sold" so that's not an option.

Thanks in advance!
Hmmm, "plans to", "going to" that really does not sound that definite. While I hope that it does not happen what if he passes away tonight in his sleep? You won't ever own the land unless he does not have a will and you are his sole living relative.

Before you spend too much money putting a building on land that you do not own I would recommend that you think long and hard. As my Mom used to say "Don't count your chickens before they hatch". A lot can happen in the future. I was the primary beneficiary in someone's will for over 30 years, but she "out lived her money" and needed to go into a nursing home under Medicaid. Poof! Her house, the lot and all of her property needed to be sold before Medicaid kicked in. And, I can name several other people who that happened to as well.

I am certainly not complaining about not inheriting her estate, because I am very happy that she ended up in wonderful nursing home and they treated her very well until she passed away in her mid 90s. But, if I would have counted on owning her house,that city lot & her possessions I would have been out of luck.

So, before you spend a lot of money building a house on someone else's land make sure that it will not go Poof! in the future.

Also, unless you have a good friend who acts as "property manager" for a small fee it is often far more expensive than you can imagine to hire a property manager for just one or two rental units.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post

Thanks in advance!
I also wanted to point out that the size of the house does not matter as much as how many people are living there. You could have a five bedroom, three bathroom house or three bedroom, two bath double wide mobile home but if only one person lived there they would use far less water (flush less toilets, wash less clothes, take fewer baths, wash fewer dishes) than if there were a married couple and a teenager or two living in the same 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house that is on the land right now.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:15 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Most counties have limits on the number of bedrooms based on the septic system.

I'm still at a loss as to why you would invest money on improvements to a piece of property you don't own.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback...

Also sorry I wasn't clear... his suggestions were for the future, not now. My queary here was more general only because I'm curious since he was bringing it all up lately. (He just had his 80th birthday) and I'm clueless. He was telling me it was fun to build a house.

As it stands right now, we go up to hang out with him every year and it's been a family vacation spot for years.

So no, not jumping into anything, or buying anything, and of course anything can happen.

Again, thanks for the feedback, I'm getting edjamacated regardless

Old 08-13-2016, 11:11 PM

254 posts, read 458,898 times
Managing a rental of a mobile home from 500 miles away...sounds like a bad idea. After the management fees, you might not make much money. If you have to fly out there even occasionally or spend time dealing with problems, it could eat up any profit. A common complaint I see everywhere is that property managers seem to on average not do everything rental owners think they should. You could end up being sued if the property falls out of code/regulation, could have to deal with evicting a tenant which might require you to hire an attorney in that state, etc.

It seems like a lot of risk for very little reward, maybe, depending on the rental price for a mobile home in the area.

Is there a more local relative you could sell it to, to keep it in the family?

Old 08-14-2016, 03:11 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
Managing a rental of a mobile home from 500 miles away...sounds like a bad idea. After the management fees, you might not make much money. If you have to fly out there even occasionally or spend time dealing with problems, it could eat up any profit. A common complaint I see everywhere is that property managers seem to on average not do everything rental owners think they should. You could end up being sued if the property falls out of code/regulation, could have to deal with evicting a tenant which might require you to hire an attorney in that state, etc.

It seems like a lot of risk for very little reward, maybe, depending on the rental price for a mobile home in the area.

Is there a more local relative you could sell it to, to keep it in the family?
bingo,,,exactly what I was thinking,,,reading this thread

great advice!!

Old 08-14-2016, 10:53 AM

Hmmm... maybe just get a small 2 br 1 bath mobile, and keep it for vacations.
Maybe do some AirB&b?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate