Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:45 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times

Advertisements

Although I did find mine for $56K earlier this year prices are going up quick. A more fixed up version on the next block, but slightly smaller is listed for $100k but on a double lot. It's the same owner I bought from, he got a lot of good deals in 2008 and bought several homes cheap. He rented them out and has made his money back and is selling some now. There is no way it will appraise for that much so he's gonna have to find a cash buyer. I would doubt it would appraise for even $80K.

On the end of that street a home that was bought for $42k was listed at $130K, I guess the guy fixed it up a little. It has a lot and a half, but only 940 sq ft 3/1. He's reduced it twice to now $120K since June. I doubt it will appraise for that much.

I do hope prices do sneak back up, if so in a few years I might be able to find a bigger home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 09:53 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
Have you ever purchased a house this cheap that is livable? i.e., not in a ghetto, doesn't have serious repair problems, liens, etc. For your information, I live in Ohio and there are lots of these types of cheap houses. Many in the $30,000 range and lower. Some in small towns, others in bigger metros. I'm interested in your personal experiences.
If you already live there and have a job I see no problem. Many parts of Ohio have small homes in that price range. Many are 1940's brick 2 BR, 1 BA, LR and Kitchen with a long narrow room upstairs. Many have a finished basement.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:37 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
My experience is that house price levels TEND to reflect local wage levels...
which TEND to reflect local education and skill levels.
Stereotype much?

Old 08-21-2016, 11:38 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
My first house cost me $17k. It probably now sells for $200k or more. So, yes, in the long distant past (about 45 years ago now .. long ago and very far away from Arizona), I have purchased a house for less than $50k. It was small but very liveable and sturdy (as older houses tend to be - if you buy a new construction house now they may not last past the end of the mortgage!).

I am also sure, as others have pointed out, that there ARE still houses (even decent, if small, ones) going for 50k or less ... but they may not be where you want to be.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:32 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Stereotype much?

He's pretty much correct. Low house prices tend to be in areas where the job market, for whatever reason, isn't strong.

That can be for a multitude of reasons from lack of a trained work force to an area where the old industries left with nothing replacing them to an area losing population. Which can be a function of the prior two.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:58 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
Have you ever purchased a house this cheap that is livable? i.e., not in a ghetto, doesn't have serious repair problems, liens, etc. For your information, I live in Ohio and there are lots of these types of cheap houses. Many in the $30,000 range and lower. Some in small towns, others in bigger metros. I'm interested in your personal experiences.
Yes I have and it was in the Pittsburgh area. It was in a safe neighborhood and no issues at all. I actually liked living there and it was so cheap I could do whatever I wanted. Out to eat, and enjoy. Now I live in the most expensive town in the state of PA, so things are different. I sort of miss my super cheap living. I rented it for a while and ended up selling it. I should have kept it. Oh well. Living cheap can be a smart choice. You pay that off and rent it and move up later. That rent will pay your other mortgage. A smart way to live.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:59 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
We bought ours in Ohio for 50k. My uncle is an idiot as far as repairs but other than a roof, theres nothing wrong.

ETA: i will say we are in a lower income area and people mostly rent now so MrRational isnt wrong about that part BUT it did not use to be this way in the neighborhood. It is ALSO street by street. You can go next street over and its higher income and better houses.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:08 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
That's impossible to find in California. But in the midwest, like another poster pointed out, is probably possible.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:02 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Lots of houses where I live for under $50,000.
No jobs here, but no crime and it is very scenic so it is nice for retirees.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:04 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
I live in a $9000 house. A week or two after I moved in someone got into my (unlocked) *car and left me stuff! seriously. Of course the house did need work but I considered it inhabitable. The people who sold it were living here. For the most part it's a great neighborhood and I'm back living here again - after much remodeling. Strong job market but not particularly high wages.

If you figure for inflation that comes to 38K in today's dollars. There are still houses that sell for under 50K. Not perfect of course, but far better than sleeping in a *Honda civic. As gg says, cheap living has its benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate