Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:26 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If you did what you describe to a prospective buyer under those circumstances, just because they knocked on your door, the only person who would be in trouble is you.
Not where I live, people here can read and follow directions when the sign says to call for an appointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 09:26 AM

753 posts, read 1,105,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OP Give some thought to this. I would think being "so carefully observed" by you, their potential new neighbor would be creepier than walking around checking out a property that you are considering buying.
The path people are walking on to get to the back yard passes less than 10 feet in front of my downstairs home office windows. I am a full-time telecommuter. I see the people outside my window, and I know they can see me, too. If they find it creepy to have a neighbor minding their own business in their own home, that's their problem, not mine.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:27 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,927,155 times
If you are driving around, see the house for sale, see its empty, and you are RIGHT THERE.... jeeze, you need to have some leniency if its just looking around. If I want a closer look inside, I'll schedule an appointment.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:29 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,525,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
In general a house offered for sale is available for inspection. If not posted no trespassing there really is no law against walking around. Offended neighbor is not a criteria. If not fenced there may be no law against walking through your back yard either. Check the local laws.

I am an RE Agent so I can claim a certain amount of privilege and can generally talk a cop out of any action if some upset neighbor complains but I will walk around and examine a for sale house even if it is not available for open RE entrance. I will always check to see if anyone is home and will likely ring the bell just to tell them I am there...but that is to make sure I don't get shot as a prowler.
As a real estate agent, you are supposed to follow mls showing instructions. A vacant listing that says show anybtime, fine, go walk around it or go in. If it is occupied and says call LA or owner for appt, then, no, you are not supposed to go on the property without an appt.
If it is a fsbo, you need to call number on the sign for appt. You can't just trespass because there is a fsbo sign.
People list with agents so they don't have to deal with buyers. Occupied homes request appts so they won't be disturbed. They may be sunbathing in back yard, or have young children at home by themselves. If you are walking around home or looking in windows, that's intrusive.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:32 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,110 times
Question well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
People are supposed to "inspect" the house by calling for a showing, no? I wouldn't be upset if there were an agent accompanying these people, but they've just been random people sans agent.
How do you know they didn't get permission? Call the RE and see what's going on...or call the cops and advise of trespassers and see what happens...right?
Koale

Old 08-30-2016, 09:42 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,525,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I did this once recently. I could tell from the listing photos that the house was empty. I generally like to drive by first, if the the area is not to my liking, I don't waste the time of 1 or 2 RE agents. When I drove by this house, it had a long driveway, I parked at the end and walked around the house and looked in a few windows. No neighbors who could have seen me.

I could tell it was not for me and thus did not ask for a showing.

I would NEVER do it unless I was positive the house was unoccupied.
You should be aware that sometimes homes that are currently rented but are for sale, have sale photos from when the home was vacant, since some renters don't have the house stahed, or they don't want their personal things showing in photos.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:07 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It is NOT okay to walk onto someone's property to check it out without authorization. Yes, it happens more today than it used to. I've had agents peek in windows with their clients only to freak out the young teenager home by herself even when the MLS clearly states appointment only.

Some people have no boundaries whatsoever and it is creepy.
Read the whole thread. This pretty much sums it up, though.

lvmensch, our license does give us a limited license to be nosy. It does not license us to do whatever the heck we want whenever we want, nor does someone listing their house for sale, which seems to be the way you are taking it.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:20 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Having a place for sale does not nullify laws against trespassing.

Yes, people who browse real estate sites often like to drive around and window shop, but I always advise my clients against this, even with vacant listings. I would much rather they call us and have us go with them to look at it.

Not only can we get them inside, which is what they really need, but we can make sure the listing instructions are followed and protect them from liability while on the property.

It is not always easy to tell if a place is truly vacant. The listing they found on Zillow might be way outdated and the new buyers have been living there a few months! If it is vacant, it's vulnerable to damage from trespassers, squatters and vandals. You don't want to be there without permission if something has gone wrong at the property.

Your buyer's agent lives to show you properties. Use them! It's our job. If yours doesn't want to show properties, find another one!

Old 08-30-2016, 10:22 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Read the whole thread. This pretty much sums it up, though.

lvmensch, our license does give us a limited license to be nosy. It does not license us to do whatever the heck we want whenever we want, nor does someone listing their house for sale, which seems to be the way you are taking it.
I make my view reasonably clear. I will walk around a home for sale if I know it is vacant and has a suitable entry code. So. as far as I know would any competent agent. I certainly will not suspend looking for concern over a neighbor. I don't believe you would either.

The question about signs and permission to look deals with the trespass statutes and not MLS rules. I don't think you can claim trespass when you have a simple for sale sign up. We use riders to say shown by appointment only etc. And you?

I would never enter the backyard of an occupied home without permission. I would however not hesitate to ring the bell and ask. This presumes it is not in the MLS.

The major point is that the public is not as polite as agents and may well invade a backyard over a for sale sign. If you put one up don't be surprised. And don't expect the cops to do anything about such an entry other than chase the offenders out.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:40 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Fine until you put up a sign that arguable gives permission. Find a law that says that for sale sign or an MLS lsiting don't give permission. If you don't want people to look don't tag it for sale.
EXACTLY! If you don't want people looking at your property don't let the Realtor put a sign in front declaring House For Sale. Posting sign means that you are expecting people to inspect it, otherwise why have a big old sign?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate