Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 10:45 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
EXACTLY! If you don't want people looking at your property don't let the Realtor put a sign in front declaring House For Sale. Posting sign means that you are expecting people to inspect it, otherwise why have a big old sign?
So that nervy people can read that big old sign and call the agents phone number that's listed in big old letters and make an appointment to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 10:46 AM

753 posts, read 1,105,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
If you are driving around, see the house for sale, see its empty, and you are RIGHT THERE.... jeeze, you need to have some leniency if its just looking around. If I want a closer look inside, I'll schedule an appointment.
(1) Nobody would see that this house is for sale just by driving around. The house and sign are both at the far end of a private driveway (with a sign saying it is a private driveway) off a private street in a neighborhood that has no other residential development.

(2) The house is not empty, and even if it were, how would you know if you didn't go right up and look in the windows?

People are getting the address off the MLS listing. (The sign was up for several days previously, but the invaders didn't arrive until the listing went live on the MLS.) People can see the house is not vacant from the MLS photos.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:12 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
(1) Nobody would see that this house is for sale just by driving around. The house and sign are both at the far end of a private driveway (with a sign saying it is a private driveway) off a private street in a neighborhood that has no other residential development.

(2) The house is not empty, and even if it were, how would you know if you didn't go right up and look in the windows?

People are getting the address off the MLS listing. (The sign was up for several days previously, but the invaders didn't arrive until the listing went live on the MLS.) People can see the house is not vacant from the MLS photos.
Then put on the sign NO TRESPASSING! Again if you don't want people looking without an agent don't advertise with a giant sign proclaiming to the general public "HOUSE FOR SALE"

Old 08-30-2016, 11:20 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Then put on the sign NO TRESPASSING! Again if you don't want people looking without an agent don't advertise with a giant sign proclaiming to the general public "HOUSE FOR SALE"
Or perhaps some people should get a clue and stop acting as if they can do whatever they want, whenever they want. If I was the OP I'd have called the law on these people already. My God, do some people not have manners? Or brains, for that matter?

Old 08-30-2016, 11:22 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Just because you *think* people don't have any property rights if something is for sale, doesn't make it true.

A sign does not make it legally OK for you to walk around the property. It just doesn't. You can drive by, or stand out front and look from the road, but I would not go much further than that without permission.

Trespass at your own risk. Better to call a realtor and schedule a showing!

Old 08-30-2016, 11:32 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
A listing and a sign does not give permission for the general public to look in my windows. They could be looking into a bathroom and see me showering, or a child's bedroom. Unless the house is vacant, it's NOT okay. And you wouldn't know if it's vacant unless you check with the listing agent. I wouldn't hesitate to accost anyone entering my property to view it without having an appointment. And I might be wearing my gun when I do it. Keep that in mind when you want to act like a peeping Tom.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:34 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Saying that listing a house and putting up a For Sale sign is inviting random people to trespass in order to view the home is like saying that people who put up a decorative Welcome sign by the front door are inviting everyone to randomly walk through the door. Uh, no. To both.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:39 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Unless the house is vacant, it's NOT okay.
That's the thing... it's NOT okay, even if the place IS vacant. The law makes no such distinction.

Think about it as if it was your own home you no longer live in... a vacant for sale home is vulnerable to break-in, vandalism and squatting, just like any unoccupied building, and people should not be poking around it without permission.

One person's lookie loo is another person's opportunity for crime.

Safest not to do it. You can put yourself in danger or suspicion. Many times from neighbors like this one, who have a vested interest in not wanting vandals and thieves getting carte blanche to case the place.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:43 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,490,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Not everybody rings the doorbell before driving up and looking around.

No announcement to the homeowner, and that's trespassing by law, pure and simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Trespass | Definition of Trespass by Merriam-Webster

Trespass:

law : the crime of going on someone's land without permission

Technically, any time you go on another persons property WITHOUT permission beforehand, it is trespassing. Whether you "knock on the door" or not, is immaterial. If the owner then says it's trespassing, it is.

A listed house is part of a signed contract ONLY between the listing agent and an owner. You (general public at large) MUST have express permission of the OWNER or that agent, before you look over the property.

If you do NOT, it's trespassing!

Look up the laws yourself. Continue to do as you do, and eventually you could end up shot, or in jail.
Then call the police. They will not be able to do anything unless the owner asks the person to leave in front of them and refuses to leave.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:45 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,490,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Or perhaps some people should get a clue and stop acting as if they can do whatever they want, whenever they want. If I was the OP I'd have called the law on these people already. My God, do some people not have manners? Or brains, for that matter?
Tell us what would happen. Use your brains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate