Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2016, 07:20 PM

753 posts, read 1,105,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
In the OP's case, I just don't know how she can be positive that these are trespassers, and why she cares so much. It isn't her house. She should just tell the homeowners and let them deal with it.
In one case it looked like a couple of college kids poking around -- young, sweatshirts and jeans, etc. In my experience, agents dress more professionally, and these kids were not accompanied by anyone who appeared to be an agent showing them the property. They were looking in the windows of the house that is for sale from the back yard, and looking in *my* windows, too, and they left quickly as soon as they saw me looking back out at them. Another person who was wandering around back there was a guy in dress shirt and pants, so he might have been an agent by himself, but given that he also left rather furtively around the other side of the house as soon as he saw me, I suspect he was also just a random trespasser who happened to dress nicely. I'd expect that an agent who had a right to be there would greet neighbors when approached and give out a business card or something like that.

We neighbors do kind of keep an eye out for people who don't belong here because none of us wants our homes/cars broken into or stuff taken off our patios. It's a neighborly thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 10:11 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
This has been beaten to death.
Yes, it has. And yet you still don't get it.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:27 PM

768 posts, read 719,049 times
OP: I've only read to page 8 so forgive me if I am repeating advice already given.

Were I you, I would consult with an attorney as to what you should do to protect yourself. As the pathway to your backyard is shared you may indeed need to put up a no trespassing sign. An example for this might be if someone is allegedly looking at the house next door but wanders onto your property and say a retracting sprinkler head didn't retract. The person looking at the house next door trips and gets hurt and files a lawsuit. It may sound extreme but this type of thing does happen.

I would talk to the neighbors upon their return and express your concerns to them.

I would also put up a window covering because people are going to be looking at the house even with an agent and they are inadvertently going to look into your window.

If you see people wandering around on their own I suggest you meet them in your backyard and ask them if there's something you can do for them. Usually that will be enough for people to realize they are where they shouldn't be at the moment & then leave.

You might also want to keep in mind this situation is temporary and whoever you confront might possibly be your neighbor shortly.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
In one case it looked like a couple of college kids poking around -- young, sweatshirts and jeans, etc. In my experience, agents dress more professionally, and these kids were not accompanied by anyone who appeared to be an agent showing them the property. They were looking in the windows of the house that is for sale from the back yard, and looking in *my* windows, too, and they left quickly as soon as they saw me looking back out at them. Another person who was wandering around back there was a guy in dress shirt and pants, so he might have been an agent by himself, but given that he also left rather furtively around the other side of the house as soon as he saw me, I suspect he was also just a random trespasser who happened to dress nicely. I'd expect that an agent who had a right to be there would greet neighbors when approached and give out a business card or something like that.

We neighbors do kind of keep an eye out for people who don't belong here because none of us wants our homes/cars broken into or stuff taken off our patios. It's a neighborly thing to do.
Maybe. Maybe not. So you had 2 separate parties over one weekend who were probably there without permission? Annoying, I guess, but this too shall pass. At first it sounded like a steady stream of people coming and going all day. Fortunately, most people know better.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:30 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
]If a neighbor comes up and demands to know what "I think I am doing" I will simply tell them to mind their own business.
If you tell a prospective neighbor—especially the one who lives adjacent to the house in question—to "mind their own business," expect a police officer to show up. You are invading that neighbor's space as well, since obviously there is no fence involved. (I'm so glad I am permitted a very tall fence! And when I go to sell my house, there is no way that anyone could get into my backyard without trespassing.)

Also consider that the neighbor may be best friends with the owner and can influence any potential offer you make, or they may offer an incentive to the owner not to sell to you. I would be happy to pay NOT to have you as a neighbor, considering the rudeness with which you express yourself to others.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:52 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,702,403 times
I have to admit, as a buyer, I have actually gotten out of the car and walked around the yard of a house that has a for sale sign and is clearly vacant. I've also had realtors that I called tell me a place is vacant and it ok to do that at a particular house.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:03 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post

That the Looky Lous left furtively when they saw you is a sure sign that they know they shouldn't be there.

You may want to ask you neighbors to ask their agent to put something on the for sale sign that says showing is by appt. only.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:44 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Many posters on this thread made reference to looking into windows of houses that were clearly vacant. How did you know that they were "clearly vacant"?

We recently sold our condo and several times our daughter was shocked to see someone looking in the windows while she was there. Also, several times agents let themselves in with the lockbox and said that they "assumed the condo was vacant".

How could they "assume it was vacant" when the photographs on MLS clearly showed a couch and TV in the living room, a table & chairs in the dining room and a bedroom full of furniture AND the listing says "call to make an appointment" AND "shut the front door & patio doors behind you so the cat does not get out".

Also, on two separate occasions an agent (not the listing agent but another agent) came with potential buyers early in the morning while my daughter was asleep in her bed. Frankly, after the first time that agent should not have used the lame excuse "I thought the condo was vacant so I did not think that I had to call to make an appointment".

And, then the same agent set up a third time with an inspector, contractors, and the same prospective buyer (plus a couple of children) without an appointment and again my daughter was in her pajamas asleep in her bed. How could that agent, and the buyer, possible assume that the house was vacant the third time?

But, we did not want to "make waves" because that person wanted to buy the condo even though, IMHO, their agent was pretty rude and inconsiderate (as well as the buyer).

There is a post script to this story. My daughter and I recently attended the condo's annual summer picnic, as it is a close knit community and former residents typically are invited and attend, and we asked about the new owner. Apparently, the rudeness that they showed to us as sellers was continuing to their new neighbors in the condo complex. I hope that it works out in the end.

Last edited by germaine2626; 09-03-2016 at 04:52 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 04:59 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Many posters on this thread made reference to looking into windows of houses that were clearly vacant. How did you know that they were "clearly vacant"?

We recently sold our condo and several times our daughter was shocked to see someone looking in the windows while she was there. Also, several times agents let themselves in with the lockbox and said that they "assumed the condo was vacant".

How could they "assume it was vacant" when the photographs on MLS clearly showed a couch and TV in the living room, a table & chairs in the dining room and a bedroom full of furniture AND the listing says "call to make an appointment" AND "shut the front door & patio doors behind you so the cat does not get out".

Also, on two separate occasions an agent (not the listing agent but another agent) came with potential buyers early in the morning while my daughter was asleep in her bed. Frankly, after the first time that agent should not have used the lame excuse "I thought the condo was vacant so I did not think that I had to call to make an appointment".

And, then the same agent set up a third time with an inspector, contractors, and the same prospective buyer (plus a couple of children) without an appointment and again my daughter was in her pajamas asleep in her bed. How could that agent, and the buyer, possible assume that the house was vacant the third time?

But, we did not want to "make waves" because that person wanted to buy the condo even though, IMHO, their agent was pretty rude and inconsiderate (as well as the buyer).

There is a post script to this story. My daughter and I recently attended the condo's annual summer picnic, as it is a close knit community and former residents typically are invited and attend, and we asked about the new owner. Apparently, the rudeness that they showed to us as sellers was continuing to their new neighbors in the condo complex. I hope that it works out in the end.
That is quite unacceptable and would result in at least a warning from the RE Board. The Agents broker would also be a good place for a complaint. Now if you don't complain the agent goes on doing it. And for some it is a way of life. They simply ignore such details if inconvenient...and nobody complains so they get away with it. And that agent knows perfectly well what the showing instructions are but is simply ignoring them.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:12 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,734,172 times
I do this all the time.

I'll see something online and if it looks vacant from the pictures on the ad, I'll drive over and have a look around. If I get there and a neighbor calls out to me I chat them up to find the inside story on the house.

But ONLY if I can see that it's vacant. I wouldn't think of stepping onto property that's occupied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate