Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2016, 08:36 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,404,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Exactly right.
Photos never prove vacancy.
Furniture in photos never proves occupancy.

Showing instructions are key.
Photos are often from old files and do not accurately represent the home in question. I found this to be true in the major cities and less so in rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 08:42 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,404,630 times
When I was selling one of my homes in Wyoming a 16 years ago, I had posted the property with No Trespassing signs and had locked lower gates. In coming home one evening a group of people were gathered on my deck having drinks and acting like they owned the place. I backed down my drive and call the sheriff. They were arrested and I pressed charges. They were told by a realtor in another town - not mine that the home was empty and they should go look at.

I did sell the home to someone who saw the article about the trespassers. They were impressed by the swift action of the Sheriff's office. I later recovered the property when it went into foreclosure for a pittance. I still own it and the Sheriff is still my neighbor.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:08 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
When I was selling one of my homes in Wyoming a 16 years ago, I had posted the property with No Trespassing signs and had locked lower gates.

In coming home one evening a group of people were gathered on my deck having drinks and acting like they owned the place. I backed down my drive and call the sheriff. They were arrested and I pressed charges. They were told by a realtor in another town - not mine that the home was empty and they should go look at.

I did sell the home to someone who saw the article about the trespassers. They were impressed by the swift action of the Sheriff's office. I later recovered the property when it went into foreclosure for a pittance. I still own it and the Sheriff is still my neighbor.
I am amazed at all of these stories.

Frankly, I can not even imagine the gall of people who, even at the suggestion of a real estate agent, would ignore locked gates and no trespassing signs and then have a party on someone else's deck.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:04 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Frankly, I can not even imagine the gall of people who, even at the suggestion of a real estate agent, would ignore locked gates and no trespassing signs and then have a party on someone else's deck.
I can't imagine the gall of a real estate agent suggesting such a thing, or even suggesting anything more than driving by a property for sale.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:06 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
It seems unlikely that you've ever lived in some of the places I've lived if you have that belief. Lucky for me in my neighborhoods, urban and suburban, we look out for each other. Do you have any idea how many houses that are for sale, empty or not, are broken into by robbers? Even homes that are still being built are magnets for thieves who make it their business to break in and leave with ... literally the kitchen sink sometimes.

Any time one of my neighbors has their house for sale I make it my business to know who the Realtor is. And if I were to see people wandering around the property and the Realtor in question had not shown up for while, I wouldn't hesitate to call the Realtor or perhaps even the police. I don't know that the person isn't someone who is going to break in the back door and walk off with staging items or even parts of the house. Just last year one of my neighbors who was out of town for a holiday weekend had his air conditioner compressor stolen while he was away. Those thieves didn't even have to break into the house.

A house across the street from me was for sale recently. I knew it hadn't been sold yet because I had talked to the owner the day before. Yet I saw someone drive up and dig out and remove the For Sale sign. I called the neighbor but she didn't answer. So I called the listing agent, whose card I had. I told her and she was shocked. She had not asked for the sign to be removed and didn't know why it was. Later she phoned me to thank me a second time and tell me it was an error on the part of her brokerage, who sent a guy to the wrong address. The sign might have been down for days had I not called and the Realtor was very appreciate of what some people here would consider my nosiness.
We must have lived in some of the same neighborhoods.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:08 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I can't imagine the gall of a real estate agent suggesting such a thing, or even suggesting anything more than driving by a property for sale.
Partial story. Not enough details to know what really happened.

If they busted locked gates and entered a dwelling they clearly committed multiple crimes and should have been arrested.

Note also Wyoming has a set of trespass laws unlike those anywhere else.

Last edited by lvmensch; 09-04-2016 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 12:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
It seems unlikely that you've ever lived in some of the places I've lived if you have that belief. Lucky for me in my neighborhoods, urban and suburban, we look out for each other. Do you have any idea how many houses that are for sale, empty or not, are broken into by robbers? Even homes that are still being built are magnets for thieves who make it their business to break in and leave with ... literally the kitchen sink sometimes.

Any time one of my neighbors has their house for sale I make it my business to know who the Realtor is. And if I were to see people wandering around the property and the Realtor in question had not shown up for while, I wouldn't hesitate to call the Realtor or perhaps even the police. I don't know that the person isn't someone who is going to break in the back door and walk off with staging items or even parts of the house. Just last year one of my neighbors who was out of town for a holiday weekend had his air conditioner compressor stolen while he was away. Those thieves didn't even have to break into the house.

A house across the street from me was for sale recently. I knew it hadn't been sold yet because I had talked to the owner the day before. Yet I saw someone drive up and dig out and remove the For Sale sign. I called the neighbor but she didn't answer. So I called the listing agent, whose card I had. I told her and she was shocked. She had not asked for the sign to be removed and didn't know why it was. Later she phoned me to thank me a second time and tell me it was an error on the part of her brokerage, who sent a guy to the wrong address. The sign might have been down for days had I not called and the Realtor was very appreciate of what some people here would consider my nosiness.
Quote:
We must have lived in some of the same neighborhoods.
Same here.

Our neighbors still talk about the time that a moving truck stopped by our neighbor's condo and we saw furniture being carried out and within minutes several neighbors come out to check on what was happening and at least one of us called the neighbor, who several of us knew was on vacation out of state at that time.

It turned out that his father was moving and had stored a few pieces of furniture at the son's condo and was picking them up. And, of course, the son (our neighbor) knew all about it.

We were especially vigilant because, about that same time, our local newspaper had several articles about burglars who simply pulled up in moving trucks and emptied out entire houses without any of the neighbor's even noticing or caring.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:41 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,526,250 times
Quote:
Me neither.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:51 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,526,250 times
Quote:
Same here.

Our neighbors still talk about the time that a moving truck stopped by our neighbor's condo and we saw furniture being carried out and within minutes several neighbors come out to check on what was happening and at least one of us called the neighbor, who several of us knew was on vacation out of state at that time.

It turned out that his father was moving and had stored a few pieces of furniture at the son's condo and was picking them up. And, of course, the son (our neighbor) knew all about it.

We were especially vigilant because, about that same time, our local newspaper had several articles about burglars who simply pulled up in moving trucks and emptied out entire houses without any of the neighbor's even noticing or caring.
My broker listed a foreclosure that had a nice stainless steel french door refrigerator with ice and water on the door.
He met the neighbor next door and gave him his card and said please let him know if you see anything strange.
Two days later my broker goes back, snd the refrigerator is gone. He asks the neighbor if they saw anything, and he says, "yeah, a red pickup truck showed up yesterday during the day, and two guys loaded it up. I said hrllo, and they said hi, and we're very nice."
Neighbor assumed since they were doing it out in the open, everything was fine.
Another listing he had, 2 people stole the ac units. Also in broad dsylight. Neighbors thought they were having them replaced.

A common way that people break into houses is to go during the day, ring bell to see if anyone is home, and if no answer, they go around back and break in.
For those of you that think it's ok to walk around a house and peer in windows, how does that look different than what those thrives are doing?
A for sale sign with a phone number is an invitation call the agent or your agent and set up an appt to look at a house. Agents should follow listing instructions. If a house says by appr, or call LA for appt, you don't get to go ring the bell, or go peer into Windows or go look out back. If you can't see what you want from the street, Google map it with earth view, and call la.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:52 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times
Quote:

Agreed! That definitely is NOT an invitation to peruse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate