Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 12:35 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,032 times

Advertisements

I've been browsing though catalogs of modular homes and was shocked to see their sticker price - they're often way lower in cost than what I could buy around where I live. Of course it doesn't factor in land, labor, fees etc., but I'd estimate that I could get a brand new modular home put on a chunk of land for where we live for a significant savings in cost compared to buying an older home or a new stick built home from a builder. The advantage is, we can pick from way more options and customize much more a modular home vs a new stick home built by a local builder. Also, most of the builders around here build horrifically designed homes that are wayyyyyyy bigger than what we need. I'm fine with a tinier house. People on other forums have also stated that the quality is often better in modular homes than newer homes built by a local builder for around where we are. True? If you own a modular home, did you get cost savings, how hard was it to deal with all of the permits/finding land/getting on the grid etc? Did a company do all of it for you? Overall, was it worth it?

Last edited by fibonacci; 06-21-2019 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 12:45 PM

14,470 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Modular homes are extremely uncommon out here. I don’t know where you are located. Manufactured homes are very common. Since I often see the terms used interchangeably on this forum, I think we should confirm which you are talking about before we get too far! :-)

Old 06-21-2019, 12:53 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Modular homes are extremely uncommon out here. I don’t know where you are located. Manufactured homes are very common. Since I often see the terms used interchangeably on this forum, I think we should confirm which you are talking about before we get too far! :-)

Sorry fixed.

Modular home examples: Craftsman Style Modular Homes | Westchester Modular Homes

Vs. the traditional stick built homes.

I know there are 'stigmas' with a modular home, but have they disappeared these days due to the huge improvement in quality? I just really cannot stand the new style of homes from local builders. It would be nice to be able to pick something out that I'd like. The issue here in MD is that home builders often build HUGE houses that go for over a million dollars. They want to make as much money as possible and run up the size of new homes to maximize profits. We don't need a massive home and don't want to spend $1-1.5 M to buy a house. I'd much rather spend half to a third of that and invest the rest. A modular home would give more flexibility wrt choice.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:55 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Many of the homes in my community (although all custom) were either modular or panelized. The land is land and the only item to check is to ensure there are no community restrictions on "factory" constructed homes. You'll be surprised how many ignorant people still confuse manufactured homes with modular and when they hear "modular" they are still thinking trailers.

My first recommendation is to get from the modular home manufacture a list of what is included in the price your looking at in they marketing materials. Does it include the home and set and finish, or some or extras??? Next fill in the blank for what is not covered and that will get you a rough estimate of the almost cost.

Here the land, building permits, insurance, site prep, utility lines, foundation, utility turn on, hardscape, landscape, cleanup, inspections, trash, etc., are cost above the modular. Most owners pay the extra for the manufacture's set crew and equipment so they don't have to futz over cranes and parking and all the other little things that pops up when the units are delivered.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:31 PM

14,470 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Sorry fixed.

Modular home examples: Craftsman Style Modular Homes | Westchester Modular Homes

Vs. the traditional stick built homes.
OK those look very nice! And it does appear that you are talking about actual modular homes. I don’t think they are real common in this area so I have no personal experience, but I think once they are finished they are indistinguishable from traditional stick-built homes that are built on site, so there may not be any stigma attached at all.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:11 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,410,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I've been browsing though catalogs of modular homes and was shocked to see their sticker price - they're often way lower in cost than what I could buy around where I live. Of course it doesn't factor in land, labor, fees etc., but I'd estimate that I could get a brand new modular home put on a chunk of land for where we live for a significant savings in cost compared to buying an older home or a new stick built home from a builder. The advantage is, we can pick from way more options and customize much more a modular home vs a new stick home built by a local builder. Also, most of the builders around here build horrifically designed homes that are wayyyyyyy bigger than what we need. I'm fine with a tinier house. People on other forums have also stated that the quality is often better in modular homes than newer homes built by a local builder for around where we are. True? If you own a modular home, did you get cost savings, how hard was it to deal with all of the permits/finding land/getting on the grid etc? Did a company do all of it for you? Overall, was it worth it?

There are no stigmas with modular homes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with modular homes and since they are factory built sections, shipped to site and assembled, they are very much more consistent in quality than stick built homes.

If you can find a modular home design you like and can have it built by a quality company then go for it!

Old 06-21-2019, 03:01 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,918,577 times
The CAD renderings are very attractive.

There is more than just the cost of the land + house. There are costs associated with site preparation and utilities and there may also be impact fees. And there may be other things I have not thought about because I haven't done this.

Some land may have minimum size requirements for houses. Yes, you may think this is crazy but that's how it is.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:04 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Personal Experience? Yes, the family had a lake house that was built by Wausau. https://www.wausauhomes.com/

It held up for 40+ years that we owned it and AFAIK no real problems with it. You couldn't tell unless someone told you.

When they sold it they sold it for what similar houses sold for on the same road.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:29 PM

7,028 posts, read 4,891,679 times
A stick built house is one built on site.

A manufactured house is built entirely in a factory and set up completely put together on someone's land.

A modular house has its panels put together in a factory and those panels are transported, assembled, and put together as a house on site. Sort of halfway in between the other two.

It shouldn't surprise anyone then to learn that stick built houses are the most expensive option, modular homes are much cheaper, and manufactured homes are the cheapest yet. Although it depends on how big the house is and where it's located. Some large manufactured houses can more expensive than smaller modular houses and many times a manufactured house in this area where I live is more expensive than a stick built house somewhere in another part of the country.

You have the most flexibility when you buy a floor plan that can be modified for a stick built house and very little flexibility in the plans of a manufactured house.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:55 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,405,781 times
Modular homes are more prevalent in other countries and not the second world countries either. The balance between stick built cost and modular is distance , cost, to transport it to the site. A plant to build modulars near a large city can be competitive. I know Nordic and Russia cuties are much more favorable toward modular sure to experience with them. We arranged for a home on a golf course in Moscow for an executive that was modular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate