Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 08:19 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times

Advertisements

No, but I might consider it if the cookies were delicious and the real estate contract included a constant transfer of delicious cookies to me while I lived in the house and until the mortgage was paid off.....30 years later..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 08:54 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
The cookie thing was part of some subliminal sales crap that realtors told sellers...also, put out fresh flowers, burn scented candles & other "staging" to make potential buyers interested.

At the beginning of the SoCal boom, one of my neighbors was one of the first to cash in...I still remember the cheap-hooker version of the"Obsession"-scented candle she had going...it wafted over the whole block. I could smell it in my back yard...made me gag...had to go inside.

People still do this stuff?

Old 10-30-2016, 10:27 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Or they pre made the cookies, frozen the dough balls and baked a dozen before you came in the house....

I like idea, but the reality? I don't think it really works....

Really, there's only so much one can do to stage a house. Realtors want the perfect house, but it isn't going to happen. They need to learn to work with what they have

Old 10-30-2016, 10:32 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
My very favorite was when the home was staged with a rolling pin, a bottle of vanilla, a bag of chocolate chips, clean mixing bowl, two clean baking sheets, and a plate of fresh cookies on the table.

Unfortunately there was an empty Toll house refrigerated "break 'n bake" cookie package on the top of kitchen trash can.

So funny that it made me want to take a picture of the scene.

Did you buy it?

Old 10-30-2016, 10:52 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,383 times
I was planning on putting a pretty candy dish out on the counter with some hard candy in it, something high-end, not cheap, and not chocolate, definitely all individually wrapped. Does this sound like a good idea? I always take a piece when I'm inside the bank, the county office, places that offer it. Though, I don't think it'd make me buy a house...

Old 10-31-2016, 09:55 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
There are silly textbook 'tricks' when it comes to selling/buying a house.

Obviously, you don't want a stinky home.
But have you ever bought a house because it smelled like fresh baked cookies?
LOL no, I can bake my own cookies.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:20 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Ultimately if your home is in a bad location, overpriced, and just "meh" then all the ploys in the world won't do much. However, if the home is visibly clean, in a good location, and priced right then scents are the icing on the cake. I like homey, sweet scents. Our previous home had ONE pumpkin scented Wallflower and a vase of fresh flowers. These just added to the ambiance of the home. Got a contract before the weekend was through.

Actually I like vases of fresh flowers whether I'm showing a home or not.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:27 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No, and when I was looking at homes if there was any artificial scent *including baked goods* I left immediately.
Artificial scent/fragrance made me wonder what the owner was attempting to cover up.
^^^ This. I once looked at a beautiful older house where the realtor had scented candles on both levels. It was just sooo obvious that she was trying to cover up something unpleasant. The cookie ploy is another well known bad joke at this point.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:33 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Thumbs up Didn't change my mind, but I did hang around long enough to have a second cookie.

I'll admit that I took longer in a home for sale when the seller left a plate of freshly baked cookies in the kitchen.

I see it as another facet of "staging" a home.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:30 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
True... But they had a point. Cat litter smelling I would be right out that door.
That's stupid. You're not buying the cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
^^^ This. I once looked at a beautiful older house where the realtor had scented candles on both levels. It was just sooo obvious that she was trying to cover up something unpleasant.
Funny. I'd think it was sooooo obvious that the owner liked nicely scented candles.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate