Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 08:38 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times

Advertisements

As said earlier, I had a split. Open front door to an entryway:

6 steps up to 3 bed, two bath, kitchen, dining room, living room, entrance to a screen porch. The main living area.
6 steps down to full bath/laundry, one bed, one den, entrance (same level) to under the house two car garage.

Loved the layout as the "downstairs" was my son's territory. Could also serve well as an in-law suite. The den could be converted with an efficiency kitchen/eat in area and a TV/computer area thus a self contained in-law suite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 03:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
The splits here are entry, kitchen, dining, living room on the main level

Half a flight down is family room, laundry, bath, garage

Half a flight up are bedrooms/bathrooms

As mentioned, they work very well for lots that are sloped.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:17 AM

335 posts, read 801,151 times
As a younger Gen Xer who could technically could afford to buy a house, I HAAAATE the "split entry long-faced" style as Clawsondude's link calls them. Yuck. So boring and generic they may as well have "HOUSE" stenciled onto the side. Unfortunately, we are stuck in an area where that kind of house predominates, especially in the county we would like to move to so I can be closer to work. A couple of weeks ago, we viewed a 6-level, which I had never heard of. I think it's a similar style as mgkeith's old house. It did have a lot of stairs but I didn't mind because the flights were short. The rooms were all good-sized and the exterior was charming, being brick and Craftsman-like instead of plain white siding.

But yeah, I think all types of split entries are pointless, terrible design, and need to go away. Opinionated? Me?

Old 11-04-2016, 06:00 PM

104 posts, read 99,680 times
My son & DIL bought a bilevel. They love it. The previous owner added a large family room on the back with a storage area underneath the addition. My son remodeled the kitchen so it opens to the back family room & is partially open to the dining room. The house is great for parties & family gatherings because of the flow between the LR, DR, & FR around the central open kitchen. The downstairs room is now playspace for baby or a guest room if needed. As for the stairs, my son says he's young & fit; stairs are a problem for the old & unfit.

What makes the house appealing to their crowd are things my generation rejected: skinny window & door trim, no crown molding, low ceilings, "dated" bathroom tile, lauan doors. To their eye, it looks streamlined and modern. A fresh coat of neutral paint colors, add contemporary light fixtures & door knobs, move in some statement modern furniture pieces, put up edgy art on the walls -- voila! It's cool!

Old 11-04-2016, 09:08 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Our millennial "kids" (daughter and son-in-law) bought this house which has 5 levels 10032 W 81st Dr, Arvada, CO 80005 | Zillow
Was it their perfect house? No.
Is it a great school district? Yes.
Was it in their price range? Yes.
Is it in a desirable location? Yes.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:28 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Location certainly influences this, but my clients mostly don't like it. I'm talking the split that has a formal living/dining/kitchen on one level, family room and maybe guest bedroom/bath and garage entrance 1/2 floor down, and the rest of the bedrooms and bathrooms 1/2 floor up.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:05 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Location certainly influences this, but my clients mostly don't like it.
Good. Maybe demand and prices of split levels will drop, and I can finally have my dream house.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:46 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A quad level built in the 50s or early 60s is the home of my dreams. But I'm no millenial, and no millenials I know are buying houses.

If you have a basement, it's a quad level.

Absolutely. I've lived in places where a bi-level is a raised ranch, others where it's a bi-level; I've also heard them called split-foyer homes.
Actually it is a tri level because only three levels are above grade.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:48 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A quad level built in the 50s or early 60s is the home of my dreams. But I'm no millenial, and no millenials I know are buying houses.

If you have a basement, it's a quad level.

Absolutely. I've lived in places where a bi-level is a raised ranch, others where it's a bi-level; I've also heard them called split-foyer homes.
Quote:
Location certainly influences this, but my clients mostly don't like it. I'm talking the split that has a formal living/dining/kitchen on one level, family room and maybe guest bedroom/bath and garage entrance 1/2 floor down, and the rest of the bedrooms and bathrooms 1/2 floor up.
Mists people do not like the two level split level, but this thread is specifically about tri levels which is completely different than a split level house.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Very popular here except there are older folks that simply don't want anything with stairs...

I miss my split-level... like the demarcation of different levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate