Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:03 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,195,244 times

Advertisements

Serious, you cant tell from just photos. You have to look at the sold homes in that immediate area that compare to the house you are looking at. Im sure the listing agents did that to put a price on each house. That is what appraisers have to do. Cosmetic needs don't count unless the house has been redone and upgraded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 01:06 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
Sometimes the decor makes you wonder...

I don't know where to begin with this one. The kitchen, the rustic living room that looks out of place, the stairs painted different colors (background in picture 11), the creepy doll in picture 16, the valance all the way around the bedroom in 15, the beach (picture 18).
5603 Newberry Rd, Durand, MI 48429 - realtor.com®

Old 01-30-2017, 01:34 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,195,244 times
actually I don't see a bad house at all. As for the "creepy doll" thats MAXINE!!! They like BLUE, but that's no biggie.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:45 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
actually I don't see a bad house at all. As for the "creepy doll" thats MAXINE!!! They like BLUE, but that's no biggie.
It was the varied tastes all thrown together that got me. Any one of those I'd shrug and be like whatever. All thrown together is a special kind of decorating style!
And I knew I knew who the doll was. I had a brain lapse, lol. I couldn't think of the name.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:06 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
A lot of things that are "what the hell" may be of high importance to the occupant of the home.

I don't care for the blue in that home, but the owner obviously does and it's probably important to them. Homes are ultimately arranged for and to the tastes of the current owner, and if that person is eccentric, chances are high the home will be too.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:29 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
But why does that one bedroom have a dustruffle (?) on the ceiling?

Old 01-30-2017, 04:36 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
How to Serve Man?
My favorite episode of TZ.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:59 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
That reminds me of going to see a house and not bothering to go in. I went to see a home in an area with well and septic and when we get there I see huge barrels collecting rain water so they must have not been using the well so we left.
That's a greenie thing to do. Use barrels to collect rain water for watering the garden or yard. It's an environmentally friendly thing to do these days. Not uncommon.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:15 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
I saw one small renovated home, the nice thing was that it had a small built in pool, the bad thing was that it had no washer and dryer hookup. I think there may have been a water connection outside for the washer and one to the bedrooms has a 220 plug, so maybe that was for the dryer but I didn't see a vent hole. It also had a one car garage. The crazy thing was that next door was an old abandoned house with the porch door missing so it looked like people had broken in. I don't get why people would put money into a home is a not great area with an abandoned squatter looking home next door.
There were a lot of monster homes around here during the foreclosures. One had let a dog run around and poop all over the house. One had the appliances and copper pipes stolen. Two had basements (rare for this area) literally full of water. Many had holes punched in the walls, some in the floors.

The one that struck me was a townhome advertised as being renovated. It was also a 4/2 in a complex I though only had 3/1's. This cheap guy had taken a cheap linoleum and blanketed the entire home with it along the floor. He'd put up a cheap wall and cut out a door of a small master bedroom to make two tiny, twin bed cells. For the 2nd bathroom, he'd take out the laundry closet (that was right next to the other bathroom) and installed a toilet and tiny sink and closed it off. The washing machine then needed to be manually rolled out and attached to the kitchen sink and the dryer was placed in the garage. Even the person showing the home (agent babysitter) shared a chuckle at what the person had done.

It sat on the market for a long time and eventually sold at a discount to nearby units. People will do odd things with their homes.

One of the full basements was a heartbreaker. It was a beautiful home on a double lot surrounded by a bad neighborhood. Completely the biggest home on the block syndrome. The backyard had an amazing 3 wall covered area with a full bar and cooking area. Apparently a spring ran underground and the basement would always have water in it. Wasn't a thing in it either besides sump pumps on every corner.

Out of all the properties to build up and spend money on...

Old 01-30-2017, 07:18 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Maybe they were nudists? Dont need a washer/dryer for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate